Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gateway from twig to pig

+3
BobCat
fiffur
bpaquet
7 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Gateway from twig to pig - Page 2 Empty Re: Gateway from twig to pig

Post by fiffur Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:45 am

What about peach ice cream? I bet Gateway'd like that.

(((((((((((((((((((HEALING VIBES FOR LEG)))))))))))))))))))

I know Bij would like strawberry ice cream since he loves strawberry marshmellows.
fiffur
fiffur
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:06 pm

Glad you had some antibios to put on GW's leg, Becky. Abcesses are the worst! Doesn't sound like this will turn into that, but I know you know to look for that telltale swelling. Healing vibes to our Gateway!
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:43 pm

Oh yea... Abscesses... Ick! Gateway's leg is a lot better now. I can still see the little sore, but it isn't red or hot, so it's healing like it should. He's licking it, but I think that's just normal kitty behavior. It probably itches like crazy.

I bet he would chow down on peach ice cream, Fiff. I haven't seen peach ice cream in a long time. I'll have to check at the hand made place that's on my way home from work. I love that place, but can't leave without a milkshake. If I go hunting, I'll be addicted and then fat as a house by the time they close at Christmas. (Not much business for ice cream in the South in the winter.)
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:22 pm

Glad to hear that Gateway's leg is better. Ascot used to think he was mighty
hunter and go after the jays and mockingbirds. Instead he would get pecked
and the wound would form an abcesess. GROSS TO THE MAX!!!!!!!!

What's this about ice cream in the winter in the south. EXCUSE ME
but here in Texas it's all year around.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:58 am

If you can't find peach ice cream maybe you can find an old cheap ice cream maker somewhere and whip up a batch by yourself.

Glad to hear Gateway's leg is much better!
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:58 pm

glad to hear the leg is healing up...i haven't been able to get in here for more than a few minutes in the past few days (computer acting screwy...found i had a trojan and got rid of it last night)so this is the first i'm reading about it.

as for ice cream...it might be because its a i little indie ice cream place that they close down in the winter even in the south? i know there are some places that stay open year round even here in the north ..like the Cold Stone. Never been in one up here...but used to go to Marble Slab which is the same thing but a different name when i lived down south.

look for Edy's ice cream to find Peach..i think they have peach ice cream in the summer.
ya know...there's this little plastic ball thing you can buy (usually at places that sell camping supplies)that you only have to add basic ingredients to (nothing fancy...not store bought 'mixings')and make your own ice cream so you can maybe control some of the stuff that goes into it and make Gateway his own peachy flavor:)
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:32 pm

We're in the north part of the South, so maybe that's why the little mom and pop ice cream place closes. I do know that they're hopping busy all summer long, but pretty empty around Thanksgiving. I go until they're closed and then I'm about done with the stuff until it warms up. There's a Cold Stone near my work, but I'm kind of an ice cream purist. I don't necessarily want a bunch of stuff folded into it. I will check out Edys though. We have an ice cream maker, but we don't really know how to use it. We got it at a yard sale and the directions weren't with it. So far, no luck.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:35 pm

you can get plain ice cream (no mix ins) at those places with the marble counters;) its cheaper that way anyway! there used to be one about a block from where i worked in TX and i'd go in there and get soft serve! man i can taste the 'sweet cream' soft serve in my mind!

i looked at the grocery store today and Edy's does have a peach...its one of their special summer flavors but its still out there. another brand had an orange flavor....i had to look card to make sure it was an orange slice on the label and not a peach! i was very tempted to get some ice cream but passed it up. maybe tomorrow if i don't have to buy any kitty chow and its about the same temp i'll get some. i've been jonesin for ice cream for a week and a half!
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:11 pm

I read that you can make your own ice cream maker out of two different sized coffee cans, some ice, and rock salt. You put the cream, sugar, and flavoring in the smaller coffee can and seal the top with the lid (hopefully it's a tight fitting one). Add a bit of ice and rock salt to the bottom of the bigger can, put the smaller can in, then pack the space between the sides with more salt and ice. Seal it up with the lid, and roll it back and forth across the counter or floor until the cream solidifies. That will bring it to the soft serve stage. If you want the ice cream harder, just pop the can into the freezer for a couple hours.

I know there are several super simple recipes online somewhere.

