Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Xavier is coming!

+6
gbste
Suzzzz
jeanebellini
fiffur
Sue Short
bpaquet
10 posters

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Xavier is coming! Empty Xavier is coming!

Post by bpaquet Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:09 pm

My application has been approved! Very Happy I need to call them to arrange the transfer. I assume there will be some vet work before he can cross state lines. (Rules say the horse has to have a health exam to go between states.) I'll be calling them either tomorrow or Monday. I don't know if the number they sent is a business or personal one.

I'm excited and scared all at the same time. New territory...
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Xavier is coming! Empty Re: Xavier is coming!

Post by Sue Short Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:22 pm

What wonderful news Becky. You will do fine, your a great
horsewoman and he has such a kind eye that you all will do fine.
I'm sure both the group and your vet can tell what is needed.
Sue Short
Sue Short
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:25 pm

I think this will work out beautifully Becky. Xavier does have a kind face, and even kinder eyes. I have no doubt Sabi and Envoy will love him, and so will you.

Any updates on that lady who might've wanted Curly Sue? Has she been out to see her yet?
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:21 pm

becky its always like that...whenever there's change there's always those feelings. i'm sure everything will be fine....after a few days of getting used to things (new barn etc) he should feel right at home with new friends and a forever home!
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:51 pm

Great news, Becky! And many blessings on you for having the courage to step into this new territory. You know better than most that there are no smooth roads; there will most certainly be bumps. But I can think of no one better equipped with heart, strength, practicality and humor (not to mention amazing vet/farrier backup) to rise to the challenge. Good luck, darling!

I hardly need say, keep us posted!
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:16 pm

I guess it's first things first... I need to get new tires on the truck. (GULP!!) I've been putting it off because they aren't REAL bad and I don't go very far. Well... Now I need to go far and I should just take care of it. I should also get the oil changed. (GULP AGAIN!!) Diesel trucks are great as far as longevity and mileage, but the oil changes are a bit frightening. Oh well. Again, I need to just do it.

I spoke with the lady yesterday. They want to know when I can get him. I had a lot of questions that affect that date like where will I pick him up. All that depends on how much time I need to take off work, which plays directly into when I can pick him up. I am waiting for their transporter person to call so we can work things out.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:53 pm

This is so exciting. Xavier is a beauty and once things settle, everyone will be happy, I'm sure.
gbste
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:44 pm

Listen to me, Becky. You'll have a long drive each way, even with stops with friends, and neither you nor X need a breakdown. Get your truck a proper pre-trip check by a mechanic you trust, and have them check the tires on the trailer, too. If the stuff you have to fix is going to take a few days, then this dream might have to extend itself. I hate saying that, but this is important. A wing & a prayer is fine for movies, but those of us with no background-soundtrack have to be practical.

Xavier is fine where he is for now, and you gotta know they're thrilled and grateful you want to take him. They'll be patient. Give yourself time to prepare and lay your plans, for X and YOU. You'll need to be at your best, love, and that means rest, food, sleep. You need to consider that, too.

My God, I sound just like my mother. Thing is, she was always right. cyclops
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:32 am

That's ok, Suzzzz. I need somebody to give me a "momming" sometimes. My mom is unaware of the whole thing right now. I want to get the plans in place before I worry her with details. Who knows? I might need to bunk at her house for a night. She's on the way to where X is now.

The trailer tires are brand new -- thank goodness. I ran over some road debris this winter and had a wonderful blowout. Since the tires were old, I took it in with the spare on it and asked them to replace all 4 and keep the best old one for a spare. I have a sinking feeling that truck tires are going to run around $500. Ugh! But, it does need to be done. The oil change is on the schedule anyway. It's due in May...

I haven't heard from the rescue organization's transport person yet, so I'm up in the air. No clue when all this is going to happen.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:34 pm

I am so excited for you! All the waiting will make the homecoming all the more sweet. How do you think Sabi and Envoy will act when you unload Xavier from the trailer at home for the first time?
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:11 pm

First of all, congrats Smile I can't wait to hear more Xavier stories.

That's a good price for truck tires. New ones for my bitty car cost $575 brand new...!
ARNIgal
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:43 am

It might very well cost more. I've had the truck for 5 years and this is the first time I've put tires on it. My Toyota is cheap to put shoes on. It's 22 years old and runs like a champ. I put the cheapest tires I can justify on it.

I filled out my agreement to take X last night. I have to send verification of regular vet work and allow them to check on him. I doubt they will since they are in NJ and it's quite a hike down here for one pony. But, I wouldn't mind. He will be getting all the stuff they require.

