Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Desperado's health thread updated pg. 2, 12-20 (Good news!)

+3
Susan A
Sue Short
mockingbird
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Desperado's health thread updated pg. 2, 12-20 (Good news!) Empty Desperado's health thread updated pg. 2, 12-20 (Good news!)

Post by mockingbird Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:53 pm

Poor kitty. If you remember back 3 years ago (yes, it's been 3 years!) he had a urinary tract block. Joshua was in Iraq (of course) and it was an emergency situation with poor kitty. He came just within hours of dying. But he made it and has not had trouble since...

...until today, well, actually yesterday. We have been on a couple of little mini-vacations lately. Last weekend, we went to Atlanta and visited
the Paper Museum at Georgia Tech and also about 7 haunted houses! Then, this weekend, we went to North Carolina to see the trees and visit some friends. Then down to South Carolina because Joshua is in the South Carolina National Guard and he had drill this weekend. (I drove around and saw tobacco and cotton fields, mostly.)

Anyway, we had kenneled the ratties and Desperado at the same kennel we've been going to for a few years now. The ratties were a mess when we got them back (their cage was dirty and they seemed stressed.) Desperado didn't go potty all day yesterday and all day today. Finally, I called the vet. They said bring him right in. Turns out he had what is called a mucus plug. I won't go into too many details, but he was blocked, due to stress. Maybe it was too many kennelings too close together. I can't see the folks there being unkind to our sweeties...I truly cannot.

Anyway, he is home and is on two medications. *sigh* Poor kitty. Please say a prayer, light a candle, whatever you do to connect with the Divine and remember our sweet boy.

Thank you.

p.s...we are not going to take them back to that kennel, because even though I don't believe they were mistreated as far as being unkind, the ratties need someone more used to ratties and Desi needs to be less stressed.

Last edited by mockingbird on Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
mockingbird
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

http://www.wildgooseberry.com

Back to top Go down

Desperado's health thread updated pg. 2, 12-20 (Good news!) Empty Re: Desperado's health thread updated pg. 2, 12-20 (Good news!)

Post by Sue Short Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:06 pm

((((((((((((((((PRAYERS AND HEALING VIBES)))))))))) From
Antonio and myself/
Sue Short
Sue Short
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Desperado's health thread updated pg. 2, 12-20 (Good news!) Empty Re: Desperado's health thread updated pg. 2, 12-20 (Good news!)

Post by Susan A Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:18 pm

Prayers for dear Desi. {{{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}}} for you. Scritches for the pups and cheese tidbits(?) for the cute ratties. (I don't know what pet rats like scratch )

Please keep us posted about Desi's condition. Poor po' baby...
Susan A
Susan A
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:44 pm

((((Desi))))
WarriorNY
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:44 pm

How distressing for all of you! The folks at that kennel may mean well, but I would not go back until it's under new management. They are clearly off their former standards! No It's often hard to know what's going on behind the scenes at such places, but a filthy rattie cage and a vet-worthy stressed cat is a huge clue.

In any case, many hopes that our Desi recovers well and soon under your tender care. My heart is with you all.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:29 pm

Thank you, dear friends.

As Joshua puts it, something happened at the kennel. We don't know what, and are not accusing the folks there of being intentionally unkind, but the animals were stressed. The rattie cage was dirty, but also the ratties thrashed it...chewed on things they don't usually chew on and seemed upset when we came home. Desperado, obviously, was stressed. They were not far from each other in the kitty loft and there were small dogs were kenneled in close proximity. The little dogs didn't used to be up there, only kitties and quiet animals (like bunnies and chamleons, etc.) I don't know what went on, but no, our babies are not going back there. Now, we just need to figure out what to do about when we go out of town. The girls at our vet do pet sitting, so that may be what we have to do. It's more expensive, but our babes are having a hard time lately. We don't go out of town much, but this has been an unusual summer/autumn for us.

So far, he's still his purry self. He won't go potty tonight because the vet was able to get him to release it all while she was examining him. Again, I won't go into details, but his little self was just not flowing right. She got him unplugged (it wasn't the same kind of block it was before) and hopefully his medicine he's on now will keep the crystals (which blocked him before) from forming.

I know quite a bit, now, about male kitty anatomy.
mockingbird
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:12 pm

Just read this thread, Poor Desi! I agree he was stressed, probably from having dogs in such close proximity and maybe too many kennelings. That kennel has definitely gone downhill, you should not have gotten stressed furkids back. Glad the vet was able to remove the blockage (never heard of a mucus plug before), hope the meds keep that from coming back. I am so relieved that Desi is his usual lovable purry self. Are the ratties getting more back to normal too?

(((((((((((((((((((STRONG HEALING VIBES))))))))))))))))))))))

A home petsitter is a lot less stressful on kitties in particular, and probably ratties too. They are in familiar surroundings, with their own bed and bowls.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:36 pm

Will you be going away again soon, Mockingbird?
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:28 pm

oh man..i wish there was somebody who come to your house and take caRe of the critters while you're away! i have a feeling that the noisey dogs might have freaked whatever critters were near them out. I'm imagining a bunch of little dogs (and i know how loud and yappy the two upstairs can be!).I think even people would be stressed!
wonder if there are kennels for just 'quiet' pets?

PS I wouldn't mind more info about the mucus plug...if its really gross you can PM me. But it might be useful information.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:30 pm

No, Suzzzz...we won't be going away until around Christmas time. We've already talked about having someone come into the house. Our poor babes cannot be casualties for us wanting to go on a trip. Little Desi is easily stressed, it seems, and we just can't risk his little self. The ratties are still new to us, but they seemed stressed, too.

Jeanebellini, the little dogs were all very quiet when I was up there. Only once did I hear anyone bark. I don't know what happened, could be one of the doggies got out of its kennel, or just the different folks taking care of them, I wish they could tell us what exactly happened. Maybe the little dogs were more rowdy than I saw.

I did write the details of little Desperado's ordeal to another dear Muttie here, but it might be interesting and perhaps useful if I shared...so, I copied and pasted that part of my return private message to the other friend here, with some minor information additions...

Desi seems to be doing better. The vet said his little bladder was very hard and when she pressed on it, it did not release (as a non-blocked kitty bladder will do.) She checked his little penis and instead of being pink, like it should be, it was purple. That just really made me feel terrible for him. Poor little guy. While she was manipulating it, the mucus block came out and he released then. Poor guy. He has a urinary tract infection, as I said on the board. But, he is not blocked with crystals as he was before. A male kitty's penis, when it goes up into the body, makes a U-bend and the ash in most kitty food can form crystals if it ends up lingering in that U-bend, thereby blocking the tract. That's what happened before, but she didn't see evidence of that this time, but that mucus block at the tip of his little self, resulting because of stress, she said.

Poor little kitty. He did go potty today and I called the doctor, as she asked me to. She was happy about his success in the catbox, and she's going to do urinalysis next week (unless we have any questions or problems between now and then) to make sure his infection is clearing up.

We have fabulous vets. There are 3 vets in the practice and they take turns being on call, so we have 24 vet care, if needed. They are only about 5 minutes from our house and all the staff are wonderful, too. The doctors and staff stayed an extra 45 minutes past closing for us and one of the sweet assistants came and sat with me and kept me company while I waited for Desi to be examined.

mockingbird
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:21 pm

Interesting info, I've never read or heard of anything like this, not even in CatFancy magazine.
Glad to hear Desi is doing better. (((((((((((((((STRONG HEALING VIBES)))))))))))))))))
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:22 pm

i understand better now....an infection. i don't get them often but once had a very bad urinary tract infection and i remember at one point passing something that could have been similar (on a human level at least).
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:27 pm

I'm glad you will be staying with them all for a while, Mockingbird, so you'll be able to do follow-up with Desi and note any lingering anomalies among the ratties. It will give everyone a chance to relax and get back to normal before you go away again.

