Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

taxes have you ever done them online?

+4
fiffur
gbste
BobCat
jeanebellini
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

taxes have you ever done them online? Empty taxes have you ever done them online?

Post by jeanebellini Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:47 pm

no i;m not asking how much you make or anything personal...but just want to know if anyone there in Muttsland has ever done their taxes on freefile throug the IRS. i don't really trust the post office any more and really would like to see if it got my money to me a little faster.
BUT i've never done them online and i don't know anyone around here who does them that way. Everyone else has somebody else do their taxes for them. (don't need that)
So...has anyone done their own taxes online with the freefile system?if so, was it easy or a pain?(cuz if its a hassle then i'll just do it by hand and send it in...i just need to make room on the kitchen table!....i tried to do my taxes last week and the table had so much stuff on it i couldn't; even lay my papers out to work on them!)
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

taxes have you ever done them online? Empty Re: taxes have you ever done them online?

Post by BobCat Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:40 pm

I've used TurboTax but never the free file site. It's probably fine. I knw the IRS is trying really hard to get us all to stop sending paper forms.
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

taxes have you ever done them online? Empty Re: taxes have you ever done them online?

Post by gbste Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:49 pm

I've used Turbo Tax for several years. It's very easy. My returns are simple enough that I should probably use the IRS free site. I'm lazy enough that I go bac to TT because they import my previous year's info for the first part of the form and that saves me some time.
gbste
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:24 pm

I've never done my taxes online, I'm afraid of my s.s. # getting taken by hackers wanting to steal or sell my indentity. Is there any site that's really 100% safe from that?
fiffur
fiffur
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:58 pm

i would never do anything on a public computer but if you work with your own computer and go through a legit site (i looked at the website they had in the booklet i got but didn't dig too hard last night...i wonder if Turbo Tax is in there?)and i would use one of those.
fiff there are two things to look for whenever you're doing anythnig online...and that includes shopping (I NEVER buy online unlessi see these!) one is the log icon usually in the bottom right side of the screen and the other is the S in the address in the address bar. i believe its https: that means its a secutre server.
and if you're worried about your social secutiry # being out there on the net well it already it....if you've filled out forms for any assistance or done taxes with anyone who puts them into a computer its out there. if you've ever filled out a job application in the past..i don't know... 5-10 yrs? its out there.
i'm not afraid going through a secure site given by the government but i would type it in myself and not go through a search or just click on something!

if it wasn't for the little bit of extra (like i don't know...$10?) i'm supposed to get from that...what is it called/ earnedincome?....i;d go to H&R. they do your simple federal tax for free. (BUT i don't know if you have to get the money back on one of their sort of credit card things or not....i know i've heard of that before).

jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:49 pm

I look for the 's' and the lil lock that shows up in the bar. That shows it's supposedly a secure site but I keep reading about all these different places being hacked.....

I've always done my own taxes and mailed them in.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:01 pm

I've only done my taxes myself once and it was a harrowing experience, even though it's fairly simple. (maybe because I waited for the last minute. I usually go to H&R Block, especially since last year the fed tax was free. I think it's free again this year if you file EZ and go to them before the end of this month.
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:41 pm

yep lk its free again...but not if you're ellagable for the earned income thingie. which is stupid because that means you're poorer than most folks! i'd go but i just barely qualify for the extra thingie.
taxes really are simple to do if you do the 1040 EZ,only have one job and no extra money coming in from stuff (like i guess if you have land or something?). when i moved to TX a friend there sat me down at her kitchen table and showed me how easy it was and i've never paid anyone again. i went to H & R the first two times i did my taxes and it really was discusting....i paid them like $50 to get back around $35!
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:46 pm

Still you qualify and the extra money would be good right
now.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:19 pm

oh yeah whether i do it online or through the mail that money coming will go right into the check book to pay for salem. i usually use it for my trip to the artfest and earth day and buy some things i've needed through the year and put part of it in the savings (gawd it sounds like i get a lot more than i do!)but this year its 100% salem's.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:05 pm

I think that H&R will do the EZ for you, but the earned income has an extra fee. I don't know what it is as I don't qualify. Last year I put some money in my IRA for the first time in forever (my dad sent me the money) so I've got to find out if that still qualifies for EZ,
If you go to H&R, jeane they will file it for you on line and the money will go directly to you from the government, unless you want the money right away, then they will give you the refund and have the money come to them. I think there is a fee for that. Not worth it, unless you are desperate for the money right away, but if you file early enough the money is usually refuned from the government pretty fast
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:54 pm

naw i can't do the H&R because i do qualify for that little extra. its not much but its probably as much as i'm getting from NJ...i swear they should send me my refund in postage stamps!
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:59 pm

okay...how many people have their taxes done??? (I didn't do mine online but i did get them sent in...want to try to get that money asap for salem!)
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:32 pm

Haven't done mine yet--just can't concentrate yet with this cold and headache hanging on. I'm too afraid of the IRS swooping in if I make a mistake......
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:34 pm

I'll be getting mine done this weekend
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:35 pm

I've always done my own taxes.
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:11 pm

unless you own property or have a lot of money i figure that taxes should be pretty easy. i don't even use a calculator just paper and pencil and my brain;) IF i can do it on a cleared table with all my papers laid out i can do it in well under half an hour....and i really check my info before i put it in ink;)
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Magdalene Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:05 am

I've done them online the last 4-5 years...get my refund directly deposited into my bank account in about 10 days or so...never had a problem...knowck on wood (I use HR Block free through the IRS website)
Magdalene
Magdalene
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:40 pm

i had something funky on my computer i found right before i was going to do the tax thing so i did mine as the mail in again this year. but i did have the guy at the bank write down my routing # so i could have it sent to the bank. (last year i tried it but i put in the wrong # and it wound up coming in months late!) I figured i'd give this a try and maybe next year try the full on internet thing!
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Magdalene Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:46 pm

Good luck! Always fun...
Magdalene
Magdalene
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:13 pm

Hi, Mags. How are you doing?
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:50 pm

Great to see you, Mags! I love you I love you I love you

I'm scared to do my own taxes. My pal from my work's accountants does them for me. She's a CPA and knows her stuff, and she doesn't charge me much. She's pretty strict, though! She even makes me keep track of all my online purchases so I can pay the proper NC sales tax, even though the state would never know! Oh, well, she keeps me honest, and digs for every deduction out there, so it's all good.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Magdalene Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:37 am

Hello Everyone!!!!!!! I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you
Magdalene
Magdalene
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:43 pm

what...nobody noticed the dude with the dimples there next to mags;)
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Magdalene Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:52 pm

jeanebellini wrote:what...nobody noticed the dude with the dimples there next to mags;)

I figured no one here would notice.....
Magdalene
Magdalene
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next