Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Envoy and Kina go to Boarding School

4 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Envoy and Kina go to Boarding School Empty Envoy and Kina go to Boarding School

Post by bpaquet Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:39 am

Today Envoy and Kina went to "school." We didn't ride because storms were on the way and we wanted to get everything unloaded before the bad weather blew in. We got everything unpacked and put away before a HUGE thunderstorm (and supposed tornado) came. The cupola blew off the barn, and shingles blew off every roof. Branches were down everywhere, and a big section of the county was without power. Fortunately, my friend has a standby generator, so we could continue to finish things up and start a little cleanup.

A nice, but unrideable horse named Cree is at my house keeping Casper company. So far, they seem to get along. They're sniffing across the stall, and I haven't heard any kicking or squeals.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Envoy and Kina go to Boarding School Empty Re: Envoy and Kina go to Boarding School

Post by Sue Short Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Hope everybody enjoys boarding school. The storm sounded frightening. Glad everybody is okay and there was just property damage.

Why is Cree unrideable? Not sound?
Sue Short
Sue Short
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Envoy and Kina go to Boarding School Empty Re: Envoy and Kina go to Boarding School

Post by fiffur Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:04 pm

Glad nobody was hurt during that storm. I'm also curious: why is Cree unrideable?
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:23 pm

Cree has navicular syndrome. That means that he has heel pain. The vet thinks it's from arthritis in his "ankle" joint probably caused by over jumping in his earlier career. He'd probably be fine for slow walks on soft ground, but he is better suited as a companion horse. Poor guy. He's only 12 years old.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:50 pm

That sucks then, only 12. Poor guy.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:01 pm

That really does suck. Poor guy. Young yet too.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:52 pm

He seems comfortable enough. He might make a good horse for someone who just wants to walk around on slow rides. I'm sure there are treatments for the symptoms even if he can't be cured.

No riding today. I forgot my quarter sheet, and it was windy/cold. The horses were in no mood to take their blankets off and showed it by bucking around in the pasture. So, I spent the day cleaning up paddocks. I was nice and warm!
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:07 pm

Sounds like it. As to Cree, I think he's better off being a pasture orniment.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:50 am

The unfortunate thing is that there are few homes that need/want a pasture ornament. He'd be welcome here, but I have no stall available when the school kids come home. Sad
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:20 pm

Hard to improvise an extra room I suppose, even if that means losing a part of the aisle? Just an idea....
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:07 pm

Not possible or safe. Stalls aren't like houses. They need support to withstand kicks from BIG animals and not be unstable when those animals lean on walls. I have word out to people who might need a companion horse.

Envoy and Kina are tucked in at school. I didn't go today because the weather is terrible. I didn't want to drive in it after dark. They have hay and heated water buckets, and blankets with hoods to keep them warm/dry. We are all ready for spring!
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:04 pm

Kinda what I figured...and adding on a stall would be cost-prohibitive and harder than adding a room onto a house. Hopefully somebody nearby will like Cree and take him in. Then the ponies can go visiting!
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:05 pm

I went to see Envoy and Kina today. No riding because it was SO cold. They are doing well. They want to be outside because there's no wind today. I guess they got tired of being in during last night's horrible weather. Even though it's 10 degrees outside, I bet they're playing outside.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:21 pm

Either that or they'll be going stall crazy (pony version of cabin fever). And next week they'll be stall bound a lot too. Stupid winter weather.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:13 pm

Today was warmer (32 degrees) and windy. It was COLD with the wind. I rode for about 20 minutes, but even though we were in the indoor, it was miserable. I spent 3 hours trying to pick frozen poo piles out of paddocks with about a 50% success rate. Crazy weather.

I sure hope next week spares us some of the awful wind, rain, snow. The forecasts look dire. They've been wrong before, and I'd be glad if they were again!
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:14 pm

Finally! A nice enough day to ride. Kina and I had a nice ride with an audio lesson. Tomorrow's supposed to be nice enough, and then the deep freeze returns. I think we're all pretty tired of winter. This is the coldest one we've had in quite a few years.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:03 pm

I hear you. We are going back the cold box tonight.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:35 pm

I got the horses all tucked in just in case I won't be able to make it to the barn after work. The snow is supposed to start around lunch time. If it gets heavy, I'll go home and finish my day there. I don't want to be driving around in heavy snow, which is supposed to start in the late evening, which is when I usually come home.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:48 pm

Sounds like a good idea. It's just bloody cold here.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:48 pm

No visits today. I was afraid that the roads would get bad before I started home. Since I drive back roads almost the whole way, I decided to stay safe and just come home.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:00 pm

I didn't go anywhere for 3 days because of the cold and the road conditions. I don't blame you for staying safe. Hope the ponies understand that though.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:12 pm

The roads are still pretty stinky. I've heard the plow go by a couple times, so I should be able to make it to the boarding school barn tomorrow. I've only left the house a couple times today. It was cold, but sunny today, and the report from school is that Envoy and Kina were enjoying their hay roll and played a bit in the snow. Smile
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:13 pm

Same here. I'm grateful for the small improvements that have helped
keep the flat a little warmer.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:55 pm

I made it to the school barn today. All is well, but messy. I spent a couple hours cleaning and organizing. It's amazing how sloppy horses can be. The weather is warming, so I imagine they'll have mud all over themselves and their blankets tomorrow.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:06 pm

Which means more fun for you, right? Anyone can be sloppy if you're bored with nothing else to do but make a mess.....
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next