Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Definition of CHUTZPAH

5 posters

Go down

Definition of CHUTZPAH Empty Definition of CHUTZPAH

Post by lovekitties Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:36 pm

from the Hebrew huspah, yiddish khutspe
meaning : audacity, brashness, gall, nerve
classic definition: the man who killed his parents and then asked the court to go easy on him because he 's an orphan

So here's a case from my own neighborhood
There was this guy who hung around the diner where I eat, opening doors for people (whether they wanted him to or not), and accepting handouts from them. The owners didn't care and let him do his thing. They even gave him free coffee and sometimes food.
Then they found out he was charging patrons for parking in the diner's free parking lot!

needless to say, he's not hanging around anymore.

do you know of any cases of chutzpah?
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Definition of CHUTZPAH Empty Re: Definition of CHUTZPAH

Post by Suzzzz Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:38 pm

What a great story! I can't think of any examples at the moment, but couldn't let this pass without a stunned headshake and a great laugh. Thanks! Laughing
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:07 pm

From my ignorant shiksa point of view, I always thought people used the term chutzpah more positively than this definition would imply - for example, the story of David vs. Goliath. To be honest, I know I've seen stories like the ones LK described, but I can't think of any right now either. Except maybe our former IL governor Blagojevich and his recorded conversations regarding selling the senate seat left vacant when Obama became president. He really had some nerve bragging about having this thing that was "GOLD!" and he wasn't going to give it up for nothing.
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by piercingsavedmylife Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:07 am

A guy walked up to me last month and said this, "I saw your tumor know about Jesus."
piercingsavedmylife
piercingsavedmylife
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:50 am

Lovekitties, did that restaurant try to have that guy arrested after they found out what he was up to? If not, he probably just took his show down the road.
fiffur
fiffur
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:15 pm

Lots of people will get in your face who are, in fact, just plain crazy. Like that Jesus guy, Pierce, or, frankly, Blagojevich. But, from their point of view, they have chutzpah.

The only true example I can think of at the moment is a time a while back when my ex (not ex then) heard screaming outside his little machine shop (in an iffy part of town) and stepped out front to see a big man hauling a woman around by her hair in the vacant lot across the street. Sam yelled and the guy stopped cold, still gripping the woman. They stared at each other. The guy yelled something about mind your own business, man, and Sam yelled back that he'd already called the police. (not true) They continued to stare each other down for what Sam said felt like ages. Then the guy threw the woman down and took off.

The woman took off, too, and we never heard what, if anything, the police found out. All Sam said later that he was glad he didn't have to go fight the guy. You have to know Sam. He'd have done it. If the definition of chutzpah is audacity, brashness, gall and nerve, Sam had it. He was utterly fearless and truly pure of heart.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by piercingsavedmylife Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:32 am

How about Joan Rivers (need I say more?)

And Eminem, he isn't afraid to speak his mind and isn't afraid to look like a jerk.
piercingsavedmylife
piercingsavedmylife
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum