Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My journey to better health

+5
BobCat
bpaquet
Suzzzz
Sue Short
fiffur
9 posters

Page 22 of 23 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Go down

My journey to better health - Page 22 Empty Re: My journey to better health

Post by Sue Short Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:34 pm

Sounds like you had incredible care. Glad you're home, rest take it easy. It will take time for your body to heal. And I happen to like bad pennies by the way.
Sue Short
Sue Short
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire Flower Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:41 pm

Lori, I am glad you are home and safe. Hug

Fire Flower
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:39 pm

I am going stir crazy!  Not allowed to drive while on the anti-seizure meds given as a precaution.  AARRGGHH!  I have shin splints from all the walking I'm doing.  Taking short naps in the mid to late afternoon, otherwise I'm completely back to normal already (except for the staples running the length of my head).  Thank heavens those come out next Monday.  They itch and hurt a bit to lay on.

In case you're interested: This is very similar to what I've heard in both ears my entire life only what I hear is higher pitched yet than this and been hearing it since at least the age of 4 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEdz5Qx0Otg Sometimes it sounds like someone playing with a volume knob going up and down too but it is constant.

I found this online and this sounds a great deal like what I'm hearing in my right ear since the surgery, (on top of the usual tinnitus) only the background is more like water constantly running with the whoosh louder on top of that (Jessica's Whoosh clip): http://whooshers.com/whooshersounds.html

fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:11 pm

Shocked That must be making you crazy.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:24 pm

I'm more or less used to the cicada sound since I have heard that all my life. I was around 16 when I found out not everyone heard that in their head.
The whoosh is new though so I need a second fan running to drown it out so I can sleep. Otherwise it would drive me nuts!
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:44 pm

I am now thoroughly p*ssed off at my crapsurance company! I came home today after having 25 staples removed from my head to a letter "denied claim" for the entire hospitalization and the craniotomy that was done! As if this condition would magically get better on it's own without medical intervention. How stupid do they think I am? I have a twice tested IQ of 129, which I daresay is more than a few points higher than anyone who works at the crapsurance company offices.

Anybody know how badly I want to reach through the phone to the "closed for the day" crapsurance company and strangle a few a$$holes who know NOTHING about life-threatening conditions?
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:18 pm

My sister told my mom in front of me Sunday that she prayed I'd have "an emergency on the table" so I'd become a "moral, decent, grateful person".

I didn't know until yesterday how close she came to having her wish: my uncle let it slip that the surgeon told him and mom immediately after my surgery that the DAVM was on the verge of rupturing. I would be dead now if I had delayed that surgery even a few days.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:07 pm

Shocked Holy cow! Glad they got it in time.

As for crapsurance, coordinate with the hospital's billing department. Many times, they can help push things through. The surgeon's office should also be able to help. I don't know if your surgeon works for the hospital or if he/she bills on his(er) own.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:46 pm

The nurse emailed me and said since I am on Medicaid I won't get billed no matter what. They are appealing the crapsurances' decision and I'm sure they'll change their mind. After all, having a DAVM ready to burst taken out IS necessary surgery. Think of the cost of years and years of rehab if it had burst and I survived..........

I am glad they got it in time too. I will be here to greet my new great-nephew when he's born in December. Haven't held a baby since his mom was one herself.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:28 pm

I'm weird. I'm actually kind of scared to hold babies. Smile
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:40 am

It's easy, just hold them close like you would a purring kitty.

So far so good but I did bump my head this morning getting in the car and heard something crack. Going to the doc in town to see if they want to take a look just in case.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:00 pm

Nope. I'll just avoid babies. I know how to hold them and did it plenty when I was growing up. My friends' kids are all growing up now, and I don't have any younger relatives, so I'll just observe from a distance. Smile

Ouch! Hope everything's ok.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:34 pm

So far so good, except for the ice pick headaches I'm having in the surgery area now. I'm still sleeping more than normal, guess I'm still healing despite feeling nearly normal....just tire more easily. This explains what a AVM is: http://www.avmsurvivors.org/t/what-is-the-avm/18183
Mine was a DAVM, which means it was in the dura, the tough covering of the brain just under the bone.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:13 pm

Shocked
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:43 pm

My DAVM was two major arteries feeding into one vein. No wonder it was ready to burst...too much pressure. My BGL are now finally back to normal, the headaches aren't too bad though the scalp is still numb. 50/50 chance it will get feeling back, only time will tell. Otherwise he said I'm doing well and showed me how big a bone flap they put in me, I can feel the edges in several places. About 6" across. Neurosurgeon cleared me so I can get my throat surgery done now....next week Wednesday. Bij will have to stay at least one night at the vets again.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:39 pm

Good to hear that things are getting back to normal. But, more surgery. Ick. Hopefully, that will go easily.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:26 pm

It should but I will be left with the worst sore throat I've had since my strep back when I was 19. I came up allergic to penicillin and that was the only treatment for it then. I suffered through that for over 3 weeks, lost 19# in 21 days, and had an intensely itchy rash for a month!
At least this time I won't have the rash.

Have yogurt, pudding, jello, sore throat tea, cough drops, protein powder, and soup I can put through the blender at the ready. Now to remember how to let liquid trickle down my throat without actually swallowing......
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:11 pm

My throat sure hurts....having trouble sleeping, eating, you name it. Feel like the walking dead I'm so tired.

Turns out it was easy for the surgeon. Not attached at the top so no risk of losing my ability to swallow. But it was like a balloon instead, filled with blood, and ready to burst. Told my mom he was pleased I wanted to learn all about it and see it (he showed me a pic). Guess docs like intelligent patients!
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:18 pm

They do!

Glad you're on your feet. I hope you get some rest soon. Did they give you anything for the pain/discomfort?
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:56 am

Yeah, but it's not helping much. Makes me sleepy. My eardrums hurt more than my throat now. It's sheer hell trying to swallow anything......feels like someone is shoving an icepick in both eardrums!
You'd think hydrocodone would work better than that.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:54 pm

You'd think. Opioids don't have anti-inflammatory effects, so if there's swelling, that's probably causing the pain. They are fabulous narcotics though. ZZZZ

Good luck! Tell Bij I say he needs to perform his kitty healing duties.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:40 pm

Off the hydrocodone and on the Tylenol and lots of cough drops. The earache is finally down to a dull ache, no more sharp icepick pain when I swallow. Throats not as bad either, I might actually be able to eat somewhat normally for my birthday and Thanksgiving...as long as it's not crunchy.

I read the scab was supposed to fall off but it isn't. Instead, it's just getting thinner in the middle like it's being worn off. Thicker on the edges and nearly gone in the middle. He sure took a lot out from back there! Or is that an illusion since the tonsils were so swollen and big?
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:37 am

Throat is much better...so are the earaches. Scabs are totally gone and I managed to eat a thanksgiving type dinner today at the church Senior Saints monthly meetup with no trouble. Even pie crust! Not bad for my birthday meal.
I tried to eat some pecans but they made my throat a little sore. Guess I have to heal up a bit more before trying that again. I wonder how long.............has anyone in here had a tonsillectomy that they remember? How long was it before you could eat anything/everything without any problems?
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:20 am

Clean bill of health from the doc. The tumor was benign. Healing very well according to him. I don't have to go back at all for years now. Ultrasound of my thyroid in maybe 1 1/2 years to see if that teensy lump has grown any or not.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:40 pm

Great news! I love you
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart