Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"how a feline drinks: Science wants to know"

+2
fiffur
jimkr2t
6 posters

Go down

"how a feline drinks: Science wants to know" Empty "how a feline drinks: Science wants to know"

Post by jimkr2t Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:41 pm

Friday's Philadelphia Inquirer had a front page article on how a cat drinks. Using high-speed cameras they took a look a cats lapping up water,and apparently they found a surprise Shocked Cat's do not scoop up water like a dog, but barely brushes the surface and pulling the water up defying gravity. According to the scientists, the cat curled the tongue underneath, retracted it, the water rose up, and the cat snapped it's mouth shut at the exact moment the water was at the highest. They say this took place four time a second. According to the scientists "Cats seem to be very clever about their fluid mechanics".

Oh-kaaaaay. But, they claim that whiskers are a very sensitive delicate sensory tool and will not work well if they get wet. Whiskers of a lapping cat stay dry. But - my experience - cats slop water over EVERYTHING while they're lapping - I'm not sure the scientists have analyzed THAT. Evil or Very Mad

How about some other opinions?

Jim
jimkr2t
jimkr2t
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

"how a feline drinks: Science wants to know" Empty Re: "how a feline drinks: Science wants to know"

Post by fiffur Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:47 pm

Bijoux doesn't usually get his whiskers wet but the end of his collar is usually dripping all over us after taking a drink. I don't know if I believe water defies gravity for a cat getting a drink..........
fiffur
fiffur
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

"how a feline drinks: Science wants to know" Empty Re: "how a feline drinks: Science wants to know"

Post by Susan A Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:19 pm

Drinking methods among our kitties have been quite individual to the cat. Without looking, we can ususally tell who is at the water bowl just by the sound. Their lapping rhythms have all been different. I'll have to make a point to watch, but it would have been my guess that kitties tuck their whiskers back during drinking. Tux is our odd child - she doesn't lap at all. She dips her paw and then licks it dry. tongue
Susan A
Susan A
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:20 pm

LOL!!! I saw the story originally on the CNN website, then saw
it later on MSN, Yahoo and it's all over FaceBook. I can believe
I've watched mine srink, yeah I believe it.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:40 pm

I saw a slo-mo vid years ago that showed how a cat actually curls his tongue backwards to capture the water, but I don't remember the denouement where the water enters the cat's mouth. This is fascinating.

Of course, Weezer is more like this cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UTdhK0lwuw

Weez only wants water from a faucet (very demanding about she is, too!) and only drinks from her bowl when she has no other option. Unlike the video I only give her a drip or a small stream, but she still manages to get totally wet anyway. I've always thought she must have some tiger in her. Unlike most cats, tigers relish the water!
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:48 pm

suzz i saw the same slo mo of the cat drinking i'm sure. i remember the tongue curling under and it seemed that the little barbs on the cat tongue helped as well.
Toothpick likes to play in the water....Buddy did too. nobody else here slops the water around but there's always water all over the place. i really want to get one of those bowls that catches the water when its slopped over OR one of those fancy wicking mats they sell at either ll bean or land's end.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:52 pm

I saw that too!

Susan, I've seen kitties at the animal shelter who drink by dipping a paw. In fact, two were doing that on my last trip there! And one of them also ate that way, one piece of kibble at a time, scooping it up in a paw.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down