Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Squeak the Cousin Kitty

5 posters

Go down

Squeak the Cousin Kitty Empty Squeak the Cousin Kitty

Post by bpaquet Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:28 am

I have a friend who has a lot of issues. She has physical difficulties and is unable to move well. Her strength and balance are affected. So, her older kitty, Squeak, started having neurological issues. Her hind end doesn't move well, and she falls over when she tries to walk. This means that she can't make it to the litter box, and is sleeping in her own mess. The poor house is a mess too because my friend is unable to bend over to clean immediately.

My friend called the mobile vet who said Squeak's kidneys seem remarkably good for an 18 year old kitty. She has no sign of diabetes either, just hyperthyroid symptoms. He left some pills for the thyroid and my friend ordered some special meds for nerve function that might help. No promises.

I went over last night to bathe Squeak and put on some doggy diapers to try to keep her more comfortable. If this is the end, she shouldn't have to spend it in a soggy mess. It was quite the ordeal for both of us. Squeak does NOT like to be handled by anyone other than my friend, so she fussed. But she got a sponge bath and brushing. I also picked her up so her mom could hold her once she was cleaned up.

Now, it's on to cleaning the house. This is going to be weeks (months?) of work. There are kitty bombs all over, and lots of mold. I wish I had visited earlier. It would have been easier to help her keep it clean than to try to clean up what looks like years of neglect. But, it must be done. My friend won't be able to get any better if her environment makes her ill. Same goes for poor little Squeakie.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Squeak the Cousin Kitty Empty Re: Squeak the Cousin Kitty

Post by BobCat Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:38 am

Bless your heart, Becky.
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:41 am

Squeak and her mom are lucky to have you.
gbste
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:32 pm

OhLord Becky.............I suspect Squeak isn't having a lot of fun in her current condition. I'm hoping the hyperthyroid meds work, but if not......her mom may have to do the final kindness and let Squeak go to the bridge.
They are both very lucky to have you.
fiffur
fiffur
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire Flower Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:40 pm

You are a great friend, Becky.

Fire Flower
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:55 pm

My friend says Squeak has made some small improvements. She isn't moving anywhere close to normally, but she did sit up. That is big progress. She also didn't make as much mess. She still doesn't like getting her diapers put on, but they are helping her stay more comfortable.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:31 pm

Glad it's helping some. Are the meds kicking in yet?
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:42 pm

I go to visit Squeak and her mom on Sunday. I'm going to bring the truck and take stuff from the house to the dump. There are lots of boxes that just need to go. I hope to attack the mold in a couple rooms too. I'm pretty sure that's going to minimize my desire to clean my house. Smile
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:40 pm

Then again it might inspire you to deep clean it. I helped gut an entire house packed with years worth of crap, worse than anything you've ever seen on hoarders. Made me get my place so clean when I got home (after I rested up).
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:02 am

It was exhausting and STINKY. I found mountains of kitty poo in and under the boxes. I dug out one room and still need to get at the woodwork with something to get rid of the mold and smell. It's better but still not up to snuff. I go back in a week to continue.

Squeak isn't improving, but she isn't getting worse either. She's still unable to walk, but she's feisty and angry. She wants to be her old self, I think.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:56 pm

That's probably the case....she's grumpy because she can't do what she wants to anymore.  Kinda like my mom sometimes. Not a lot of fun to live like that. Too bad you can't ask her if she still wants to keep on going or not like you can a person.

That sort of work definitely is just that Becky, filthy and exhausting both mentally and physically.  The house I gutted to keep it from being condemned had dead and living mice (EEK!), tons of spiders (EWWWW!), moths, and kitty poo and puke among the furniture (ruined) and debris (4 large dumpsters worth in the livingroom alone).  The pantry, which hadn't seen the light of day in ages upon ages, was horrible.  Like digging through history: cans without upc codes, exploded cans, petrified food, you name it.  Stuff I had to literally soak off the countertops it was stuck so badly, then bleach to remove the stains and smell.  There was literally only a small path through the kitchen. The livingroom was completely impassible, so was the basement. Told my friend (it was her hoarding daughters' house we were gutting) who was helping me "We need a backhoe, a conveyor belt, a dozen more helpers, and snow shovels to deal with this." She agreed with me wholeheartedly. ("Where on earth do we start?" "Just pick a corner and start digging. I'll meet you somewhere in the middle, eventually.") I watch Hoarders now and then and keep saying: "That's minor compared to what I've seen and dealt with."
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:23 pm

Squeak decided that yesterday was the day. The vet came to the house, and she passed away quietly. In some ways it's a relief. In others, it's the beginning of the biggest challenge. Now, her sister kitty, Nibbles, will need to figure out how to be an only kitty. She'll have to start using the box again. She's never been an "in charge" kitty. I wonder how she'll make the transition. For now, she's mourning, so all of this transition stuff will wait for a few days.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire Flower Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:26 pm

I am sorry to hear about about Squeak.

She is no longer in pain.

Fire Flower
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:49 pm

Poor Nibbles.......I hope she makes the transition to only kitty without a lot of trouble.
I am sorry about Squeak, but also relieved since she's not hurting anymore.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:24 pm

Nibbles is doing well with the transition. I have not had the heart to ask if she's gone back to pooping in the box. She was distressed during her sister's illness, and she messed up the whole house. I sure hope she's gone back to her good kitty ways!
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:52 pm

I hope so too.....for her sake.
fiffur
fiffur