Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SPAM ALERT!

+3
Suzzzz
Sue Short
Magdalene
7 posters

Go down

SPAM ALERT! Empty SPAM ALERT!

Post by Magdalene Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:33 pm

Do not open anything coming from my Yahoo account---BC let me know that someone hijacked my address book. I haven't sent anyone anything recently, so DO NOT OPEN ANYTHING! If you need to get in touch with me, you can send email to that address, but I will not reply from that address---I'll send a pm.
Magdalene
Magdalene
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

SPAM ALERT! Empty Re: SPAM ALERT!

Post by Sue Short Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:52 pm

Gotcha, thanks for the heads up.
Sue Short
Sue Short
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:16 pm

Thanks, sweetie. I don't know if I'm in your Yahoo contacts or not, but this happened to me a while back and it was awful. My IT guy at work said Yahoo has the worst security against email threats of any of the biggies. That's when I changed over to g-mail. I still keep my yahoo email (mostly to handle pictures cuz they are very good at that), but I deleted my address book there so no one could get hold of my contacts again. Hang in there, and we'll be very careful.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:56 pm

I've got a mac account and a hotmail account. The only thing
I use my Yahoo account for is a geriacrics cat forum that I'm in.
I don't even have addresses set up in it.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Magdalene Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:53 am

Suzzzz wrote:Thanks, sweetie. I don't know if I'm in your Yahoo contacts or not, but this happened to me a while back and it was awful. My IT guy at work said Yahoo has the worst security against email threats of any of the biggies. That's when I changed over to g-mail. I still keep my yahoo email (mostly to handle pictures cuz they are very good at that), but I deleted my address book there so no one could get hold of my contacts again. Hang in there, and we'll be very careful.

I remeber when it happened to you, and you did not have much fun!!!!
Magdalene
Magdalene
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:51 pm

thanks, Mags for the update.
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:28 pm

I'll have to remember this.............I haven't gotten anything from you in a long time but it never hurts to be cautious.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:01 am

I got another one this morning from Mags' email address. It's kind of disturbing that it keeps happening - and this one had her real name on it. So, everyone be on alert.
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:27 pm

i don't think i got anything...either i'm not in the address book or it didn't go to everyone. i had something a month or so ago but it only went to a couple people (freaked out my scottish cousin cuz they haven't dealt with much internet stuff at all and just freaked when they thought i'd sent them whatever it was...might have been something about a penis enlarger or something). but that stuff had no subject line. i delete anything without a subject line as well as anything that just looksscrewy.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Magdalene Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:46 pm

I deleted all contacts from my address book (I beleive I did it Thursday am) so if anyone gets anything after that, let me know! I'm hitting Best Buy tomorrow to get something to delete any trojan horses or anything from my computer.

I actually got something in my work email from this too. I'm hoping the geek squad can help!
Magdalene
Magdalene
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:52 pm

i never thought about shoppinhgfor sometihng like that..i thought it was just stuff to download online. i used to have a ton of that on my regular computer. after getting hacked on the old cobbled together one i had at first i decided i'd ovderload;)
mags if you find something please clue us in to what it is in case any of us gets the same situation.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Magdalene Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:06 am

I went to Best Buy, and talked to someone there---there is nothing that I can buy over-the counter, so to speak, The Geek Squad would have to wipe my computer---it will take $200 and two weeks. I need my computer for work, so I am going to have to live with the virus for a while.
Magdalene
Magdalene
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:13 pm

My IT guy showed me a great free program that is deadly to evilings. It's called

Malwarebytes'

There are some copycats out there that change a letter or two, so type it in very carefully if you look for it. Don't forget the apostrophe at the end. If you get a site that wants you to pay, you have the wrong site. My guy says this is as good as anything the tech boys can do for you. Tip: you have to keep it updated manually before you scan; it's not automatic.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:32 pm

suzzz i think you've told us about that before...its a handy thing to be reminded of:) i know i had it on at least my delll...i dont't think i could i load it on the last computer i was using. it was able to get rid of at least one trojan i had.
i had a trojan on here a few days after i got it and the virus protection i got with it cleaned it off right away....well,it had to scan etc and took a while for that but it did it either the day it popped up or the next time i turned the machine on after it got in there. pretty good in my opinion.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Magdalene Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:02 pm

Suzzzz wrote:My IT guy showed me a great free program that is deadly to evilings. It's called

Malwarebytes'

There are some copycats out there that change a letter or two, so type it in very carefully if you look for it. Don't forget the apostrophe at the end. If you get a site that wants you to pay, you have the wrong site. My guy says this is as good as anything the tech boys can do for you. Tip: you have to keep it updated manually before you scan; it's not automatic.

I used this scan, and it found some bad stuff, but it took way too long to run the program---which means I have way to much on my computer (and I'm not sure how to delete some of the not dangerous stuff---cookies, etc.) I think I may run it tonight while I sleep.
Magdalene
Magdalene
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:59 pm

i wish i could tell ya how....i know i've deleted cookies before, but i never know how i do stuff it just sort of shows up when i'm poking around and i think 'OH, let me do this and get rid of it!'

run the scan (do it while you sleep like you said!) and maybe Dillon will pop in here...he's the only person i know online who seems to know something about computers and might at least be able to point you in the right direction!

one thing to remember is everywhere you go and everything you download stays on your computer until you get it taken off...its sort of like writing in a notebook...sooner or later there's just not enough room and something's gotta go:)
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:09 pm

I update first, then run the full scan overnight or when I'm going to be away from the puter for a while. It can take an hour or so.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:22 pm

It's been awhile. Is verything okay with your computer now, Mags?
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:30 pm

though it appears that some folks got something weird from my email address i can't find anything on my computer that did it.I did the full scan with the protection i got with the computer and i downloaded the Malwarebytes' and scanned through that.
if anyone has anything else that is free to download and use as a scan i'm up for it...but i figure after these two scan if there was something that it would show up somehow!
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:22 pm

I think it's the same problem that Mags had. Was it Mags? Anyway
someone had problems with their Yahoo address book being hijacked.
I think this is the same problem.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:33 pm

well,i've changed my password and scanned with two different virus things and nothing has been found...done it for two days in a row so i don't think its s virus...or a trojan..i think malwarebytes' woudl have found that. and it seems only a few people got something funky from my address or with my name attatched to it. did anyone here besides (I think) LK andmaybe lori get anything weird from me two days ago? i know i have several people's emails in my box...when i get some time i'[m going to clean out the addresses..i doj't have a lot in there. but i get home so late and have to get up so early and now working 6 days a week i just don't havfew a lot of time to mess with computer stuff..i'm just doing whati need to do ....and doing the scans.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Magdalene Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:58 pm

From what my brother told me, it was a Yahoo problem, not a problem with my computer. Thank heavens! I guess this has happened with Yahoo before, so I'm going to switch my email back to Yahoo---but I'm still not putting anyone in my address book!
Magdalene
Magdalene
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:01 am

You know something weird happened a week or so ago
with Fif Yahoo account.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:59 pm

thanks for cluing us in,mags! i'll go into the yahoo group that has me on modertoring (or whatever it is..where they don't allow me to post until somebody okays it) and let them know it wasn't me but yahoo. i didn't think it was me cuz it didn't go to everyone in my address book only certain ones!
i'm also thankful that i'mnot going crazy and that my computer didn't have something on it so soon after i got it! i was starting to question the antivirus etc i got with the computer. its good for 6 months and if it could get corrupted so fast i didn't want to renew it.(I'm still going to decide...don't know how much it will be to renew).
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down