Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Desperado had surgery today...

+6
jimkr2t
fluffnstuff
Suzzzz
jeanebellini
Sue Short
mockingbird
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Desperado had surgery today... Empty Desperado had surgery today...

Post by mockingbird Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:32 pm

Sorry not to let you know in advance, dear friends, but our kitty had surgery on one of his front legs this morning. He has had a cyst there for a couple of years. The vet didn't seem too concerned about it, would drain it (or I would at home) and it would go down for a while and it didn't hurt him when it was drained. This last time, though, it did hurt him and there was a blood bubble under it (it was pretty yucky.) We took him in last week and the vet agreed that things had changed with it and she wanted to just take it off. So, today was that day. She sent it off to the lab and we'll get the results in about 10 days. We also had his teeth cleaned while we were at it. His teeth were pretty messed up from the special food he has to eat.

He's home now, in fact he's purring quietly on my lap right now. He's been a little shadow following me around since I brought him home. It was a rough night last night, not much sleep at all because we had to take up his food for the surgery today. The first thing he did when I opened his carrier was stumble out and head to the food dish. Poor baby, he couldn't even walk straight across the floor. The vet said it would be ok for him to eat a little. He has about a 3 inch shaven place on his leg with 4 stitches in it. Poor baby.

He's an old kitty now and it was scary having to put him under today, but he's doing really well right now.
I'll keep you posted on the results.
mockingbird
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

http://www.wildgooseberry.com

Back to top Go down

Desperado had surgery today... Empty Re: Desperado had surgery today...

Post by Sue Short Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:47 pm

Oh, Mockingbird you must have been scared out of your mind. Glad to hear he is home
and is doing well. Keep us posted on how he is doing and when the test results come
in.

((((((((((((((((HEALING VIBES AND PRAYERS))))))))))))
Sue Short
Sue Short
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:02 pm

i'll add some extra prayers and keep the candle lit for ya.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:29 pm

It's always difficult for everyone when our old dears have to be put under, and I'm glad Desi's first reaction was to totter to the food bowl. tongue Not surprised he's shadowing you, Kitty Mama; he'll need some reassurance for a while (as the bad dream fades) that he's safe at home. Glad, too, that you got his teeth done at the same time and got that out of the way. That's never any fun, but it must be done lest we get further probs.

Our elder babes have so many anomalies, it's often hard to decide when to treat or simply watch. I think you made all the right decisions here. You know you have my many prayers that all result reports will be good ones. Please keep us posted, and give our sweet old boy a little kiss from me. I love you
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:36 pm

I know that the last time Pugsley was put under, I wasn't sure if he would even come out of it. I will be thinking about Desi.
fluffnstuff
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jimkr2t Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:18 pm

My hopes are for the very best for Desi! ((((((((((HEALING VIBES!!!))))))))))

Jim
jimkr2t
jimkr2t
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:07 pm

You must've been scared nearly witless! I'm sure you did the right thing having that cyst removed and biopsied, and am praying for the best on that. Not surprised Desi is your clingycat right now, he's looking for reassurance which I'm sure you're giving him in abundance. I'm happy and relieved that he's doing okay now that he's home (going for food first thing even if his balance was a tad off). Please keep us posted on how he's doing and how the biopsy report comes out.

((((((((((((((((((STRONG HEALING VIBES)))))))))))))))))))))
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:55 am

Thank you all for remembering our dear old guy.
He's on the mend, but that scar is a nasty one. The vet did a great job, but she must have had to take out quite a bit of skin with the cyst. Good thing fur will eventually cover it. We're calling him "Frankenkitty" right now. Wink

He's still very clingy, but only with me. He'll sit by me and just look at me and purr. Joshua and I play a board game at night and he'll sit next to me on the bench (we have benches with our dining set) and purr and eventually shmooze his way onto my lap. I do try to get him to settle down and go to sleep quickly, because the board is at his eye level and he likes to knock the pieces off onto the floor.

He is on antibiotics twice a day for 10 days (8 more.) That's not very much fun for anyone involved.
I put his cozy bed on the floor with a piece of fleece in it and he is doing fine with sleeping there during the day. That way he doesn't have to jump onto the divan where it usually is.

His teeth are nice and white and his gums have healed up. They were bleeding before the cleaning.
It was scary putting him under, but the vet called us right after surgery to let us know it went well and then again later that day as he was in recovery. I LOVE our vet!

I'll be keeping you updated on his progress.
mockingbird
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:28 pm

The skin will also stretch a bit and fill in over the area too as it heals. The vet didn't have to take any muscle tissue along with skin to remove the cyst did s/he? Desi is looking for momma vibes while he heals.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:12 pm

About 5 minutes after I posted the last update, he jumped in my lap. I looked down to pet him, and gasped! He was coming undone! Sometime in the night, he pulled out two of the stitches and his wound was opening up. I called the vet, took him down and now he has staples AND the dreaded clinic collar (also known as the lampshade.) Our 10 days has to start from today now. With the new stress of his collar, I will be having to keep a close eye on him to make sure he doesn't end up with another stressed-induced urinary block. *sigh*

He is not a happy kitty.
I'm not too thrilled with this, either.
mockingbird
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:01 pm

Poor baby. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jimkr2t Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:39 pm

OK, we'll try this again! since the new problems have cropped up - ((((((((((HEALING VIBES COMING YOUR WAY))))))))))

Jim
jimkr2t
jimkr2t
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:02 pm

Oh, hell, the Dreaded Cone! I'm so sorry, Mockingbird! Whenever my babes have to go through this it always brings up my frustration that we can't talk to them and make them understand that if they would just leave their stitches alone and take their pills, it would all be over soon. *MEGA SIGH*

Darling, you, Joshua and Desperado have all my sympathies, prayers and best vibes for a stalwart and peaceful healing period. Keep keeping us posted!
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:23 am

Smile In the movie up it was called the cone of shame. Anyway sorry he has to wear one.
(((((((((((((((((((STRONG HEALING VIBES)))))))))))))))))))))))) ((((((((((((((((((VIBES OF
COMFORT))))))))))))) to you.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:05 am

Update on the update.

