Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Look what I found today

+7
jeanebellini
BobCat
fluffnstuff
gbste
bpaquet
Sue Short
Bob
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Look what I found today - Page 2 Empty Re: Look what I found today

Post by fiffur Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:56 am

I can't wait to see video of all these lil sweeties! Had to chuckle at the visual of you standing aside for the kits to accend the ladder to the loft.
fiffur
fiffur
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:10 pm

Make Way for Kittens!! cat study cat

Bob, you do realise you're storing up endless fodder for nearly-wordless illustrated kiddy books here?
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:22 pm

Sad news today I'm afraid. Last Tuesday I went to feed the midden kits and Smokey was missing. I found him crouched alongside a pile of bricks, soaking wet from the rain and weak. I took him into the cubicle house, got a towel from the tack room and dried him off. I put the food down as usual and he tried to get up to the table, got halfway up the ramp and fell on his side and rolled down. I picked him up, checked him for signs of injury (there were none that I could see) and put him next to the food and he started eating it. Next time I went in (about an hour later) he had got down from the table and was crouched on the floor. I picked him up and he snuggled into me and started purring. I thought we had turned a corner but when I went back in another hour later, there was no sign of him at all. I scoured the midden, the barn, the back of the barn and cubicle house and all round the lagoon area, but there was no sign of him.
I checked up in the hayloft as the kits go up there and 'help' their big brothers to eat their dinner. A vain hope as I didn't think he had the strength to get up there. Had to take Beryl back to Liverpool. I told Dave about Smokey and he promised me that he would look for him a bit later. Sent me a text to say that he couldn't see him either.
I suspect that he had been attacked by a fox or badger. He probably got away, but had received some sort of internal damage.
When I got back today only the two black kits came to greet me. I've searched again but there's no sign of the little guy. I fear that we.ve lost the little fellow.
Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:23 pm

I don't know what to say. I'm so sad and sorry.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:15 am

There is an upside to all this (or a downside depending on your outlook and the limited space in the kitchen and conservatory) the two black kits came from the midden, through the farmyard, around the back of the bullpen (no, not the Marvel one) and down the yard and into the conservatory. I was sitting in the kitchen when I got invaded by them.
I took a video of the little blighters checking the place over (which I'll upload to You tube and post a link). The barefaced cheek of them.
Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:58 am

Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:57 pm

ooo soo sweet......was that purring or was that the camera i was hearing?
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:22 pm

I think that was Bob purring, Jeane. tongue They're lovely, Bob, and very sweet. And so is our Pol, a serene and gracious Princess, indeed.

You might end up with a full house this winter; cats, rats, dogs, and who knows who! May you all be very cosy together. Laughing
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:57 pm

Awwwww, those kitties are so cute. I see one was really enamoured by you Bob. I couldn't hear the purring, but I could easily imagine it was loud while that kit was all over that camera vying for your attention. I see Pol is quite accepting and calm around kits, and greeted them like she would a dog. Shame the kit didn't appreciate the gesture much.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:41 pm

Don't know about not accepting the gesture Fif, she rubs noses with Pol at the end. lol
Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:32 pm

They do touch noses! After the proper dog greeting, of course. Rolling Eyes

P.S. Must say I also greatly enjoyed the previous video in the queue of Ms. Muscovy and her fluffy ducklings with featured cameos by Pol and Miss Pippa. Very Happy (If you posted that here before, Bob, I missed it.)
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:15 pm

Suzzzz wrote:They do touch noses! After the proper dog greeting, of course. Rolling Eyes

P.S. Must say I also greatly enjoyed the previous video in the queue of Ms. Muscovy and her fluffy ducklings with featured cameos by Pol and Miss Pippa. Very Happy (If you posted that here before, Bob, I missed it.)

I hadn't posted that one Suzzzz. I think I forgot to in all honesty.
We lost one of Mrs Muscovy's ducklings to a fox, so she is down to five as of yesterday afternoon.

Found several dead partridges too. The result of a shoot on the adjoining fields. The gunmen just blast the birds as they fly overhead and their gundogs collect the ones they can see. Some of the birds are fatally wounded and escape to relative safety, only to die from their wounds.
Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:42 pm

My sympathy's to Mrs. Muscovy............ and whatever family those poor partridges had.

I have a feeling the kit was showing Pol the proper kitty greeting, touching noses.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:37 pm

I don't want to get into the pros and cons of hunting; it's done so many different ways and for so many different reasons all over the globe. But I will say that anyone who hunts merely for "sport" and can't be bothered to track and collect all their game disgusts me. If you want to play with guns, that's what skeets are for. Evil or Very Mad
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:29 am

Agreed. It isn't the gun dogs' fault either. Hunters should be able to count what they've shot and know whether their dogs have found all the birds. Sigh... Poor birdies.

Do you have wild turkeys by you, Bob? We have flocks and flocks of them right now. The kids are almost full grown, so huge birds are taking over the streets and fields.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:56 pm

My sympathies to you, Bob, for the loss of the duckling, Smokey & the partridges! Sad
ARNIgal
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:26 pm

bpaquet wrote:Do you have wild turkeys by you, Bob? We have flocks and flocks of them right now. The kids are almost full grown, so huge birds are taking over the streets and fields.

Turkeys aren't native to England and are usually only found in turkey farms os as with us as pets in small numbers so we don't have them running wild. Nice thought though.
Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:48 pm

As a former bird hunter, I can tell you from experience one of the hardest, if not impossible to do
is to find wounded birds. Still you try, one thing you have to remember that if the bird or whatever you are
hunting winds up on property that is posted no hunting, you have to have the owners permission to go and get it.
If you don't you are not only trespassing but you are poaching. In some parts of the U.S. poaching is a felony.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:07 pm

Perhaps, but at least you tried. Doesn't sound like Bob's "sportsmen" even bothered.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:37 pm

Very true. It's one thing to fail in your efforts. It's quite another to shoot and then turn your back. (grrr)
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:10 pm

I think it's either a different organiser, or they have a new gamekeeper in charge.
In the past I have been asked, very politely, if it would be okay to come onto the property as a couple of birds were seen to drop here. Never a problem, if they found the bird and it was injured they delivered the coup de grace and all was well. In fact, up to three years ago, Helen used to be given a couple of pheasants and a couple of partridges (cleaned and ready to cook) by way of a thank you for letting them do that. She didn't like them so either I or her sister got them. Pheasant in a red wine reduction was delicious.
Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2