Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Puppy Tales!

+3
BobCat
fiffur
Susan A
7 posters

Go down

Puppy Tales! Empty Puppy Tales!

Post by Susan A Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:58 pm

Hello lovely Mutts friends. I emerge from the land of the lost (in my case, South Carolina) to check in and give you a bit of news from here.

Some of you may recall that three years ago (almost exactly) we left suburban Atlanta to come and take care of my husband's aged mother and the family property. At the time I think we envisioned calm country life, but what we found has turned out to be more work than we could have realized. Those among you who have been primary caregivers will completely understand some of what I'm saying. My mother-in-law and I have never been close, and doing the 24-7 while continuing to work full-time (my employer has been generous in allowing me to continue to work remotely) has not been an easy one! I've dropped in here from time to time, but I have always been too rushed or exhausted to fully keep up.

A HUGE bright spot over the last year has been the story of "Smeagol the Beagol!" Last March we found, sitting as pretty as you please, a stray and very pregnant beagle parked in the back yard. We called vets, did signs and asked everybody we knew to ask but were unable to find her people. On April 13, she produced eight very healthy pups!. These babies immediately became a big part of our daily life. Smeagol was a great mom, and she and the pups were an absolute blast! Those of you who have seen my facebook page have seen some of these beauties.

We have a neighbor who coordinates with no-kill shelters in some very nice places up in the northeast, and we do know that 3 of the pups as well as Smeagol were adopted lightning fast from North Country Animal League in Vermont. Roscoe the pup is still with us, and the rest are in the homes of our friends and family. We get to play with the locals every now and then.

Puppy Tales! Smeagolthebeagol
This is Smeagol the Beagol. The vet thinks she was about 2 or 3 and in remarkably good shape. Fortunately she was negative for heartworm. Her demeanor, though friedly, suggested that her previous people may have been a bit rough. She tended to cower a bit. By the time she left us in July, she was over that. We hear that she is doing well in her new forever home Very Happy !

Puppy Tales! Freshpuppy This is the first of the eight pups born on April 13, 2012.

Puppy Tales! Threeweeksold This is one of my favorites. We laugh and say it looks like the frat house lawn on the morning after a kegger!

Puppy Tales! Sayinggoodbye8weeksold Saying goodbye to 3 pups heading north on the puppytrain. Recognize the T-shirt?

Puppy Tales! Sayinggoodbyetoguinness Roscoe, Junebug and Maggie saying goodbye to their brother Guinness the Muinness. They all look so sad, but Guinness lives nearby and gets to come over an play sometimes! Junie also lives with neaby friends, and Maggie now lives near DC with our daughter. Roscoe has become a (mostly) happy house doggie and weighs in at 42 pounds!!

From what we could tell, the pups were a truly mixed lot. Smeagol must have been a very naughty girl before she found us. Three of them appeared to have some black labrador heritage, three were some derivation of black and tan hound, Junie looks most like her mom (though taller) in beagleness, and Roscoe looks pretty definitely like a springer spaniel cross. There is a rural hunting culture around here. The way some folks treat their animals is simply shameful, so there's just no telling what Smeagol's real history was. I have to think, despite the cowering behavior, that she was at least fed, medicated and socialized. She had no problem with us handling her pups and all were born heathly. Part of me wishes that we could have found her people when she wandered up here. My heart of hearts tells me, however, that things worked out for the best. As young as she was, it was clear that this wasn't her first litter. I'd hate to think of what her life with litter after litter would have been.

And the bonus for is us that we have ROSCOE the houndy dog!

Susan A
Susan A
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Puppy Tales! Empty Re: Puppy Tales!

Post by fiffur Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:05 pm

Wow, what a story. Wish I could've seen the pics. From your description those pups were all cute no matter who their daddies were.
fiffur
fiffur
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:22 pm

Beautiful pups! And glad to see you back here too!
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire Flower Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:58 pm

I am so happy Smeagol found you and that she and her puppies all have homes. Very Happy

I loved the pics! So cute!

Fire Flower
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:10 pm

I LOVE her name! The story is absolutely wonderful. I'm glad she found you. Smile
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:12 pm

Glad you are back. Sounds like you've had an exciting hiatus. Hope
everything is calming down.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:38 pm

They are all so cute! Thanks for emailing the pics so I could see. I am very happy they all have good loving homes. Hard to believe that teeny tiny pup by your hand is Roscoe. He sure grew!
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:29 pm

The Kegger Pic was aptly titles. Grats to you to for being brave enough to take care of an in-law who was never really that close. Things between you have hopefully gotten better! Smile
ARNIgal
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:08 pm

Speaking of puppies......my niece adopted a chocolate lab puppy. Named him Gunnar. My lord how he's growing! And such a laidback little soul too, but loads of puppy energy all the same. The tiniest puddle draws him like a magnet. Loves to play in the snow too. I can imagine him now this summer....even bigger and jumping into my sis' hot tub to swim around. Very Happy He's getting this ridge of stiffer, thicker, slightly curly hair down his spine. We think that's his adult coat growing in and he's teething up a storm. Tried to run off with both of my shoes, the little rascal. My sis has been posting a video of him on her facebook page every week, going through Maggies' doggy door. Last week he'd grown just enough that he doesn't fit through it anymore. And he's only about 3 months old.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:06 pm

How funny. Have the puppy and Bijoux meet yet.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:41 pm

Labs and Chessies are some of the best doggies ever! Every one I've ever known has been really laid back and easy to train. They are mouthy as kids though.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:54 am

No, they haven't and it's not likely. Gunnar is NOT a service dog so is not allowed in my mom's building. Plus he's much too big and full of puppy energy to not scare the bejessus out of Bij.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down