I'm a huge proponent of in-house care. A familiar friend to house-sit is, of course, the ideal, but few of us have that option. A trusted pet-sitter is the next best thing. I'd start with the girls at the vet's office and ask if they do pet sitting. Even if they do, they may not be available during the holidays, so my other suggestion is to start asking everyone you know whether they've used a pet sitting service and what they thought of it. Those services can be pricey, lord knows, but what price our babes' well being?
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:44 pm

Glad to hear that Desi is on the mend and using
the litter box. You might want to start talking to
the people at the clinic now. If they are booked
ask who they would recommend.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:17 pm

Yes, especially if you're going away for the holidays. Petsitters tend to get booked full-up early for holidays. I'm hoping you find someone from the vet's office, they know your furkids well enough and care about them.

How's Desi today? Back to his old self yet? Is he on meds for the bladder infection? Just wondering.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:42 pm

you might also try rescue groups or shelters to see if they know anyone who does pet sitting
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:22 pm

Good suggestion!
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:56 pm

while i was 'gone' the Pet Stop had a show about pet sitting and how to choose the right one. i have some info written down on one of my 'scrap papers' (a Kleenex box)when i findit i'll put the info in here. there is actually an organization of pet sitters ...they're bonded etc.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:59 pm

Thank you so much for the help and advice, dear friends.
Well...we did get everything set up today. We bought our plane tickets so we know exactly when we'll be leaving and returning. When Desperado had a follow-up appointment on Friday (he's doing really well, by the way. A few more days of antibiotics and he should be fine) I asked about pet-sitting. The assistants at the vet's office offer to do pet sitting as well. We ended up with a really sweet girl who has assisted the doctor when she was examining Desperado, so she knows him and about his condition. She also has dogs and pet rats!!! So, everyone will be able to stay home, and she's less expensive then taking them all to the kennel. She'll be able to monitor Desperado and if there is any concern, she can take him right to the vet. Our vet offers 24 emergency service (three vets and they take turns being on-call). I'm very excited that she has pet rats so our little ratties will be better taken care of.

Yay!!! Thank you again for all the advice and help. Everyone hear sends love to all you dear Mutties. I love you
mockingbird
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:31 am

Glad to hear that you guy is doing better
and that you were able to find a sitter. Now
you can have a grand worry free time.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:11 pm

I am so glad you got a reliable petsitter with lots of kitty, dog, and ratty experience. You can now go on vacation and have fun knowing your precious furbabes are in very good hands. An added plus is that the babes already know her and she knows them!
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:45 pm

wow finding someone who also knows about rats is a big bonus!
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:49 pm

jeanebellini wrote:wow finding someone who also knows about rats is a big bonus!

I second that! Mockingbird, you've lucked into the best circs I could imagine! Very Happy
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:27 am

I am worried about Desperado. Crying or Very sad
I called our pet sitter this afternoon and she said that she was going to call us in the morning. Desperado hasn't urinated, that she could tell, since yesterday afternoon. She said he's very friendly to her and seems purry and happy and all that, but hasn't showed evidence of going potty for a whole day and a half. Two days is our limit, so she is going to take him to the vet tomorrow if he hasn't gone potty in the morning. I'm worried and trying not to be, but am. I'm glad he's home and she's on the ball about checking him and knows what to look for all and that, but he's still stressed. I know when Joshua goes away for Army stuff overnight, Desi cries for him. If I work more hours than usual and can't come home during my breaks, he cries. So, now we are both gone for several days, so it's still hard on him. Can we just never go anywhere? It's just frustrating because I don't want to feel like a bad "mama", but we need to be able to go visit family or go on vacations. I hate stressing him and putting him in danger.

Anyway, she said she'll call me tomorrow and let me know if she had to take him in or not and what was said if she does have to.

I'll let you dear Mutties know when I do. We still have another week to be gone!
mockingbird
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:57 pm

Consider very powerful healing vibes being sent from Illinois!
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((ULTRA-POWERFUL HEALING VIBES)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) Please try not to worry, I'm sure the vet will help Desi a lot. Very good petsitter you have.

How old is Desi? You might have to scale back on the traveling until he's crossed the bridge........... I had to for my furbabes sake.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next