Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movie Reviews

+10
jimkr2t
lovekitties
fluffnstuff
fiffur
WarriorNY
gbste
Bob
BobCat
jeanebellini
Suzzzz
14 posters

Page 1 of 32 1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 32  Next

Go down

Movie Reviews Empty Movie Reviews

Post by Suzzzz Sat May 28, 2011 9:13 pm

We already do this sometimes in a casual way when we talk about what we're watching, but I was thinking it might be fun and helpful to do it more formally. I'm gonna re-post the one I did the other night to start us off:

Millions Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
It's a Brit thing about a kid who has a ton of money literally dropped in his lap. That sounds like a spending spree sorta thing, like Brewster's Millions (remember that with Richard Pryor?), but it's not. It's really a family story. Good heart, sometimes funny, a little scary, a bit magical.
Recommendation: 3 stars for a low stress yet very engaging movie.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Movie Reviews Empty Re: Movie Reviews

Post by Sue Short Sat May 28, 2011 9:40 pm

I'm in.

Goldfinger. Sean Connery as James Bond, Gerte Forbe as Goldfinger, can't remember who did
Oddjob. This is one of my favorite Bond soundtracks with Shirley Bassey. Honor Blackman as Pussy
Galore. It is dated as far as technology but still Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Sue Short
Sue Short
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sun May 29, 2011 6:06 pm

Milo and Otis
cute story narrated by Dudley Moore about a cute little pug and a cute little yellow stripey kitty. hokey and slow but something you can watch on a rainy day. watch with your grandma or little kids ....watch when you're sick and if you fall asleep on it and wake up half way through you can figure out what is going on.
its all over for sale under $5 so you can own it.
Four Paws cat cat cat cat from the Rescue Kitties
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sun May 29, 2011 9:32 pm

The Terminator Like a Star @ heaven

Y'all know me and know this is NOT my kind of movie! But I was feeling a bit edgy when I went to the library, and there it was. Coupled with all the hype about Arnold lately and a snatch of conversation I heard on a morning radio show on my way to work the other day, I got it and watched it last night.

It was HILARIOUS! There was Arnold, all nekkid and pumped up (yet curiously fat-faced) in the beginning (note they didn't show us his weenie -- those steroids'll do a number on that), the way everything fell into place (our hero just happens to escape into the mall where he can get the clothes he needs), the Jaw's like music and heartbeats whenever Arnold was on the prowl, silly cars going 150 MPH (a Gremlin? Really?), and the 80's hair! Every extra had a mullet of some sort! I spent the entire movie guessing which cliche or predictable plot twist would arrive next. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

I can only give it one star because it was such a ridiculous movie. Still, I must be fair. A lot of the cliche's I saw ARE cliche's because of this movie. I suppose it was a groundbreaker in it's day. Plus, the underlying story, however slight, was kinda interesting. Time travel presents interesting conundrums, especially when related people meet. Hoo, I might even get T2 from the library and see what happens.

Okay one & a half stars for giving me such fun. pirat

Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sun May 29, 2011 9:46 pm

Just finished watching Over the Hedge. I saw this several months ago on
commercial TV and didn't think it was very good. Joysanna said she thought it was
very funny, so I decided it to try it again. It was a hoot, the commercial breaks ruined the
flow of the humor. The humor is very slapstick. Lot of fun.

I give it Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

Last edited by Sue Short on Sun May 29, 2011 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot the stars)
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat Sun May 29, 2011 10:36 pm

Suzzzz! Those steroids must not have done too much damage to Arnold's parts or he wouldn't be in the mess he's in today! And I'm sure he was fat-faced because of the steroids as well. I haven't seen The Terminator since it was new. I'm sure it would be a hoot now.
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Mon May 30, 2011 8:51 pm

Thanks for the Over The Hedge review, Sue. I used to like that comic a lot, but my paper dropped it. Sad Meant to see the movie but somehow let it slide by. I'll put it on my Netflix list for the next time I want a good cartoon. (Excuse me. Animated film. Rolling Eyes )

Bobcat, you make a generous point about Arnold. I would elaborate further, but this is a family board. ROTFL

Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Mon May 30, 2011 9:09 pm

You know one of these days I'm going to learn not read this board while drinking
wine. I just snorted it ROTFL
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat Tue May 31, 2011 1:32 pm

That wine stings when it comes out one's shnozzz!
PS - I was a bit surprised that our Suzzzz elaborated as much as she did about Arnold and his naughty bits! Embarassed Movie Reviews Naughtywag_smilie ROTFL

Last edited by BobCat on Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Tue May 31, 2011 8:27 pm

Who, me? I said nothing! Someone's got a naughty mind and it's not m.... oh, who am I kidding? Between the innuendos, wine snorting and finger wagging, we're all in this together! Twisted Evil

Ahem. Okay, class! *claps* Listen up! We need some movie reviews here! What have you seen lately? If you got nothing there, what's your favorite movie and why should we watch it? cyclops
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:06 am

The only movies I watched over the holiday weekend were All Quiet on the Western Front Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven and Abbott & Costello Meet the Invisible Man (on Svengoolie) Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven (+ one additional I love you for my buddy, Svengoolie).

