Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what cha readin??

+9
Bob
fiffur
Suzzzz
Sue Short
WarriorNY
lovekitties
Magdalene
fluffnstuff
jeanebellini
13 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

what cha readin?? Empty what cha readin??

Post by jeanebellini Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:28 pm

I'm about half way through the Nymphos book..its surprisingly good. nothing to write a big review about, but after i thought it was so crappy at the start its turned into a very readable book.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

what cha readin?? Empty Re: what cha readin??

Post by fluffnstuff Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:34 pm

For the past month or so, I have read Fortune of War, Surgeon's Mate Treason's Harbour and Desolation Island all by Patrick O'Brian.
fluffnstuff
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Magdalene Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:52 am

I am in the middle of the "North and South" trilogy---reading Love and War. I like picking up old favorites!
Magdalene
Magdalene
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:46 pm

I just started Chesapeake by James Michener. I love his sagas but haven't read one in years
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:03 pm

i've never read michener....what are his books like?
this book is getting interesting....i think i might have it finished by Weds. I want to get rid of some of these books fast so i might hit the flower shop series next so i can just plow through them.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:01 pm

well, jeane some of his earlier books were Tales of the South pacific which became the Play and movie South Pacific, and Sayonara, which became the movie of the same name.
He also wrote Centennial, which was a miniseries on TV, about the state of Colorado spanning amny years and generations and has domne the same for TEXAS, HAWAII and some others. I've read Centennial and Hawaii. Chesapeake is about the Chesapeake Bay area, and started with one of the Indian tribes. Now it's up to the early English exploration (John Smith and Jamestown and his forays
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:24 pm

i knew i recognized the name but couldn't remember the names of the books! they're really epic novels aren't they?

i'm less than 50 pgs from the end o the nymphos book..i need to finish it tonight.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:14 pm

I got the first five of Beverly Cleary's Henry Huggins books from the library today. I read the last one Ribsy a couple of times before so I think it is time I finally read the other books.
WarriorNY
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:37 pm

finally finished the Nymphos book....started on the flower shop mystery series. i forgot i'd read the first one til i went back and started on it.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:48 pm

Finally started on Salem's Lot and haven't read that far into it yet.
fluffnstuff
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:40 pm

i've heard that's really good..i never read it.(i know..i've read almost everything King's written ..i just never read a couple of the early really popular ones!)i do think i have it around here somewhere...think i got an early hardcover of it at a garage sale when i went back to MI for something.let me know what you think of it;)

i'm a bit under 1/4 of the way through the flower shop mystery i'm reading. i want to finish it soon...plan to whip through the four or five i have in the series and then get into something a bit heavier for a little while.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:08 pm

Will do and nothing interesting happened yet. It may take me almost a month to read, since it's a big book.
fluffnstuff
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:41 am

i understand,it can take me a month to read a 300pg book if its the right time of year (or really small print;l)
i'm working hard to get through this 2nd flower shop mystery fast. i'm almost 1/2 way through. (would be more than that but just as i was about to go upstairs and sit outside for a few minutes to read the big storm hit!).
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:28 pm

Just finished the most recent Jack Higgins
It was called a Wolf at the Door, need to hit
the library again.
Sue Short
Sue Short
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:21 pm

i was bad...i wanted to get to page 200 of my book last night but never did....i WILL finish it before the weekend is over though:)
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:36 am

Today I am going to start The Seven Serpents Trilogy by Scott O'Dell. I have been wanting to read it for over a year! It is a three-in-one edition. 553 pages. It is set in the time of the Mayans.
WarriorNY
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:07 pm

sounds like a good book to take out in the back yard under a tree with:) (I have all the Narnia books like that in one big book....pretty cool to read them all straight through i order)

i've got so few pages left in my flower shop mystery i'll have it finished tonight so i can start another one (I think i have at least 4 of them)tomorrow.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:47 pm

Half way through Salem's Lot and the scary part finally started.
fluffnstuff
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:54 pm

Finally finished Chesapeake. also read the Baxrter effect (a fantastic 4 novel I got at Comic con, a romance book and a book called Bowery Girl, about 2 girls who live in the tenaaments in 1888 New York, just before the Brooklyn Bridge was finished. It's kind of dark since one of the girls in a thief and the other is a pregnant prostitute.
Just started it was a library castoff. Juast started Dragon and Soldier by Timothy Zahn, another library castoff
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:43 pm

less than 100 pages left of the Dearly Depotted flower shop mystery. i'll finish it tomorrow or tonight and with start on the 4th book then.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:50 pm

I was finally persuaded to read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I'm about half way through. It's well written, I agree, but I've read better mysteries and the gritty scenes are too gritty for me. I will finish it, but unless it gets a whole lot better I don't think I'll read the next one. Is anyone else here on the TGWTDT bandwagon?
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:46 pm

a friend of mine is reading the series (I think on her kindle or whatever device she has). i've seen them in the grocery store for years but they never looked intriguing to me. the way its reading for you sounds like books i've read before. depending on the lenghth i'll give them 50-100 and if they don't pick up and get interesting by then i throw them in the give away pile.
i will admit that Nymphos of Flat Ridge (Flat Rock? can't remember and i gave the book away already) was crappy for the first 50 pages then it got good and in the end i was glad i'd read it.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:29 pm

I usually throw a book away (figuratively, of course) if I don't like it after the first few pages. The first third at most, if it shows some promise. But my best friend went into raptures over this one, and there was all that hype, so I really made an effort. Ugh! I made it all the way to the last 75 pages today, skimmed enough to find out the solution to the central mystery, then quit. No more! I hate having to tell her, but while the mystery part was semi-interesting (though it took half the book for the main characters to look in the right direction that I twigged from the beginning), this author was way too fond of writing torture scenes, including animals. I don't need to read that sick crap.

I should have known, I suppose. My friend has recommended many, many excellent books to me, but she does read Stephen King, which I cannot. I don't do horror in any shape or form. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was a curious combination of a somewhat mediocre intellectual mystery, incomprehensible corporate machinisations, and incredibly nasty human interactions. It was tempered somewhat with some tentative humanity, but not enough to redeem the rest. IMO.

Thus endeth Suzzz's book review on this one! Very Happy Evil or Very Mad
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:10 pm

I started to read one book, but the first eight chapters were about the characters problems that they wouldn't share with other characters and very little of anything else. I did quit reading the book because I got tired of reading about the characters problems and I didn't get the feeling that there was much of a plot at that point in the story.

Anyway, I'm 3/4 through on Salem's Lot. It definitely gotten more interesting and more scarier the farther I go into it, well for me anyway.
fluffnstuff
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:45 pm

thanks for the word up about the animal abuse in that Tattoo book....i don't think i'll bother with 'em now. there are movies i wiill never watch because of the toture of animals.

if you're not into stuff like that (torture of people etc) there are a lot of Paterson books which are pretty graphic. i was able to deal with them cuz i kept saying it was just a story. but if it had been animals i couldn't have done that.(most folks won't or don't understand how i can do that).

as for King....he does sometimes take a while to get characters introduced but he usually starts the meat of the store in less than 100 pages even in the big books. but he does have some pretty interesting characters.

i'm on the 4th flower shop mystery and haven't gotten to pg 25 and already the dead body has shown up. the writer is really getting better.i know she's trying to be Evanovich,but she is getting better.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum