Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saving money

+8
Suzzzz
BobCat
WarriorNY
Sue Short
fiffur
jeanebellini
lovekitties
fluffnstuff
12 posters

Page 1 of 33 1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 33  Next

Go down

Saving money Empty Saving money

Post by fluffnstuff Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:00 pm

This past Thursday, I used a 40% off coupon from Border's on a book that is almost $30 retail and got the book for $17 and change.
fluffnstuff
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Saving money Empty Re: Saving money

Post by lovekitties Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:35 pm

That's the way to go!

I've been getting most of the books I've been reading at the library, either cast offs or borrowing. I have so many books to read I won't have to go out and buy one for years. LOL
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:25 pm

same with me...the books like lk:)
Borders always has good coupons...whenever someone wants a book or dvd that we don't carry i tell them to try Borders.com. (you can try Amazon, but Borders is much more personal and friendly).

i've got some good coupons that came inside a tv dinner box...i really should have bought more of those tv dinners then cuz i don't see the coupons on the boxes anymore:( one is 60cents off 6 tv dinners...the dinners are $1 each so they'll only be 90cents;) i just have to wait to get another check so i can afford to spend that much as once!
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:53 pm

In the last few months, I decided that a goal of mine is to buy more used books. That coupon was the only way I could afford the book.
fluffnstuff
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:42 pm

The only new books I intend to get this year are the Mutts books, any others will have to be borrowed through the library loan system. Just can't afford to buy like I used to.........
fiffur
fiffur
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:45 pm

most books wind up in resale places not long after they come out...esp after the summer. people buy them to read on vacation and then just hand them off to Salvation Army,thrift shop or whatever. (one of these days i hope to get a ride to the big library (there are two in this town, the one by me is a small one...about the size of a library in an elementary school...cuz it is in an old school;) )and try to find the other Odd Thomas books. those are ones i'd like to read leisurely.

too bad they don't have the cheap cheap postal rate anymore for printed matter....then we could exchange books in here!
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:54 am

I know, that would be a great idea but the cost of postage would wreak havoc on most of our budgets.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:58 pm

used to be you could send a paperback media mail for well under $1....usually less than 50 cents! now its only worthwhile if you can ship a flat rate box full....you could put a lot of paperbacks in a flat rate box for around $10.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:59 pm

used to be you could send a paperback media mail for well under $1....usually less than 50 cents! now its only worthwhile if you can ship a flat rate box full....you could put a lot of paperbacks in a flat rate box for around $10.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:18 am

If some us lived close enough to meet somewhere to exchange books, it might be worth it. I did get an email from Half Price Books about a clearance sale that will be at the state fairgrounds. Everything is for $3 or less. My dad and I are going to it even though neither of us need more books right now, but I may see something.
fluffnstuff
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:49 pm

there's a place in Michigan called bargain Books, mostly remainders. They have one a few blocks from the Hotel I stay at in Lansing, and I've also visited on in grand rapids. you can get some real bargains there

lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:44 pm

wow i never heard of it! but then when i was in MI there weren't a lot of bargain stores around. there was just the normal Waldons and Borders in Ann Arbor(of course...that's the original Borders;) I remember going there in college!)
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:38 am

What I'm wondering is that the stores have inventory that they can't get rid and coming together for one weekend to unload it.
fluffnstuff
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:01 pm

is the bookstore bringing books to the fair grounds while something else is going on there or is it just the books going to be there like a big giant book flea market?
could be they've got a lot of books that just aren't main stream enough to sell well and need to clear out their back rooms to bring in more inventory!

for me..last night when i was moving stuff for the bookshelf i swept around and as far under the bed as i could get.(the vacuum doesn't work for crap any more so i use a broom)i found a dime that had some how gotten lost at the end of the bed:) )
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:23 pm

Then you got paid to clean last night! It's not much but it's still money. Shame you didn't find a $20 under there......
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:45 pm

The big book sale is in one of the buildings and I think there was something else going on there too. The bookstore mainly brought over books, cd's and movies that they couldn't get rid. There were people that had found enough books, movies etc to fill one cart. My dad and brother also went and I did bring a bag from home in case any one of us found anything to buy. Between the three of us, we found seven books and all of them were $1 each. My brother had a hard time finding one book that he was interested in getting. There were a lot of John Grishom(sp), Danielle Steele, and Tom Clancy books. I did see some Stephen King books and I did get Needful Things and Night Shift. I think that it's books that aren't popular anymore(but the author might be popular) or older books that most people have already read.
fluffnstuff
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:32 pm

ah...at least you weren't outside in the heat looking for your books! i wonder if the folks who had a cart full are going to resell them on ebay or whatever? people do that...we have people do that when we mark video games down cheap. they will come in and just wipe us out cuz they are either going to take them to another store and sell them, are going to sell them on ebay etc or are going to send them to another country to sell.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:02 pm

I know there had to be people who were getting books and what have you for their kids or other family members. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if some of it ends up on ebay or be sold to some second hand bookstore or something.
fluffnstuff
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:49 pm

i did pretty good in the found money today...found 13cents and didn't have to use it for groceries this time:)

didn't get any great bargains at the grocery store today but i changed things i was going to buy saved money that way.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:04 pm

I found my favorite coffee on sale for $3.99 and I had
$2.00 coupon. Very Happy
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:18 pm

wow...that's a great deal! i forgot that the other day i got a little bag of...i think its called Harmony Farms?...dry kitty chow for 99cents after the coupon. i LOVE when the coupons for dry don't have a weight limit on them;)the bag was $2.99 but the coupon was $2 off. It has fish in it so its 'for nobe only' food but every bit helps!
what kinda coffee was it you got the good deal on?
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:27 pm

Community Coffee, it's company based in New
Orleans. I love their dark roast.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:28 pm

i've heard of that...does it have chicory in it?

i found some pennies today so i'm very close to my 9th $ in found money:)

i also found some Cheerios (including the new chocolate ones) on sale 2/$5 and there was a little coupon machine right there next to them so i got them 2/$4....not bad. my cut off price for cereal (except the huge jumbo Osmond Family size box) is $2!
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:33 pm

i'm going to sleep on this...but i think i'm going to start saving myself around $22 a month and cancell my isp. (I found a way to go in and cancel it on the net ...i HOPE its only through the net...and not spending anything for an isp right now will be i can buy the Rescue Kitties a few more cans of wet food every month;) )
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:54 pm

Today we went to Queens Center Mall. I got a shirt for less than $4. In another store at the mall--which always has low prices--I got a pair of pants for $5. I got a whole outfit today for less than $10!
WarriorNY
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 33 1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 33  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum