Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Health insurance

5 posters

Go down

Health insurance Empty Health insurance

Post by piercingsavedmylife Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:22 pm

I lost mine not do to Obamacare but because I didn't finish my food stamps for which I was told I didn't need and wasn't eligible.
piercingsavedmylife
piercingsavedmylife
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Health insurance Empty Re: Health insurance

Post by fluffnstuff Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:42 am

In theory, did you need to use all the food stamps to keep the insurance?
fluffnstuff
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by piercingsavedmylife Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:48 am

Oop my food stamps application I was told not to finish because I am ineligible.
piercingsavedmylife
piercingsavedmylife
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:33 pm

I don't get health insurance since IL deems single childless people not eligible. Haven't had medical coverage since the Reagan Administration in fact. I do get food stamps since my income is deemed extremely low. I'm at less than half the poverty level for a single person, yet I work hard for what I get. You have to use all the food stamps up at least every 3 months in order to keep getting them as long as your income hasn't gone up. Guess we single folks aren't valued in IL for medical coverage as much as people who have kids they can't support like my neighbor, who has never worked and milks the system for all it's worth. She has over twice the income I have (welfare) and a medical card for the kids and herself, but I can't have a medical card. Not fair. I protect their kids from getting run over on their way to school.

Anyone on foodstamps, heat assistance, HUD, or medical cards brace yourselves: one of the hidden things in the huge healthcare law they passed that kicks in starting 2014 has these things cut either in half or eliminated entirely so the savings can be spent on the healthcare expansion. Yet they're still letting the states opt out of expanding medicaid so I still won't have medical coverage, but everything else I get to help me subsist on my meager paycheck will get cut. And I will have LOTS of company in that sinking boat. Plus we can't find a full time job here, we're still losing jobs here so I will have to hang onto that deadend lowpaying job for who knows how many more years.....

If Romney/Ryan gets in the White House, we will have no birth control, no HUD, foodstamps, medicaid, and a lot of other things we rely on for our old age too. Sometimes I wonder if the government just wants poor and old people to just drop dead AFTER they take our paychecks in taxes.

Sorry for the rant.
fiffur
fiffur
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by piercingsavedmylife Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:35 pm

I am working towards getting a job and being on disability.
piercingsavedmylife
piercingsavedmylife
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:42 pm

I wish you a lot of luck on both counts Piercing. How are you now that you've healed from the surgery?

Getting a job isn't easy in this market, and disability seems to take forever unless you know someone who knows someone....took my mom 6 years to get hers yet my stepmom who's my age got hers in 6 months. My mom deserved it and was without a doubt qualified for it but they fought her. Nothing wrong with stepmom except lazy-itis.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by piercingsavedmylife Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:00 pm

I got my self a lawyer and challenged it and I will get it. ANd I am great I still get pain but that cannot be helped
piercingsavedmylife
piercingsavedmylife
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:32 pm

This got me thinking. Would be on disability qualify for some kind of insurance? Is there a place like a hospital or a local health care clinic that has financial counselors that can help to get into a financial assistance program for basic health needs?
fluffnstuff
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:45 pm

I did a little bit of research. I don't know how helpful the following website will be. https://www.disability.gov/
fluffnstuff
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:08 pm

make sure whatever you get its real insurance and not a 'discount' plan. this is all well and good for doctor's visited (pay $15 co pay)but everything else theypay a bit here and a bit there. so say a hospital stay is $3000 or more..they will pay like $200 of it and you pay the $2800 or more. if you have real insurance its usually 80/20.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by piercingsavedmylife Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:49 pm

It is real insurance just a scare.
piercingsavedmylife
piercingsavedmylife
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:20 pm

Usually most folks on disability get medicaid from their state for medical coverage. Don't know how that works in your state but most give you some medical coverage through medicaid.

When my mom was on disability she had no health insurance premiums and teeny copays, then they forced her onto social security the moment she hit 65 (even though she wanted to wait so her s.s. would be higher later on) and her costs went way up. Now she has premiums and huge copays for everything.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:55 pm

Yeah fif, seems like childless people are pooped on up here in Michigan too...sometimes this makes me want to give up and live in the woods!! Rock On
ARNIgal
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:58 pm

Same here, but where do we find woods that haven't been either burned or cut down?
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down