Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

do you remember eating/drinking (foods and drinks from our past)

+7
Suzzzz
fluffnstuff
Sue Short
BobCat
lovekitties
fiffur
jeanebellini
11 posters

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

do you remember eating/drinking (foods and drinks from our past) Empty do you remember eating/drinking (foods and drinks from our past)

Post by jeanebellini Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:28 pm

i didn't know where to put this but i thought these were cool and wanted to show it around.
how many people remember Turkish Taffy? Bonomo Turkish Taffy.
they've brought it back and they even have small little pieces of it!
here's a link to a place selling it (the cheapest place i've found on the net...Vermont Country Store has it but i think they're selling it for $2+ a piece on their site!)...
http://www.oldtimecandy.com/bonomos.htm?utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Shop+Bonomo%27s+Turkish+Taffy+at+Old+Time+Candy+Now+&utm_campaign=10%25+promo+code+for+OldTimeCandy.com

is there anything that you remember that you either can't find any more or are hard to find??
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

do you remember eating/drinking (foods and drinks from our past) Empty Re: do you remember eating/drinking (foods and drinks from our past)

Post by fiffur Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:06 pm

How about Pop Rocks? Remember those?
fiffur
fiffur
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

do you remember eating/drinking (foods and drinks from our past) Empty Re: do you remember eating/drinking (foods and drinks from our past)

Post by jeanebellini Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:53 pm

Pop Rocks are still around ! we carry to flavors at the store...used to carry the bubble gum version too but they might have taken that off the market cuz it didn't sell well.
i think we have strawberry and watermelon..i might even have some around here..i know i got some a while back and i found some when i was cleaning things earlier this summer.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:01 pm

Remember Dreamsickles? I haven't seen those in the frozen aisle at the store in years and years.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:09 pm

when I saw the topic name the first thing I thought of was bonomo turkish taffy. I loved that as a kid. my mouth is watering just thinking of it.

by dreamsickes do yo mean the vanilla ice creeam and orange sherbert pops? the still have them here but they care called creamsickes.

I've receeently seen the return of mary janes, buyt they are not as good as I remember. There used to be nice crunch peanut peices in them
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:54 pm

i used to get maryjanes when i first moved here at KMart...for 99cents a bag! now they're harder to find and more expensive but they're here in NJ.
I'm with lk about the dreamsicles...are they the same as cremesicles? they are orange sort of sherbert/popsicle stuff with white ice creamy stuff in the middle. (they look like fudgesicles).

i've found Dad's root beer since i moved back here but i've not been able to find Hires.....has anyone seen Hires Root Beer recently??
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:27 pm

Dreamsicles had a hard orangy outside similar to orange ice, with a creamy vanilla icecream center on a stick. I haven't seen those or Fudgesicles in ages. I sure could go for either one right about now despite the colder weather.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:57 pm

yep..they're the same thing,. i think it just has to do with what part of the country you're in. i haven't seen the name brand ones but they have store brands here. esp fudgesicles.
i wonder if Cremesicles is a Good Humor brand...something that used to be found in trucks that go around towns.
(hmm...come to think of it, i didn't hear the ice cream trucks going around here much this year....just early in the summer or late late spring and that was it. either there are fewer little kids aRound here or there's something going on.(ice cream trucks are things that are good to make money with in the hot weather).

here's something i remember from when i was a kid, but i don't know anyone else who has ever heard of it....
Summer Bridge Mix....they usually had it in the bins at places like Kresges or Woolworths etc. you got it in little white paper bags in whatever weight you wanted. it was similar to reg bridge mix BUT not chocolate on the outside....i think it has a shell on it like m&ms.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:05 pm

No, I haven't seen Hires root beer in ages. And when I grew up, the orang-y things were Creamsicles, but now I believe they're Dreamsicles. My brother liked them, but I preferred the Fudgsicles.
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:38 pm

I seem to remember the Dreamcicles/Orangecicles
very well I loved them. Yoplait makes a yogurt in that
flavor. One of my favorites. Fudgecicles were all right but
I loved dream cicles.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:29 pm

yesh....the orange 'whips' yoplait does taste like a cremesicle!

i'm keeping my eyes open for maryjanes. they have little bitty bags at CVS but they cost as much as a big bag i've found at KMart before. When Kmart has their halloween stuff out they might have some.

does anyone remember the peanut butter 'kisses' that were always out at Halloween....wrapped in orange and black wax paper and the bag was 99cents. I don't remember seeing them the last few years...but then they were a lot more than 99cents.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:35 pm

I remember those Jeane. They still make those, look at walmart if you can. You can usually find them there, but they are more expensive than 99cents a bag now. Remember broomsticks? Banana flavored taffy in stick form wrapped in colored waxpaper? I can only find those now in the huge assorted halloween candy bags. Used to be able to get just those in a bag but haven't seen it offered that way in years.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:49 pm

this isn't a food but really hit me in the nostalgia zone. The other day I saw a truck riding around with a "half moon"ride on it. We used to have them drive around all summer when I was a kid, Along with spin the whip rides. I hadn't seen any of these is years.
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:32 pm

never heard of a half moon ride...is that the one w here the seating area is a half circle?
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:59 am

Around here they call that ride the Tilt-a-whirl. I remember those and every carnival we have around here has one.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:17 pm

we're carrying the "pumpkin' pop rocks at the store. they're just orange flavored pop rocks with a pumpkin on the package. but its the only time i've seen orange pop rocks.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:23 pm

When I read pumpkin pop rocks I thought maybe they had a touch of pumpkin flavor to them.

Anyone remember Bottlecaps candy? I see they're bringing it back after many years of being off the shelves. The candies look like lil bottlecaps, and come in 4 different soda flavors.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:41 pm

you can find Bottle Caps in some of those mixed bags of Halloween candy!
(gawd,i'm starting to sound like one of those old time candy companies on the net!)
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:57 am

I've been finding them in little $1 boxes at Walmart and Dollar Tree so far.

I see the stores have loads of Halloween candy on the shelves already. Think they know if we buy any now we'll have to buy more for the kids since those bags won't last until Halloween?
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:21 pm

when I was a kid they had tose wax bottles with sweet sugar drinks in them. you drank out the drink then chewed the bottles, which were also flavored
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:16 pm

nik-l-nips i think they're called. we carried them at the store a few years ago. they have some at the grocery store i go to right now!(now in the marked down summer candy section)
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:59 am

Yeah, you can still find those if you look, not everybody carries them but at this time of year it is easier. I find lil packages of them at Walmart the rest of the year if anybody wants to know.........
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:29 pm

nik-l-nips are from Necco which is here on the East coast....they're not so hard to find around here. i think even maryjanes are from Necco...there's a lot of old fashioned candy that Necco has made and still makes! (I need to see if there's a Necco website to see what all they have. of course, there's always Necco wafers;) ).
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:40 pm

Remember HeyDay Bars? Kinda like a thin cookie with caramel and chocolate drizzled over it with lots of chopped nuts on top? Haven't been able to find those in over a decade now. Do they even still make those?
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:58 pm

never heard of heyday bars..payday but not heyday.
oldtime candy might have them...there are two or three different companies online that sell stuff that you never see anymore..they've had to dig around to find them. i think they might some of them in Mexico...sometimes Mexico still produces stuff we don't in the US!
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next