Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movie Recommendations

+2
Suzzzz
WarriorNY
6 posters

Go down

Movie Recommendations Empty Movie Recommendations

Post by WarriorNY Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:33 am

After watching three animated stinkers in a row I want to try something different. It seems most other movies out there are gross horror, boring drama or brainless comedy. I won't watch those. What would any of you recommend?
WarriorNY
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Movie Recommendations Empty Re: Movie Recommendations

Post by Suzzzz Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:47 pm

Check out the Movie Reviews topic, Warrior.

I know what you mean, there's a lot of crap out there. I have a friend who got so disgusted with Hollywood she only watches documentaries. That sounded dry as heck to me until I watched a few. They can be as gripping as any drama, and they're about real stuff.

Thing is, one person's crap is another person's gold. What sort of thing are you interested in?
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:25 pm

I am interested in movies that are NOT gross and/or mindless. I want something clever and fun to watch.
WarriorNY
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:09 am

i can come up with some good things i've seen (that might be on dvd at your library) but though they were fun for me you might find them a little slow or dry. There's a couple things in the masterpiece shows ....if you like Sherlock Holmes there's a new version that is just as interesting as the old shows up funny and witty as well.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:42 pm

WarriorNY wrote: clever and fun to watch

So hard to know what your standards are with only this to go on. This could be anything... Dr. Strangelove, Catch Me If You Can, Unconditional Love, or Michael. How about this: what movies can you think of that you DID like? Cool
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:35 pm

Recent movies I liked were Rio and Gnomeo and Juliet. I am trying to find things to watch that are NOT animated. I want to try different things.
WarriorNY
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:30 pm

Seconhand Lions is a great movie. Funny, sad, moving. It's just a great piece of work. Very Happy Eating Eating Eating Eating Eating
Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:08 pm

Bob wrote:Secondhand Lions is a great movie. Funny, sad, moving. It's just a great piece of work. Very Happy Eating Eating Eating Eating Eating

Add my stars to that!! Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

Have you seen Nanny McPhee? (The original, not II) That's fun and pretty danged good, too. Another you might try is Holes, a Disney from 2003. I liked it so much I bought it. Both those have a touch of magic in them, but they're very real in the sense of human interaction. 5 stars for both.

I'll try to think of others.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:16 pm

I loved Secondhand Lions. I may watch that again if I can get it from the
library.
Sue Short
Sue Short
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:27 pm

I haven't seen Nanny McPhee because I don't movies with bratty children. I have not seen Holes either but I read the book that it is based on.
WarriorNY
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:21 pm

Ha! I don't tolerate bratty children, either. And neither does Nanny McPfee. Bwahahahaha!!! Twisted Evil
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:16 am

Holes is terrific, as is the book it's based on. Go get it.
Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:06 pm

We watched "Paul" at Brad's Saturday night. It's live action, with a CGI alien named Paul. Premise: two geeks coming home from the West Coast Comic Con have engine trouble in the desert after dinging up some bad guys nice truck. Thinking the light in the desert is from these guys headlights looking for revenge, they're more than surprised to find an alien talking to them in English. He's on the run from the government after being held hostage for over 60 years, and is now trying to get home. So we're off on a cross country chase with the government guys after Paul and the bad guys after the geeks. A run-in with some very religious people who run an RV park and the woman he met when he first crashed here in 1947 adds to the fun. Some bad language. Overall though, I give it at least Eating Eating Eating
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:08 pm

i'd say go for Holes....even though its disney i enjoyed it;)
as for bratty kids....i think you still might like Nanny McPhee...like suzzz says, she doesn't tolerate bratty kids either;) and its a really good story with a really good ending!

i'm thinking of Tom Hanks movies...i bet there are some of his movies you might like. some early stuff you might find mindless, but i really loved Big (think i saw it in the theater at least half a dozen times...and at that time i had to walk 5 miles each way to get to the movie theater that was showing it!...of course i was MUCH younger then;) ).
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:29 pm

Thanks for the "Paul" review, Fif. I've been wondering about it, and you gave me a much better overview than I've been able to find so far on the webs.

Aww, Big is so good! Warrior, if you haven't seen it, you should.

I'm sure it's a waste of time to say this, but there are a lot of old faves out there that hold up. They've been making movies for 100+ years, and if the old stuff was no good, they wouldn't still be making them. Lots of good stuff out there! If you want a really fun oldie, try Some Like It Hot.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:46 pm

The Money Pit always cracks me up.
Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:57 pm

You can also try War of the Roses too. Couple who are divorcing and they end up trashing everything they have of value......

If you really want to delve into oldie but goodies try some Harold Lloyd movies. Hot Water was a good one. Safety last was a good one too, and has his most memorable scene: him hanging off the face of a huge clock very far off the ground. Most of his are silent movies but he did make a few "talkies". And he did all his own stunts despite having blown off his right thumb, index finger, and half his palm during his second movie. Try to see if you can tell he's wearing a prostetic.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down