Last edited by fiffur on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:00 pm

Ice cream is pretty easy to make. I just haven't done it in a while. We made it a lot when I was young. A friend who lived on a farm had one of those crank things. We almost broke our arms cranking that thing. The weirdest ice cream we ever made was with goat's milk. I didn't like it much at the time, but I bet I'd love it now. Goat cheese is fabulous -- in all its forms.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:39 am

I've read that the coffee can way is supposed to be fun, especially if you roll it back and forth with a friend! Easier than cranking it at any rate.

I'll have to see if I can find a couple empty coffee cans................

Remember the ice cream strip where Mooch asks for tuna flavored ice cream? I bet you could even make that, but only the kitties would want to eat it.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:12 pm

I bet the coffee cans ARE fun -- especially at a picnic or when the AC is on the blink. I think I might try it. I'll have to borrow a big coffee can because the coffee I make only comes in the smaller cans.

I do remember that strip. Mooch... What a goofball. Laughing Gateway doesn't know about tuna. No fish for him since GK can't do it. But chicken flavor would work for him. (Sounds TERRIBLE to me.)
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:05 pm

mooch and earl make that ice cream trip every year;) i wonder if it coincides with a local ice cream place opening everything year around Patrick?

scouts make that roll back and forth ice cream ...i think that's where it came from.
we sell a little ice cream maker at the store but you have to buy the packets of stuff that go with it to make the ice cream so its not so cheap. probably good for once or twice but not for people who like ice cream often:)

what did the goat milk ice cream taste like? was it stronger or sort of 'gamey'?
has anyone ever had custard ice cream? i've seen it on food shows on tv and i've seen it on the net but i've never seen it in a store.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:13 pm

The goat's milk ice cream had a tang to it. It was still sweet, but the milk flavor was just different. I don't know if you've tried goat's milk. It's a tang almost like buttermilk. I like goat cheese better than goat milk, and I haven't seen goat's milk ice cream since I moved away from Maryland in 1981. I bet I could make it though. There's a goat farm not too far away. If I made a deal with the farmer, I'm sure I could get some milk even though he isn't allowed to sell it at the farmer's market. (Stupid rule about having commercial sterilization facilities. Sigh... I have a microwave. I can pasteurize my own milk.)

I haven't seen custard ice cream around here, but our ice cream store sells gellato. YUMMM! It's custard-y and even has less fat than ice cream. So, it's health food, right?
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:25 pm

Since I'm not into buttermilk I'll pass on the goat's milk.
All this talk of ice cream has got me ready to raid the Lair.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:54 am

I'm surprised as hot as it's been down in TX that you haven't raided the freezer at the Lair already!

I'll look around and see if I can find a super simple ice cream recipe you can make in a coffee can..............if I find one I'll post it in 'recipes'.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:33 pm

Gateway's sore is really healing well. He was very playful today, so his leg's feeling better. It's open, which is good because it looks like a puncture. Can't scab that over because that invites infection. It isn't hurt looking any more though. Now it's just a little wound that is getting better.

Ice cream here is gone. Sigh... Need to go to the store tomorrow and get some new stuff. Maybe I'll get gelato.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:41 am

Glad to hear the sore is better, and Gateway is so much like his old self again. Is that sore still seeping or has that stopped?

(((((((((((((((((STRONG HEALING VIBES)))))))))))))))))))
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:55 pm

Nope. No seeping. It's almost healed up today. Looking really good.

Gateway spent a long time outside playing in the tall grass. We didn't mow last week, so he has his own savanna to hunt in. I saw him pouncing around in the yard. No idea what he was hunting, but he was having a blast doing it.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:52 pm

The imagery Becky, the imagery!!!! Very Happy
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:53 am

Oooooooooo, I wish you'd taken pics of that! I bet he was soooo cute pretending he was a lion on the savanna hunting.

How about catnip ice cream? Even we peoples can enjoy that flavor, since it's related to mint.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:50 pm

He would love that. Unfortunately, my nip plant succumbed to the drought. It's pretty dried up. But... I do have a bunch of mint that's in a shadier area. Maybe I'll plant some nip there.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:10 pm

oh no...do you need seeds too? my pop bottle planters aren't quite as prolific as they used to be. but they're still growing:) (think next year i'll need to add some more dirt or replant them) someday i'll have to try to make tea with my leaves....but you guys can keep it for ice cream!
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:59 pm

Thanks, Jeane. I have lots of seeds from the plant. It kind of went bonkers this year, so maybe it just lived hard and died young. I think it will be back next year. It hasn't disappointed me or the kitties yet. Smile
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:05 am

Catnip icecream...mmmm!
ARNIgal
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend