Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Earth Day 2011

5 posters

Go down

Earth Day 2011 Empty Earth Day 2011

Post by jeanebellini Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:49 pm

i plan on going to the event at Grand Central in NYC....but i've started to wonder what everyone else might be doing?

i think LK and Warrior might be going to Grand Central as well (and we need to get a time and where to meet up etc together;) ).

will you be going to an event? will you walk or ride a bike for the day instead of driving:? maybe planting your garden or a tree or some flowers that day? the actual day is Thurs the 22nd. but in NYC its from Thurs through Sat.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Earth Day 2011 Empty Re: Earth Day 2011

Post by WarriorNY Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:00 pm

I will be at the Grand Central event. It will be my first time going there.
WarriorNY
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:10 pm

Supposed to be very nasty weather for us for Earth Day, and the library is closed too. No events planned near me at all, which is surprising. We had a river cleanup last year that really went over well.
fiffur
fiffur
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:16 pm

warrior its fun... there's a lot of tables of stuff to check out. there's usually a few places giving out snacky things like granola bars, juice, rain forest friendly chocolate and coffee. sometimes other freebies as well ...usually a few places giving out those shopping bags (one place last year you donated like $1 to a cause (I think it was a group that fed the homeless)and got a nice bag)...sometimes other things as well. Last year Marcel (from right here in NJ) gave out a roll of toilet paper;)

there's also going to be a guy there that was there last year that is really cool and interesting....i can't remember his name I think its Micheal something. he created the logos for this juice company and now makes art using different logos and things from boxes. i know it doesn't SOUND interesting but when you see him and his work its really cool. (I'll try to find his website again and put it in here) He gives away print of his work to everyone who does a little piece of art for him (he has the paper and crayons etc there). I bet your sister would really like that:) (last year he even got a little Rescue Kitty in his pile Smile )
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:05 pm

Earth Day Indiana has something planned for Saturday and I signed up to help with tear down/pack up for the vendors.
fluffnstuff
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:19 pm

I'll be at the grand Central thing as well on Saturday. They have booths indoors as well in Vanderbilt Hall. I was going to stop in after work on friday but I need to work late.
I'm not sure what time it starts on Saturday. The filters at the office will not allow me to access the site. Please let me know when you are planning to get there, jeane, And I'll arrange to meet you and probably Warrior too as well.

last year I was going to go to something on Staten Island after the Grand central thing but never got there.

lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:36 pm

its 10am-5pm Sat. i went into the website and poked around a lot last night.
one of the funniest things is that the Travelocitiy Roaming Gnome is going to be there to get your picture taken with:)
i havent' watched the weather to see what its supposed to be like on Sat. I hope no rain...don't care if its hot or cold as long as its dry!
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:40 pm

I'll second on the weather. I have no idea what the weather is predicted here for Saturday and I will be outdoors during my entire shift.
fluffnstuff
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:10 pm

i thought i was going to catch the weather just now but they only showed up til Fri..esh! they said Thur and Fri were supposed to be dry....from that i can't tell if its going to rain or be the same as Thurs and Fri and Sat! I know there are indoor things at Grand Central and that most everyting outside are under little tents but if it rains you get wet going from one to the other! (I don't know what they do with things like this in NYC...one year they had to take all of B'way Cares inside and that was horrible!).
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:30 pm

the forecast on my google page is showing cloudy and 58 deg for Saturday
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:50 pm

last night i saw two different weather reports...the NJ new said rain Sat the NY channel right next to it (which is also the channel that said no snow and we got a foot)said no rain. so i'm thinking maybe NY is going to be a bit different from NJ. I"ll bring my 'garbage bag rain coast' from the $1 store;) and an umbrella either way.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:27 pm

now they are showing possible rain showers, cloudy and in the 50s
what time do you want to meet and where?
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:04 pm

do you want to meet at McDs or at someplace in Grand Central? i can get a bus into the city that gets me there either around 9:00 or 9:30.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:26 am

let's meet at 9:30 at MCDs. we can either breakfast there or get something somewhere else. and take the shuttle over to grand central. Don't worry about the fare. on the shuttle.
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:23 pm

I didn't really like the Grand Central event. I thought it would have been better. I got a big bag of free stuff from the Times Square event.
WarriorNY
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:25 pm

They may have more stuff there tomorroe, Warrior. Unfortunately I had to wortk today so couldn't get to the Times Square event
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:37 pm

i've never been to the times square stuff but there are two or three streets of stuff at Grand Central as well as the stuff inside. i'll try to get some pics tomorrow weather permitting and see if there's more on Sat than earlier.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:43 pm

We got rain for Earth Day. There were some volunteers along the roads and the river, picking up garbage. I saw a Blue Heron fly overhead too! Guess seeing that heron that was my Earth Day surprise, huh?
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:57 pm

ididn't see a thing going on in this town...not even a store giving out reusable bags (the grocery store always seems to do that on a day when i'm not working). it would be nice if every major store would have a bag free day....wish think how much plastic and paper would be saved and how much money it would save the companies??
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:57 pm

the grand central thing was a little disappointing. the inside portion was nothing, the whole Hall was filled last year. Some of the tents were vacant outside, maybe because of the rain. Maybe some of the folks that were there last year decided to do the Times Square thing this year instead. had a good time anyway, palling around with jeane.
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:33 pm

we got a little damp but it was fun:) at the end i went back into the inside stuff....the ladies at the Anvil booth were really intersesting. i got some cheapy cheap (price wise...but nice quality) tees for walking home from work in the summer. And we talked about apps they've set up for making tees and for teachers to use. ( stuff i want to pass onto Marek....esp since their stuff is made in Equador and Nicaragural). OH!! got a realllly good large (as in wide...never had one this wide before) heavy canvas bag from them.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down