Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hummies are here!

+3
fiffur
jeanebellini
bpaquet
7 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Hummies are here! - Page 2 Empty Re: Hummies are here!

Post by fiffur Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:26 pm

I SAW ONE! And it's in the tree just outside Brad's bedroom window. I saw it Saturday night flying back and forth, like it was attached to a string swinging. There was a male robin sitting on the branch and Mr. Hummer must've though he was too close to his nest. That lil hummer spent nearly 20 minutes flying past that robin's nose back and forth, and divebombing that robin too before the robin finally moved off. Triumphant lil hummer promptly circled the tree, then headed into the branches presumably to check on the nest.
fiffur
fiffur
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:36 pm

Cool! I'm glad your little hummies are out and about now. I guess they've hatched their little ones and are getting territorial. Mine are in swarm mode. They are sitting on top of the shepherd's hook that I use to hang the feeder. They look into the kitchen window and make a little chirp noise. It's really cool to hear them.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:47 pm

I haven't seen a one this year down here.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:58 am

I usually only spot a hummer for an instant, then it's gone. This is the longest I've ever gotten to watch one fly (escept for the one I rescued from my hallway). This is the first one I've spotted in 2 years??? Can't wait to see if I see baby hummers too when they learn to fly.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:08 pm

I've never seen flight training. I just think they hatch and come out of the nest full grown. We have some smaller ones flying around, so maybe they are the kids. I saw some freshly hatched in the nest, but they didn't even have feathers yet. They were SO small.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:29 am

An adult hummer is very small too, I held one in my hand that one time. I also have an old hummer's nest that I found on the ground in the fall a few years ago. It's barely bigger than a nickle on the outside. I'll bet those littler ones you see flying around are the youngsters from the first brood.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:06 pm

The nest I saw with babies in it was about the size of an old silver dollar. But it was really small. The hummies are crazy now. They are zooming everywhere, making all kinds of noise and are barely scared off when we walk by. I'm sure the babies are out and flying now. The crape myrtle trees are just busting with flowers (our old late trees) and the kids love to perch in them. they also like our mostly-dead cedar tree.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:29 pm

Your yard seems to be a hummer sanctuary! I can't imagine so many hummers flying around near me, I only see them one at a time.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:02 pm

We have lots and lots of hummy attracive flowers and since we're in the country, it's quiet. I think the birds like the open spaces and just view us as the makers of the bird juice. (That's what we call the sugar water we make for them.)
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:47 am

They probably think of you that way, especially when they swarm the feeder while you're still holding it. I saw the lil hummer again last night, flying in and out of that same tree. The male robin thought about landing on that particular branch again, but thought better of it and sat in the next tree over.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:04 pm

Saw my first hummer a couple of days ago. Really neat.
Wish I could a picture.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:34 pm

The ones here are getting bolder and bolder. One sits on the shepherd's hook that holds the feeder and looks into the kitchen window. He doesn't even fly away when I walk past. They are chasing each other all over the yard. Maybe the one in your yard got chased and decided your place was good now that the weather is better. OR he/she left because it's too awfully hot here.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:39 am

The lady down the street from me has several hummer feeders in her flower-covered yard. She said she watched hummies flying around playing in her sprinklers!
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:54 pm

They love water. Ours are the most active right before a rain storm. They fly around in gentle rain, but when it's pouring, they hide out.

We have one very dominant male. He's been perching on the shepherd's hook and chasing others away. He goes to his nest at some points because I see girls visiting the feeder and I think other males sneak in when the feeder king isn't around. The only things that keep him out of the feeder are the wasps.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:05 am

Yeah, wasps are even more territorial than the boldest hummie! Would a second feeder help the other hummies, so they don't have to wait until he leaves to get a feed?
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:36 pm

We have a few feeders scattered around. Nobody goes without. It's just funny to watch the bossy one sit on the hook and puff up his feathers. He definitely rules that feeder. The other birds are so busy chasing each other around that they barely notice.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:35 am

I wonder if that bothers him that no one else is noticing his "sitting on his throne"? That his "subjects" are ignoring him? I'll bet it's a hoot to watch him sitting there like that though.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Fisshy Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:43 pm

I finally have hummies on a regular basis I am so happy!!! cheers
Fisshy
Fisshy
Mutts Fan
Mutts Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:43 pm

aw that's great....it must be cool to see them all the time now!

(we've been seeing pigeons here.....never saw them before. i'd rather see a hummingbird though!)
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:09 pm

Glad to hear that they've moved in, Fisshy! Pigeons... I never see those here. How weird. I don't really think about it. We get doves... That's about as close as we get.

Ours are very active now. I think they are eating up to prepare for the migration. Hard to believe September is right around the corner. They start going south then. I'll miss them.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:57 am

Brad reported that he saw at least 30 hummers at his feeder yesterday. But I think that it's the same dozen hummies coming several times a day. He's never seen more than a dozen at a time. Since the feeder is only inches from the window glass he has a prime viewing spot to watch hummer action. I told him that one hummer last week must've told his friends, and they told their friends.................

I also told him after they leave for the winter he'll have to put the feeder up again in late April, since they'll come back and remember where his feeder was. I have yet to spot one at his feeder.............
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:12 pm

30 is a boatload. I don't know if we have that many. I know we have swarms, but I usually only see about 5 or 6 zooming around the feeder at once. I do see them in the trees though. It's neat to see them perching. Usually, we see them just buzzing around, but they DO sit still and rest.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:36 am

I SAW ONE, I SAW ONE! Yesterday I went over to plug in Brads phone into the recharger, happened to go over to the window to check the level of sugarwater in the feeder.........................and saw two honeybees getting a sip, then a hummer came over from seemingly nowhere and took 3 long sips, looking at me through the glass (I was only mere inches away), flew over to check out my mom's feeder (wrong kind), then continued over to the flower garden by the patio where all those yummy petunias and other flowers are. Brad had seen a few hummers in that garden earlier that day on his way around the building for exercise that morning.

So the hummers have discovered his feeder, the garden, and I know they'll be back next spring!
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:38 pm

I went out to fill Bijoux's feeder and lo and behold: two cute lil hummies getting a meal from Brad's feeder not 10 feet from me. cheers They were so cute and flew a lil duet around that spot in the yard before heading into the treee. First time in my life I've ever seen two at the same time!
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:54 pm

They get quite creative when swarms of them start ganging up on the feeder.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next