AQOTWF is a powerful, if long film from 1930, showing the psychological toll that war takes on its young soldiers. I'd like to deduct a star for the length, but I won't. Also caught bits of several other, more rah-rah-rah war flicks as well - you know, the John Wayne / Ward Bond flicks glorifying the spirit of the good ol' U S of A.

Abbott & Costello Meet the Invisible Man is good fun, and when Svengoolie presents a film, that's just the icing on the cake for me. Wesley isn't a A&C fan, so he heads for the hills whenever they come on, but I enjoy them. They have a fairly standard formula; a bumbling pair - one brash know-it-all who isn't all that much smarter than the somewhat childlike innocent who always ends up being the unwitting victim, usually to some wily femme fatale who shows him affection in order to get him to do her evil bidding. Fun ensues, and after many chips fall where they may, the two of them get out of their jam, the crooks get what's coming to them, and they all live happily ever after.

This particular formula A&C movie puts the boys in a boxing arena, which is particularly fun since Costello was a boxer early in his career, and along with the special effects for the invisible man, it's a cut above some of the other "A&C Meet..." outings.
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:14 pm

a movie i'd been thinking about recently was on this afternoon(though i say you need to see the real movie and not the hacked up tv version)
FLATLINERS.....its about a bunch med school students to tempt death (or rather...do this experiment where they die for short periods of time and then are brought back)each one has to face something for their past because of their 'experiment'. the look is a bit dated BUT its a great movie that keeps you going through the entire 90 minutes or so.
3 Paws up....plus a I love you for a young Oliver Platt Wink (no Sven, but i like to watch him anyway:) he's like watching a shaggy great dane
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:39 pm

I know Mary loves the oldie comic movies, but I always think they'll just irritate me... until I catch them on TV and get sucked in. Abbott & Costello, Chaplin, The Marx Bros, Harold Lloyd, they were amazing. The Stooges carried it forward in their own inimitable way. I watched the last of my library batch tonight, Dinner For Schmucks, and it couldn't hold a candle to the greats. Hoo, what a waste of time! I suppose if you're a Steve Carell fan it might be fun to see what he does, but I've never watched The Office (makes me way too uncomfortable) and, stand alone, this movie was just lame. Okay, the message was good, but it's been done before with much greater finesse and heart than what I saw. I suspect it was just a box office vehicle for Steve. Hey, everybody's gotta make a living. That's fine. I just wish I'd watched Jeopardy & Wheel instead!

Dinner for Schmucks Like a Star @ heaven

Flatliners interests me in the sense that one is naturally curious to know what happens when we die. Not sure I could sit through this vision of it, though. affraid
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:39 pm

Ok here are some to keep y'all going for a while.

1. The Cowboys, John Wayne, Roscoe Brown, and Bruce Dern.
This is a coming of age movie. Wayne has to have men for a cattle
drive but the only ones availaible are school boys of various ages. He not
only has to teach them the skills of a cowboy, he has to teach them to accept
responsiblity for the own actions. Bruce is wonderful in this as the crazed outlaw.
Soundtrack by John Williams before he went Hollywood. Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

2. Casablanca, what can I say about this one. Bogart, Becall, Peter Lorrie, Claude Raines,
Sydney Greenstreet. Love and honor and a kiss is still a kiss. Soundtrack by Max Steiner Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

3. Charade- Cary Grant, Audry Hepburn, George Kennedy. Sweet romantic comedy and suspense. I think James Coburn
is also in it. Nothing is as it seems and has a great soundtrack by Henry Mancini. Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

That should keep you going for a while.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:55 am

I couldn't agree more about Casablanca, and the Cowboys. I'm not sure if I'd have gone 5 Like a Star @ heaven s on the latter, but you're probably right about that too. I'll have to make it a point to see Charade.

As for the comedies, yes, I LOVE a good old comedy, and as Suzzzz points out by her review of Dinner for Schmucks, comedies aren't just something you can throw together without a bit of thought. That's why I love many of the old ones so. They honed those comedic skills very sharply on the vaudeville stage, where the live audience would let you know immediately whether you made the grade or not. That's how those signature routines became so finely tuned; it took lots of practice in front of an audience. Too bad there isn't that same kind of filtering mechanism available today. We wouldn't see half the comedic crap if there were.