I did ask their adoption manager if there's a way I can contact his foster family to find out about his feeding, if he wears blankets, anything special I'll need to know for vet/farrier, etc. I'll probably hear back tonight.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:04 pm

It's always good to talk to the folks who are caring for him now, they'd know him well enough by now. Maybe he has some interesting quirks you should know about?
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:23 pm

There is a good chance that he has some issues. Most rescue animals do. Then again, he might be completely over all his past. I won't know until he gets here. Arabians bond with their people, so I'm sure he will be lonesome for a while until he gets used to his new home and people. At least he'll have other horses to keep him company and show him the ropes. (Hopefully Envoy and Sabi won't show him their BAD tricks! Laughing )
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:10 pm

wait...did you say the horse rescue is here in NJ? does that mean you'd be coming up this way to get him or are you going to do a meet me part way deal?
i doubt you'd be coming up anywhere near this way but just wondering where he might be!
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:32 pm

The rescue is based in NJ, but Xavier is fostered in TN. I hope I'll be meeting him part way, but if not, I'm driving all the way to the middle of TN. That's a LONG drive from here. I wish it were NJ. That's 6 to 8 hours. Where he is in TN is about 15. Oh well... We'll see when I talk to the transport girl.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:47 pm

geez you're closer to NJ than i am to MI! i wonder who else is that close? (we really need to do a Mutts get together one of these days! a pug group i'm in has done it four times.....three times on the west coast and once over here...so its really not impossible!)
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:03 pm

I hope she calls you soon, the weather is supposed to quiet down some next week, so that would be a good time to make that long drive. I'd hate to have you and Xavier be on the road and a huge thunderstorm shows up. Or worse yet, tornadoes. **shudder**
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:35 pm

Yikes! After I saw the pictures of Alabama, I don't ever want to see a tornado. At least they give us several days to prepare for hurricanes.

No word today. We screen our calls at home, so I hope they aren't trying to call and avoiding the answering machine. I think I asked them to call the cell, so I think they just aren't ready to make any plans.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:40 pm

maybe the weather will settle in the next couple weeks. i know about tornadoes...lived through more than i can remember. though those were all back in MI..haven't seen one since i left. i think they mostly hit flatter land than around here. it seems the new tornadoes row is the south.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:46 am

It's looking like it will be soon. The rescue page says "Adoption Pending!" on Xavier's entry. Smile So, I think the details are being worked. I just hope things just fall at a convenient time without too much reorganizing. I don't mind moving doctor/dentist appointments since those aren't fun things for me. But, I have a play to see on May 20 and I can't rearrange that. I've been looking forward to it for months! Of course, X is more important, but I REALLY want to see this play.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:12 pm

I have a feeling Xavier will be home before then Becky. Very Happy
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sun May 01, 2011 4:45 pm

Either before or after. Sabi has his dentist appointment on the 16th and the play is on the 20th, so if I can't do it in the next week or 10 days, it will probably need to wait until June. But, I'm not really worried about it. They will contact me when they can and I'll figure things out. I am hoping X can get to either NC or MD so I won't have to take as much time for the transport, but that will depend on the money. If it's much more than $1000, it doesn't make financial sense to have him transported.

Feeling a bit confused and concentrating too much on details I can't control. I should just go and have a nice drink and relax!
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue May 03, 2011 1:32 pm

Yes, please do. You will have a lot to do when he gets there, settling him in, introducing him to the family, etc. Get some rest and relaxation while you can.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Thu May 05, 2011 11:47 pm

He's coming soon! May 12 is the expected arrival date. I could have waited 2 more weeks, but I was afraid it would get really hot and his trip would be harder. The transportation manager was supposed to call tonight, but maybe she had to coordinate with the driver. If I don't hear from her tomorrow, I'll call the adoption person again to see what's up. They are using a professional hauler, and the rate was extremely reasonable. They are charging me about what it would have cost me in gas to get him myself. I can't argue. They just asked me to evaluate the driver, the rig, and the way they handle the horse. Very reasonable.

I'm excited. I have to keep him separated from the others for a few days to be sure they get along and to be sure he didn't get some bug from his travels. Then, it will be introductions all around.

The timing can't be better. Curly Sue is going home on Sunday, so Sabi and Envoy will not be "alone" for too long. cheers I'll have to throw a little party for Curly Sue on Saturday. She's been a wonderful girl and I'll miss her. She really is a sweetie.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next