Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what are THANKSGIVING for?

+4
lovekitties
Suzzzz
fiffur
jeanebellini
8 posters

Go down

what are THANKSGIVING for? Empty what are THANKSGIVING for?

Post by jeanebellini Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:15 pm

thought i'd start this a week early......
so, what are you doing for thanksgiving....what are making for thankgivng...or just what is your favorite thing to eat on thanksgiving?
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

what are THANKSGIVING for? Empty Re: what are THANKSGIVING for?

Post by fiffur Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:07 pm

Well, my mom is getting a Thanksgiving basket from the church pantry (they know she shares with me and my sis so it will be a good-sized one). I know we'll be getting a turkey and some of the fixings, then we'll check our respective pantries, and go grocery shopping Sunday for anything we still need. Mom and I will be cooking it in a big roaster at my sis' place while she's either volunteering at the mission in Rockford or a walk to raise money for the homeless. When she gets back we'll sit down to eat.

My favorite thing to eat is whole-berry cranberries and pumpkin pie! Though I do prefer the turkey thigh too.....oooooo and don't forget the mashed potatoes and gravy..........

First traditional Thanksgiving dinner we've had as a family in several years, even if it is just the 3 of us, plus furkids. Shame Bijoux can't come too, but Moxie is just too territorial and it is being held in HER house.
fiffur
fiffur
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:06 pm

i keep forgetting to check the tv dinner at the grocery store to see if any of the big ones are on sale this week. i should see if the piei have had in the freezer for more years than i weantto think about is still good. i can't remember if its pumpkin or blueberries.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:30 pm

I found a cranberry quick bread mix in my pantry so will be contributing that to the meal too.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

what are THANKSGIVING for? Empty what are you THANKSGIVING for?

Post by jeanebellini Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:44 pm

they don't have tghe tv dinners on sale anymore but i think i have one in the freezer....bought a can of my fave thanksgiving stuff on sale ....the Ocean Spray cranberry jelly:)
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:20 pm

Nothing wrong with "only 3" at the table! Any gathering with those you love, be they family, friends or simply furkids (believe me, I've been there), is a blessing. Jeane, I love that cranberry jelly, too! To be honest, I don't care much about the turkey. I'd be more than happy with a big plate of Stove Top Stuffing with cranberry sauce to top it! (But I would also buy one of those little cans of the whole-berry stuff to mix in with it.)
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

what are THANKSGIVING for? Empty what are YOU thanksgiving for?

Post by jeanebellini Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:05 pm

oh i love turkey...at least when i used to make it. i learned as a kid how to juggle all the stuff to make sure it came out hot at the same time. and i don't think i ever made an icky turkey except the first one in my own apt....it wasn't icky i just didn't take the tin foil off the top long enough and the skin didn't get crispy! man i miss a big old turkey to nosh on for a week and then pick apart for sandwiches, soup etc!
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:17 am

gone are the days when I prepared the Thanksgiving meal for the family, as they are mostly in Florida and Dallas now, but I will go to my Cousin's inlaws as usual. i love the traditional turkey (dark meat) and stovetop stuffing!! though I like gravy over it. Cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie. and some egg nog. I have to confess I love that greenbean casserole you always see advertized but noone makes it., though my cousin's aunt makes a great mushroom dish.
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:43 pm

Our thanksgiving plans got torpedoed last night. My sis is going to be out of town and my neice is too busy with the boyfriend..........so its just mom, me and Bijoux.......no turkey since it's still in the freezer.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:43 pm

welp,save the turkey for christmas!

i'd gladly give ya the dark meat from my turkey if i had one lk:) (actually, its sometimes what i'm given if they make turkey upstairs....the son gets all the white meat and i'm usually given a leg or a leg and wing).
and if i were having thanksgiving i'd get extra cans of jellied sauce and a jar of the stuff from trader joes (never had it, but its supposed to be good).

lk have you ever tried to make the green bean casserole for yourself? i've never made it but i've seen it made a lot of times;) its reallllly easy...sort of a 'dump dish'. you just need green beans (canned or frozen...i think canned might be best?)a can of cream of mushroom soup and a can of those onion topper things...and a baking dish!
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:30 pm

Menu has now changed: we're having beef tenderloin (aka filet mignon) with asparagus, wheat rolls, and maybe potatoes and gravy. Bijoux should love that, and he'll have us all to himself!
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:46 pm

filet mignon? i've only had the once in my life and that was because i went with a friend's family to a steak house and her dad was paying (and said to go ahead and order this or that or the other thing so we did).
i don't know if i'd recognize a steak anymore...one could jump on my plate and do the hoochie dance and i'd probably think it was a burnt piece of chicken!
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:26 pm

These were in the meat case at Woodman's. Just wish they'd been prime instead of choice, they'd be more tender. Still, I haven't had filet mignon in over 15 years, and I've only had it a few times in my entire life.

I'm thinking of making some nutbread since we don't have a pie for dessert. Bijoux loves nutbread but won't touch pumpkin pie.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:26 pm

Jeane started this topic and I thought I would bring it up. Today I was reminded what Thanksgiving was all about. It was hard work putting the dinner together and we didn't have very many but it was nice.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:02 am

Yes. I was thankful that I was able to spend all day in the kitchen cooking for just a few people. There are many who cannot, and I am fortunate that I have that privilege.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:19 am

I feel the same.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:38 am

I'm thankful, that after a very trying year, we've decided to make the move back to the cold Midwest. I'm also glad I got a job with my former employer, which starts Monday. Our AZ house is on the market, and unfortunately, Wesley is back there with the pups waiting for it to sell, but we will be back together soon, I hope.

There were no decent jobs out there. I couldn't find one at all, and Wes' job isn't a particularly great one. The people there were also a bit more standoffish than we had anticipated they would be. I guess that's it in a nutshell.
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:22 pm

I'm sorry it didn't work out. Perhaps in the future and in another location.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire Flower Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:46 pm

I am sorry it didn't work out. I hope you are together soon.

Fire Flower
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down