By the way, I found a new smiley for our collection because of this topic. Note our little popcorn guy! Eating I also found a drooly one (that I'm not too fond of, personally) because JB, I think it was, mentioned wanting one in some topic I can't find anymore...
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:48 pm

Hey let's use the little popcorn guy for our movie ratings!!!!! Eating Eating Eating Eating Eating
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:18 pm

yeah that's pretty cute.....i can never find paws for my 'paws up'. as for the drooly....he is kinda weird. but i don't think we'll use him that much..just handy to have something for when you find something really tasty to eat!

I haven't seen Dinner for Shmucks and wonder if i ever will.....i haven't seen the 40 Yr Old Virgin all the way through.Think its sort of like Adam Sandler or Jim Carrey, you really have to like the star to like the movie. Steve Carrell is very funny on talk shows and i've seen some of the Office only when i'm on the computer and its on the channel that is on the tv (don't have a remote for this tv).The only thing i've seen him in all the way through was the "lets do something to bank more bucks from Bruce Almighty' Evan Almighty. it was cute but probably a big part of why i watched it was the critters!

i grew up watching all those old black and white comedies....am thinking i should make a list of my fave from what i've seen.(but its been so long on most of these things!)
I do remember loving YOU"RE NEVER TOO YOUNG, Lewis and Martin. ( i know its a remake of a movie that starred a woman but can't remember what that one is called) Jerry goes under cover as a kid (yeah a HUGE kid with 5o'clock shadow)to escape some hoods who's crime he witnessed. I especially liked the scene in the train car. (i've been fascinated with those tiny little bathrooms ever since).
giving it a Eating Eating Eating in the old B&W Lewis and Martin category. (in B&W comedy category Eating and 3/4)
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:31 pm

Jerry Lewis is often not my cup of tea, but I loved him in The Geisha Boy. That was sooo sweet! Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

I've never seen The Cowboys. I think I must. I've always heard it was good. Casablanca, of course is a five star. Charade? That was a 60's spy thriller sort of thing wasn't it?

Wait, I forgot to say, I love the new Eating smilie!
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:43 pm

Yes, it was. I think it also had Walter Matthau.

Another one of my favorites is the Pink Panther. David Niven, Peter Sellers and
Richard Wagner. Henry Mancini soundtrack. I know Sellers was supposed to be the
comidic lead but to me it was David Niven. I can't remember who the female lead was. Still
great fun. Eating Eating Eating Eating Eating
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:42 am

I cannot stomach Jerry Lewis, but if The Geisha Boy ever shows up on my small screen, I'll tune in to see it just because Suzzzz liked it.
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:36 pm

yep Walter Matthau was the bad guy in Charade. its one of those twisty turny movies. i don't think it was Hitchcock but it reads like a Hitchcock.

hmmm....how about your fave Hitchcock flick?
as much as i love Psycho i really like The Birds. Every time i've seen that movie i see something new in it. (and i even read the story/book it was based on which was even scarier than the movie!).
Psycho.... Eating Eating Eating for suspense (and motherly love affraid )
The Birds .... Eating Eating Eating Eating for freakin ya out and making you look like feathered creatures in a different way!
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:56 pm

Never been a fan of Hitchcock but I've always enjoyed Rear Window. James Stewart and
Gene Kelley are the leads. Raymond Burr is in it before he became Perry Mason.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:43 pm

I loved The Birds (though that playground song sticks in my head like glue!), and liked many of Hitchcock's films. An early film of his, Shadow of a Doubt springs to mind, because he cast such a handsome and charming actor, Joseph Cotten in the starring role. It's a definite Eating Eating Eating Eating Eating in my book, and though I have some thoughts on it, I won't go into any more detail in case someone wants to rent this one.
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:55 pm

BobCat wrote:That wine stings when it comes out one's shnozzz!
PS - I was a bit surprised that our Suzzzz elaborated as much as she did about Arnold and his naughty bits! Embarassed Movie Reviews Naughtywag_smilie ROTFL

This from the woman who sniggered about my magic 'dongle' phnarr Embarassed
Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:00 pm

Watched two old black and white movies the other day. Remembered them from my youth (yeah, I have a good memory for my age. lol)
'Night of the Demon' starring Dana Andrews and Niall McGuinness. Truly unsettling stuff and highly recommended. Eating Eating Eating Eating Eating

and
'Night of the Eagle', based, ever so loosely on a Fritz Leiber (he of Fafhrd anf the Grey Mouser books) novel called Conjure Wife. Peter Wyngarde stars in it. Really chilling tale with a really spine tingling finale.
Eating Eating Eating Eating

Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 32 1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 32  Next