Well, about 15 minutes after my last update (maybe I should stop giving updates?!) I took the cone off so he could eat. They told me I could and I was watching him. Well, I looked away for about 2 seconds (really, I mean it was look down, look up) and what do I see? He's pulling at his staples! I ran over there and sure enough, just one tug and out comes a staple and he's undone again! Naughty kitty! (I know, I know...he's a good kitty and I love him dearly, and I certainly wouldn't want a staple in my leg, but honestly! We just had him in the clinic that morning!) So, I called the by-then-closed vet office and the vet called me back (there are 3 vets, actually, and they take turns being on call so we have 24-hour vet service, which we need with him!) She told me what to do to keep him together and in about half an hour I'm meeting her at the clinic to replace the staples. We elevated his food dish and water so he can get to them with that cone on, because that thing is not coming off one second more until the 10 days is up! (well, except to transport him back and forth to the vet's because he won't fit in his carrier with it on.)

We'll probably have to start the 10 days over again!

Really, kitty, I know you've had enough of this, but so have I!
Wish us luck, dear Mutties!
mockingbird
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:19 pm

salem says eating in a cone is doable..he did it for ...gawd...i think it was a month? '
with salem i called it the cone of silence (like on Get Smart) but it really was the cone of amplification...made his meows louder!
lots of special wet food anod snuggly blankets help.
Des you need to be thankful you don't have to be isolated and live in a big old cage until everything heals!
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:23 pm

Desi, you rascal, you leave your Mama no choice. Tough love it is.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:32 pm

We went down to the hospital (it's not a clinic, but a hospital) and had his staples replaced. Everything was fine and off we came home.
As soon as Desi was home, he headed off to the litterbox and tried to go potty. Nothing.
About 3 minutes later, he tried again. Nothing.

I packed him back up and we were able to get there while the vet was still there. I reminded her about his history of urinary blockage and she checked him. Sure enough, he was blocked pretty badly. I almost started crying right then and there. She said she was going to have to sedate him (not completely under, but enough so she could put a catheter in) and he'd have to stay for at least 3 days. She also said that with kitties like this, they allow 3 blocks and then STRONGLY suggest that they have this (expensive sounding) surgery to basically make it so that he wees like a girl. It entails making his penis defunct and really, basically making him like a girl kitty (although of course, he's still our guy!) Having this surgery would greatly lessen the chances of him blocking.

I went home, crying, and kitty-less. I just got home when Joshua greeted me at the door and said the doctor called and Desperado was able to go potty by himself and was ready to go home! So, (good thing we live close by) I went to go get him. She said that she must have loosened the block enough that he was able to release it and that he could go home for now. That surgery is still in the future, I know it, but maybe we can hold off for a while. I hate for him to go through so much all at once. This whole thing was stressful enough, which was why he blocked in the first place.

Desperado is now drinking out of my handcut, crystal Romanian fruit bowl (very wide mouth bowl on a pedestal) and an antique, shallow, widemouthed bowl for his food, (placed on two phone books.) This is temporary, but he's able to drink and eat without any problems now. He's also on 3 different meds now.

I think I gained at least 5 extra silver hairs today.
mockingbird
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:36 pm

Poor baby. That is a lot for a kitty to endure. ((((Vibes))))
WarriorNY
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:54 pm

Thank you, dear WarriorNY.
It's a lot for him and for all of us. The doggies have been very gentle with him and have left him alone so he can rest.

Poor babe. We have 9 days to go before the staples come out.
mockingbird
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:00 pm

OMG Elizabeth, that is a lot for Desi to go through. You too for that matter. I don't blame you for crying (and acquiring a few new gray hairs). I hope this is the last of the drama and that Desi heals without incident now.
((((((((((((((((VIBES))))))))))))))))
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:51 pm

I've been in close contact with the vet today. She called me twice for updates. Desi has urinated 3 times since yesterday, but he still has a urinary infection (on top of being blocked yesterday). His two new meds will take care of that, but he's very lethargic today. He just doesn't feel well at all. Poor baby. I took the cone off for about 5 minutes and sat RIGHT THERE with him so he could wash his face. Poor guy, he's looking kind of shabby with all that's gone on these few days.

Of course, all this happens just as Joshua's leaving for a (hopefully) short National Guard mission overseas. He should be home with us in about a month. Hopefully nothing else will happen. .*knock on wood*
mockingbird
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:56 pm

Elizabeth, I hate hearing all of this. I know how hard it is on you, especially with Joshua going
overseas. (((((((((((((HEALING VIBES)))))))) for Desi, ((((((((((((STAY SAFE VIBES))))))))) for Joshua
and (((((((((((STAY STRONG VIBES))))))) for you.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:43 pm

man i miss having a real phone....i'd say we could talk when joshua is gone. i'm glad that the blockage cleared itself but i know its hard to have to worry about the future.
instead of phone books you might try finding a box to put the bowls on....like one of those priority large or medium size boxes?
maybe being on all the medication is making him kinda logey....do you think a little yogurt might help him feel better?
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:14 pm

Having an infection can make you lethargic too, especially if it was a bad one. The meds should clear that up and Desi will feel better soon. Still, I know how hard it is watching your lil one like that, and with Joshua gone too and worrying about him. Try to get some rest yourself Elizabeth, you have to stay strong and healthy for all your loved ones, furry and otherwise.

(((((((((((((((((((STRONG GOOD VIBES))))))))))))))))))
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next