Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arizona Humane Society

4 posters

Go down

Arizona Humane Society Empty Arizona Humane Society

Post by fiffur Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:39 pm

...are scrambling to salvage their reputation in the face of this scandal. I was sickened and appalled they did this to his kitten. I also noticed they removed their contact us email page on their website.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/28/arizona-humane-society-comes-under-fire-after-euthanizing-phoenix-mans-cat/
this one has a pic of Scruffy: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/12/29/20111229humane-society-changes-policies-cat-euthanized.html
fiffur
fiffur
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Arizona Humane Society Empty Re: Arizona Humane Society

Post by Suzzzz Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:40 pm

This was a terrible mess of very bad rules and miscommunication that ended tragically. Arizona is indeed scrambling to sort out and fix what went wrong, and I pray they do. Difficult laws and terrible lack of funds cripple shelters all over this country. I only hope that poor Scruffy's death serves as a wake up call for all shelters to re-examine their own procedures.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:00 pm

I don't which angers me the most the fact that they lied to this man, or the fact they are
trying to spin this. My prayers are with this man, I hope he continues to stay drug free and that
he finds another feline friend to help him in his struggle.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:06 pm

Arizona is also the state that stopped paying for lifesaving transplants for medicaid recipients. After several people died from not getting those transplants, the publicity forced them to reinstate paying for them. But people had to die to get the policy changed, which is horrible. I wouldn't live in Arizona if you paid me!

It's also horrible Scruffy and others had to die to get the humane society to change their outdated policies and join the 21st century. I am angry that they lied AND tried to put a spin on the results. If it wasn't for the publicity this got, I bet their old draconian policies would still be in effect. I also hope that man can manage to stay clean and sober and find another feline friend when he's ready.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:35 pm

Based on the comments here, I don't think I'll read the story. I'm thankful that our animal control folks here in our little town have started to peek out of the dark ages a little. Otherwise my little foster kitten Tess would not be here today.
gbste
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:43 pm

I'm glad my local shelter is also joining the 21st century in their policies.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:43 pm

There is a group in Walnut, IA. that over the summer started a TNR program. They have since renamed
themselves Western Iowa Feral. Anyway the point is their town and a lot of the neighboring towns do not
have shelters, anything. What they do have is so small that the only thing they can do is kill. What they are doing is
stopping animals cats in particular from getting into the system.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 pm

Maybe they should look into raising the money to start a shelter, staffed with volunteers. At least the TNR will help hold the feral population down.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down