Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

home pony stories

+2
Sue Short
bpaquet
6 posters

Page 2 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

home pony stories - Page 2 Empty Re: home pony stories

Post by bpaquet Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:47 pm

We don't need storms or heat for at least a few days. Our AC compressor bit the dust, and we won't get the part for it until mid next week. At least the weather right now is wonderful.

I rode Kina at a walk today. It was very wet in the pasture, but she was all over it. She wanted to go faster, but she needs to work back up to trotting/cantering. That can wait until the ground isn't all slippery and muddy.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:15 pm

We got rain late last night and off/on this morning.  Couldn't sleep for all the gurgling my gutters were putting out.  Hope the really bad stuff goes elsewhere and doesn't come through here or there for you Becky.  We both need a break from flooding rains!
fiffur
fiffur
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:32 pm

Envoy was a star today. We rode in a different pasture for the first time. Last year, he would have been nervous about that because he couldn't see his buddies AND he was in a new place. Even though it is a turnout place, it isn't a riding place. Well, this year, he took it in stride. He just got down to work. We only walked and trotted because I wanted to make sure the ground was ok. It isn't too squishy there, and there aren't too many places with trip hazards. Tomorrow, we'll work more. It's Kina's day tomorrow, so maybe I'll ride 2 ponies. I do have to finish cleaning blankets, so I'll have to get an early start. Smile
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:56 pm

Casper is getting skinny. Hmm... He's eating (a lot), and just looks skinny to me. I wormed him tonight and started him on probiotics. I'm not sure why this is happening. He's in good health as far as I can tell, but there must be some reason he is skinny. I'll report later if I can figure anything out.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:57 pm

confused Worrisome.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:24 am

UhOh.........can ponies get Cushings?  First thing that popped into my mind when you described his size and appetite.  confused
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:29 pm

I refuse to panic.  A slim horse is not necessarily a sick horse!  Worming is a very good idea.  So are regular updates here, Miss Becky.  confused
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:52 pm

No reason to fear, friends. He is FAR from skinny. He's just on the thin side. I can see ribs, but he still has good flesh on his tailhead, and decent muscle tone. I just expect my horses to fatten up on the grass, and this year no one is gaining as much as I thought they would.

Horses can and do get Cushings quite often. Casper is a bit young for the normal onset. He also doesn't have other symptoms. He isn't hungrier than usual. He just eats well. I don't think he's sick. I just think he's thin. So, he got wormed yesterday, and is getting probiotics added to his meals. That won't hurt, and who knows, it might help. I've upped his grain ration, and am giving him extra hay when they're in. He should fatten up well. If he doesn't, I'll ask the vet. I'm not worried (yet), I just don't want to let something small get out of control.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:39 pm

Today was Envoy's riding day. It was lovely outside. 75 degrees and sunny. We had a good ride until the fly spray gave up. The little suckers started biting his timmy. At the first bite, he hopped up. After that, he walked calmly, but kept swishing his back feet at his belly. Poor guy. So, we quit and he went inside for supper. Everyone will spend the night outside since it's going to be great weather. They'll enjoy being able to eat grass in between naps.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:04 pm

Becky, I'm just sitting back waiting for the day a month or two from now when you complain that Casper is getting FAT and complaisant.  I love you  Please give those ponies a nose pat for me!
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:33 pm

Heehee! I hope I have that complaint. They ended coming in around 11 last night. I heard them galloping around and went to see what was up. The mosquitoes were awful. The humidity went up and the bugs came out. Poor kids wanted to stay in their stalls, so we hooked them up and let them sleep inside. We'll try for an outside night again tonight. The bugs didn't seem as bad in the afternoon.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:09 pm

A beautiful ride today. The ground is finally dry, but not rock hard. Kina was all excited because she got to CANTER. Smile The bugs were even at bay. I think this is a sign that riding after work is way more difficult than it needs to be. Sigh. I haven't won the lotto, so off to work I have to go. (This every-other Friday off is ok I guess.)
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:34 pm

Very Happy Gives new meaning to the phrase off to the races. Poor guys, glad no body went
through the fence line.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:52 pm

Me too! They were really well behaved considering that they were being bled. At least they calmed down for getting their halters on.

Today is new pasture day. Everyone was happy to see new grass, and to play in the puddles still in the back. The back pasture is next to the creek that always floods (thanks beavers!). So, it normally has puddles. Dirty ponies for the next week! Except Kina, who seems to stay nice and pretty no matter what. She's a princess.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:09 pm

Poor ponies...this is turning out to be a BAD year for bugs again.  Glad you managed to get a good ride in and Kina had fun with it too.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:33 pm

Today, Envoy had fun. The bugs calmed down, and we could actually do fun things. Tomorrow, we're going to the trainer's for a visit. He'll be happy to see her. Smile
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:00 pm

It was a very successful and fun day at school for Envoy and me. He has learned a lot. Now, I need to be able to build on that. He's the kind of horse who MAKES me ride right. If I mess up, he tells on me. Smile He's also a very forgiving boy. We were cantering around, and he stumbled. He almost went on his knees. I (fortunately) remembered to sit back, and he recovered. I (thankfully) stayed mounted and recovered well. We took a breather, and then he went back to work like nothing had happened. GOOD BOY!

He gets a well-deserved night of rest in his stall and some extra carrots.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:06 pm

That's great Becky, good horses always make it easy.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:03 pm

Well... He makes wanting to work with him easy, but he's a really hard horse to ride right. He is extremely sensitive and has just enough lazy to make you work for what you get. But, the rewards are so worth it!

No riding today. It was hot, and I had to run errands. Got home right at swarm time. I'll try tomorrow if it isn't too hot. Kina needs some work too. Casper shouldn't be neglected either. He's starting to look a little better.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:50 am

Glad to hear Casper is getting better.....maybe a change in the diet was all he needed.  Hopefully the bugs will give all of you a break.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:53 pm

No buggy (((vibes)))!!
ARNIgal
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:25 pm

They're out in force. The heat brings out the flies. We have the fly predator bugs and lots of birds, but since we're so close to the water, there's only so much we can do. It's ok though. Our prevention efforts keep them manageable with fly spray. 

Kina was angelic today. It was HOT and she didn't want to work. But, she did and gave me a lovely half pass (Google images) in each direction. I've never ridden one before. It's FUN.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:41 pm

Looks like some fancy footwork on Kina's part. Interesting.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:06 pm

Since you're by the water, do you get mayflies at your place?
ARNIgal
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:51 pm

Oh yes! May flies, green head swamp flies, horse flies, deer flies. All kinds of hideous biting nasties. The best defenses are to invite predators to live at our place. We have gangs of toads and swallows. If I could think of other fly eaters, I'd invite them to come here too. Smile

No riding today. It was HOT.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum: