Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ALLIGATOR IN BROOKLYN

4 posters

Go down

ALLIGATOR IN BROOKLYN Empty ALLIGATOR IN BROOKLYN

Post by lovekitties Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:10 pm

Okay, this happened less than a mile from where I live.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/nypd-bags-alligator-article-1.1172475
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

ALLIGATOR IN BROOKLYN Empty Re: ALLIGATOR IN BROOKLYN

Post by Suzzzz Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:45 pm

What is WRONG with people? An alligator? Is it not enough they keep pit bulls in horrible conditions, but now they must branch out in their feeble intimidation schemes? And their neighbor upstairs... "I never heard an alligator down there" Well, what, exactly, could he have heard? Pathetic scrabbling in a bathtub?? Oh, I am just appalled and disgusted. That poor, poor animal.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:15 pm

I can't believe someone would have an alligator in an apartment. What did those people intend to feed it? Their competitors in the drug business? Junkies who didn't pay up? What is this world getting to these days?

Poor 'gator. At least now he'll be properly taken care of and have proper environment to live in.
fiffur
fiffur
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:22 pm

it was bad enough when people used to get little bitty alligators as souvenier "pets" and bring them home from trips to Florida, then when they got big and weren't cute anymore they would just dump them . That's where the whole alligators in the sewer myth started. Every once in a while they still get alligators, or caimens , in one of the lakes or ponds around NYC. I believe there was a caimen in a lake in Central park a while back.
As for these alligators beign used in the drug trade, that has been going on for a while now, and every once in a while when there is a bust exotic animals are found in apartments.
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:27 pm

I remember folks getting busted and they'd find a tiger or lion or something on that order in the place. We've had two alligators spotted here in our lil river just in the past 2 months. One's been caught, the other is still at large. Hope these are still on the 'net, on'e a pic the other the article that went with it:
http://www.beloitdailynews.com/tiny-gator/image_7e295f80-ee5b-11e1-937b-0019bb2963f4.html http://www.beloitdailynews.com/news/small-alligator-found-near-river/article_520dca5a-24dd-11e1-8b99-0019bb2963f4.html
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Fif, the first pic broke my heart, that tiny guy swimming helplessly, not knowing what the H was going on. The second link gave me a bit of hope, that at least Animal Control (if you can get their attention) is making an effort to re-home these critters into sanctuaries.

I was going to b*tch about the original story, headlining it in that cutesy way because it was so unusual, but now I think any light shone on this problem, that gets people to hear about it, is a good thing.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:08 pm

this seems to be the weekend for gators in NY. They have found 3 gators on Long Island this past week.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/10/03/nassau-spca-offers-reward-after-gator-found-wandering-in-baldwin-parking-lot/
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:21 pm

I heard about that!

According to last night's paper, we now have two more little gators in that same area of the river where that one in the above article was seen. The other one mentioned in that article was caught about 2 miles downstream. These two new ones are right near a little lagoon where kids go fishing. There's a vent from the factory across the street that sends steaming hot water into the river near there so it's possible they could survive the winter despite how cold it gets here.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:00 am

the number of alligators found on Long Island in the past 2 weeks is now up to 5!, 6 if you include the one in Brooklyn (Brooklyn, although part of new York City, is located on Long Island) although the Brooklyn gator was found in a raid and not abandoned like the others.
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:59 pm

Ours seems to be abandoned pets too, but one was found in an apartment where I used to live about 25 years ago. It's above a bar in So. Beloit, and they're one room apartments! Can you imagine a gator in a tiny apartment like that? How did the neighbors not know it was there?
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:38 pm

How could they know if they were never allowed in? Gators don't squeak.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:33 pm

affraid
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:57 am

Suzzzz wrote:How could they know if they were never allowed in? Gators don't squeak.

baby gators do. they make the cutest little squeek. (I used to watch Stever Irwin and Jeff Corwin on Animal Planet) Wink
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:18 pm

lovekitties wrote:
Suzzzz wrote:How could they know if they were never allowed in? Gators don't squeak.

baby gators do. they make the cutest little squeek. (I used to watch Stever Irwin and Jeff Corwin on Animal Planet) Wink

I stand corrected. Appreciate the education!
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:48 pm

And this gator was found in that apartment only last year in the tiny bathtub, but apparently he'd had it there for about 2 years. It was nearly 3 ft long so it would've made even louder squeaks. And that building is a strict "NO pets" place. Makes me wonder how he explained all the loud squeaks coming from his bathroom.......
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down