Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I BOUGHT A HOUSE!

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I BOUGHT A HOUSE! Empty I BOUGHT A HOUSE!

Post by fiffur Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:06 pm

Closed on it last Friday, ripped out old tattered carpet today.  Good Lord my back is killing me!  House still needs: two crawlspace supports replaced, both front and back doors (it was kicked in)replaced, all 14 of the windows replaced, 6 interior doors plus closet doors replaced (they're MIA), some minor plumbing changes and electrical box upgrade with new circuit and outlet for electric stove, about 100 holes large and small in the drywall patched, plus floor refinish (it's ALL hardwood!). Then paint.  The previous occupant quit paying on the reverse mortgage his parent took on the place and when the bank foreclosed he broke in and tried to completely trash it.  Got caught.  Got the place cheap enough I can get this fixed IF I can manage to do about 1/3 of the work myself.

Mom does not know yet.  I don't want her to move in with me, she's better off where she is.  She won't be isolated, her friends are here, services are here, etc.  I don't know how to break it to her.  I won't be moving for 2-3 months so have some time.

609 West Union St.  Rockton IL
Look it up, https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/609-W-Union-St-Rockton-IL-61072/5500623_zpid/.  It will look much better when I am done with it.
fiffur
fiffur
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

I BOUGHT A HOUSE! Empty Re: I BOUGHT A HOUSE!

Post by Fire Flower Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:59 am

That's great! Good for you! cheers cheers cheers

Fire Flower
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:00 am

OMG!!! Congratulations. Send pix when you can. I will post here.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:36 am

I've been looking for a nice little house I could afford for the past two years. Thanks to my grandpa leaving me that small inheritance!

Estimate for all the windows: 14 for the house(most of them broken with plexi temporarily in place), 7 for the garage (which are rotting out)............nearly $12,000!

Both exterior doors with storm doors: $1,100. OUCH! But the front door will be gorgeous....I'm getting it pre-primed so I can paint it to match the storm doors color. Picture the medium baby blue house he white soffit and a dark red door. It has the flagpole in the yard so figured why not a red, white, and blue theme? Seemed appropriate.

Will be filling in most of the drywall holes myself, with an expert doing the biggest badest ones. New toilet with install: $250.

Debating on refacing the kitchen cabinets myself with wood from Menards. Found some beautiful old fashioned glass knobs online only a tad over $1 each. Just can't decide on the color!

So many decisions.........no wonder I can't sleep at night.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:32 pm

Smile Windows are crazy. We have over 30 in our house, and we replaced them all. Over $40k - and I'm STILL paying the loan. We need to re-do the upstairs bathroom, and I'm frightened to even get estimates. The American dream... A money pit to call our own. LOL

Sounds like you have it all under control. Send pix when you can.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:07 pm

That's great, no that's awesome. Do you have a Lowe's or a Home Depot near you.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:09 am

Menards in Beloit, about 8 miles. Lowes and Home Depot about the same in the opposite direction in Rockford.

I broke my tailbone two weeks ago falling off a ladder putting old carpet in the dumpster (before it got hauled away at the banks expense, not mine). OUCH!
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:22 am

Yeah, that's got to hurt. Thanks for letting me know about the Home Depot and Lowe's. I'm so happy for you. I know you wanted to to get out of your current situation.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:34 pm

So far replaced 19 electrical outlets, 2 switches....with 4 switches and 8 outlets to go. Did that on Friday and my hands still hurt! Meanwhile, the contractor fixed the broken basement water main, installed the toilet, and one window so far.
It's snowing so not much more will be done until it warms up a bit again. I'm not turning on the heat until those windows are in and can't turn on the water until the heat is on. Contractor kinda complained about no toilet access.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:52 pm

Tell him to use a bush.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:24 pm

In VA, work like that requires contractors to bring in a portapotty. I think a bush doesn't sound like a bad option in that case. Laughing
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:58 pm

Only bush on the property is right beside the front door....won't be an option.

Front door delivered this evening (have to paint it--have a nice deep red for it already, just need the weather to warm up a bit and cooperate!). House windows in now, outlets and switches all swapped out. Trim for windows/doors bought, stain too,, and brushes for applying it. Just have to remove the old trim, patch the big drywall holes since it's obvious the contractor is going to work elsewhere when the windows are done, then paint. He 'might' have enough time to replace those two foundation posts. Still trying to find someone to refinish the hardwood floors. Seriously thinking about refacing the doors/drawers myself. The cabinets themselves are in pretty good shape, just the doors were destroyed or MIA as well as a couple drawer fronts.

