Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Summer Cold! 7/2/10

+2
fluffnstuff
BobCat
6 posters

Go down

A Summer Cold! 7/2/10 Empty A Summer Cold! 7/2/10

Post by BobCat Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:11 pm

Actually, I just got back from the doctor's office, and it's more than that - I have one of those upper respiratory thingies AGAIN, and a temp of almost 101°. UGH. They're calling in all kinds of medicines, but that will surely put a damper on my holiday weekend... A Summer Cold! 7/2/10 Icon_sad

On that note, I'm off to take a nap. A Summer Cold! 7/2/10 Sleep
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

A Summer Cold! 7/2/10 Empty Re: A Summer Cold! 7/2/10

Post by fluffnstuff Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:51 pm

I hope you will start to feel better soon.
fluffnstuff
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:29 pm

oh bc take your medication and forget about the 'holiday' weekend.better to be healthy than worry about some fireworks.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:28 am

Thanks - OMG I feel awful this morning! Horrible headache, sore throat, chest congestion. Wow... This is going to be one low key weekend. A Summer Cold! 7/2/10 Icon_sad
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:32 pm

Make sure to take your meds on time, that helps. I'm sure with a lot of rest you will feel a lot better by the time I have computer access again. Don't worry about the fireworks, you can always call up a batch to watch online later on.
fiffur
fiffur
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:18 pm

How are you feeling now Bobcat?
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:52 pm

It actually turned out to be more than a cold. I had a fever, so they put me on antibiotics - and when I ran out of them and still was sick, they called in a stronger one, which I'll be on for the next week or so. I went back to work yesterday, but started to cough wildly by the afternoon, so I listened when my coworkers kicked me out and left at 1:30. Went straight home and slept for two hours. Then up for about four more hours and back to bed for the night. Today, I made it through the whole day. I still cough, but finally, I don't feel like I'm sick and going through the motions. I actually forget about it until a coughing fit comes along - but they're not as often and not as severe today. Thanks for asking!
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:17 pm

Glad to hear that you are feeling better. Coughing sessions can
be debilating.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:37 pm

Upper respiratory infections are just a part of life now - I seem to get between 2 and 4 a year. I do as much as I can to strengthen my lungs between times by either walking every day or climbing the stairs in the winter time, but every time a cold slips in, it goes right to my chest.
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:47 pm

you're doing your best...i just hope they never get too severe and you catch them early! you're not only keeping your lungs in good order with the walking and stairs but you're doing your heart a lot of good as well!
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:13 pm

I know what you mean bobcat, my mom always has her colds go straight to her chest too. Very hard to get rid of. And the coughing jags can be so bad you actually pull muscles in your ribcage. The rest, exercise, and meds when needed are about all you can do for the condition short of becoming a hermit so you don't get exposed to a cold germ in the first place. I know my mom picks hers up mostly off grocery cart handles and doorknobs.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:52 pm

fiff the grocery stores (and even the store i work at) have wipes right by the carts so you can clean the before you put your hands on them. I don't have time to waste doing it at the store i work at, but i always wipe down the cart at the grocery store including the seat and all the area around it.
shopping carts and kids' faces are dirtier and germier than toilet seats and butt cracks...its been tested! Cracks me up....butts being cleaner than faces and people scream at their kids not to touch ANYTHING in a public bathroom yet neither the parents nor the kids wash their hands on the way out of the bathroom and they will allow the kid to play with and chew on toys all over the store and dump them when they get to the cash register!

BC do the infections seem to come when there's a weather change or a seasonal change?
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:34 pm

Well, this summer time infection was a real surprise. I've been getting them on a fairly regular basis around cold and flu season, but this was the first summer one since my 2005 pneumonia bout. Before that, I never had bronchitis or any upper respiratory troubles. I'd catch the occasional head cold, but not much more than that.
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:48 pm

i'm wonder if there's something in the air....i have a friend who lives farther down toward the shore and he's got something down in his chest right now.
i've got something but its not much...just sinus stuff going down into my throat and i think a little fever. nothing ac,some sleep and lots of cold stuff to drink (and maybe a benedryl) couldn't take care of;) sleep and benedryl i've got...cold stuff to drink i can freeze but the ac is probably what made it all start messing my nose/sinuses;)
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:52 pm

Went for my first walk in the p-a-r-k with the pups this morning, before it got too warm for them to want to go far. Actually went to the forest preserve, but in the woods we started to get eaten alive so we hit the paved trail instead. At least I didn't cough my head off, so I may be able to go for a walk at lunch time tomorrow, as long as it's not too strenuous - and as long as I take my sunscreen. The antibiotic I'm on affects your ability to go in the sun for any length of time.
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:49 pm

i never knew antibiotics could do that with the sun...but i don't take them that often.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Susan A Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:27 pm

BobCat wrote:The antibiotic I'm on affects your ability to go in the sun for any length of time.

Take that advice seriously. I thought I was being careful and managed to catch sunlight on the side of my face while in the car. I wound up with a very odd sunburn (blisters actually) on my cheek and chin. I don't remember which antibiotic it was, but it taught me to observe vampire protocol while on those things!

I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling better. We've been sending the GET BETTER BOBCAT vibes.
Susan A
Susan A
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Thanks for the good vibes. I'm still on the antibiotic, which has a number of stipulations - even where it should and should not be stored (cool and dark, but not in the bathroom because of dampness). I'll still hit the codeine before bed - which is right about now - but most of the other meds are back on the shelf for now.
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:54 pm

Are they helping you to feel better? I know some antibiotics come with the warning to stay out of the sun, take them seriously. You don't want to be dealing with a sunburn too.

(((((((((((((HEALING VIBES))))))))))))))))
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:13 am

Finally, I feel normal again. How long was that one? Almost two weeks. I wasn't terribly sick that whole time, but a week of it I sure was.
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:55 am

Glad to hear you feel much better!
fiffur
fiffur