Met two of the neighbors already. Very nice lady across the street, older couple next door. Their dog Spike barks himself hoarse in the yard when we're outside working.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:06 am

Sounds like is progressing nicely. If you can do it I would do the cabinets yourself. If you can't find someone to redo the floors would putting down some area rugs be helpful.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:04 pm

Refacing the cabinets is definitely worth it. You'll be happier with the results than if you have someone else do it. Is there a place you can rent a sander? Floors... I need to pull up carpet and re-do my floors too. Haven't make a start on that chore.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:16 am

I am going to do the cabinets myself.  Too expensive otherwise.
Fixing the huge holes in the drywall now and while the spackle is drying started to paint yesterday.  It was 57 and nice.  Supposed to be like that for another 2 days....we'll see how much I manage to get done.  
Also installed the new oak  t.p. holder in the bathroom and fixing the medicine cabinet so I can install an oak hand towel bar to the underside of it.

gotta go, electrician coming for an estimate in about 15 minutes.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:17 pm

WOW!! You are handy. you should hire yourself out.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:33 pm

That is so cool. I wish I had the ability to do things like that. I am not very handy at all. Cut twice, measure once, right? Laughing
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:32 am

Walls are now patched and fully painted, new registers at the ready to install after the floors are completely done. Have new oak cabinets to put finish on, then install. Wide oak boards to build my countertop out of. New linoleum is down in the kitchen and mud room. Other floors are sanded and two coats of poly so far......my Lord what a difference! Those hardwood floors are gorgeous! Have to put in the baseboard trim and plinth blocks for the doorways before the 3rd coat is put on. Appliances for the kitchen come tomorrow, washer/dryer next month since it's on backorder. Packing like crazy too and take at least one or two boxes with me every time I go to the house now. Less to move later, especially since the most direct route there is all torn up by the state putting in the new stoplight by the church..

Took a pic of Brian taking an unscheduled nap on the new kitchen floor, using a small roll of leftover linoleum as a pillow. Hilarious! He didn't even wake up when I took the snap.

Other son of the people who built this house is stopping by today. I found several pictures I thought they'd like to have, especially of their now-passed mom holding up her 80th birthday cake and a couple of the family dog. This is NOT the guy who tore up the house, but his brother who was embarrassed at what his brother did (talked to him over the phone).
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:27 pm

Cool! Can't wait to see the progress.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:20 pm

Neither can I.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:54 am

I'll have to send actual printed out pics to someone to post for me. My phone refuses to take pics anywhere and doesn't work well in the house at all. Something about the foil-covered insulation in the walls blocking signals.

Most of the lower cabinets are stained and poly'd, still have to install them. Dishwasher comes next week. More wood for baseboard waiting to be stained and installed. When it warms up a bit more will be painting the front door. Now looking for cheaper way to change out tub for shower (easier access for these arthritic knees and hips of mine). We'll see what's out there.....
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:34 pm

Hmm... Weird about the phone. I can help you with regular photos if you want.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sun May 20, 2018 3:05 am

Thanks....so far not developed yet.
Cabinets are up, pantry is under construction and so is the countertop.  Front and back door trim are done, so is the kitchen and half the livingroom windows. Still a lot more to go....... I have to build a wall for one of the shower wall panels before the rest of it can be installed.  So far only the pan and drain is down. There will be just enough room for a deep but narrow towel closet in the bathroom (about 10" wide).

Moving in a week....and so far no countertop or functioning sink in the kitchen and no shower or exhaust fan in the bathroom.  Furniture goes tomorrow since that's the only time I could get a truck and it's supposed to rain nearly all day long.  Figures....my furniture is all wood and I built half of it.

I'm averaging 4 hours of sleep a night.  The only part of me that isn't bruised, cut, sore, or mangled is my head....so far anyway as I have hit my head a couple times on stuff.  Only part of me that doesn't hurt right now is my hair!   I want a divorce from my body!
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sun May 20, 2018 9:51 am

Moving is the pits. I've done it a lot, and I always hate it. Once I'm moved, it's fine, but the process is just YUCK. I hope your plumbing gets all finished before you're in. Such a pain not to have it. I have a spare horse helmet I can send if you think it will help. Laughing
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sun May 20, 2018 2:29 pm

I hate moving house too. Keep us posted.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum