Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bingo found a home

+5
fluffnstuff
BobCat
Sue Short
Fire Flower
bpaquet
9 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Bingo found a home - Page 2 Empty Re: Bingo found a home

Post by bpaquet Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:17 am

I've considered a crate. I think he probably has some training from being at the shelter for so long. I will ask on pick up day. I also contacted a trainer so we can work on that skill after things settle for the holidays. We are also thinking about a run for outside time and an invisible fence for bigger run time.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 pm

My brother had an invisible fence for Jake his English Setter and was really happy with
it.
Sue Short
Sue Short
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:18 pm

Here are some pictures from today's walk. Bingo does not like to get wet. We were walking when the rain started. He kept shaking the drops off, and really wanted to go back home. I guess I need to buy him a rain coat. Smile

Bingo found a home - Page 2 IMG_20131222_140752269_zps3e7f2542

Bingo found a home - Page 2 IMG_20131222_140016364_zps8947bd3a

Bingo found a home - Page 2 IMG_20131222_140022668_zpsdc15dd2e

Bingo found a home - Page 2 IMG_20131222_140749951_zps5ed4e5f9
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:23 pm

He's so cute. Poor boy, I think a raincoat is in order.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:29 pm

Yes, and if he's like my late Cocoa used to be about rain.....you'll need an umbrella too...to hold over him.
He is adorable!
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:20 pm

Today's the day. We have a 1:30 appointment to pick up. Then, it's off to the pet store to buy a bed, some chewies, and a harness. If they have rain coats, we'll pick one up. Since it's such a miserable day, he will probably want one. It's too windy to use an umbrella. We have a towel at the back porch door since today starts training to sit and have feet wiped before he comes in. Smile I'm excited!

More later after he comes home.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:46 pm

Can't wait to see how everything goes.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:46 pm

So far, great! He came home and went for a walk to visit the neighbors. Fortunately, the rain had stopped. We stood around and talked for a while, and Bingo just made himself at home sniffing the nieces and nephews over there. We ran into the other neighbors' dog, Molly, on our way home. Molly is a big Saint Bernard. Bingo wanted to sniff, and was very polite. Thank goodness, Molly was polite too even though she did drool a lot.

At home, Bingo was very patient with the kitties who are quite put out by the whole thing. I forgot that dogs sometimes like to snack in the litter box.  Urp Suspect Kilmouski came out to say hi, and Bingo was very quiet with him. He did growl when Mouse wouldn't stop playing with his ears. I can't blame him.

Right now, Bingo is sound asleep on his dog bed, Kilmouski is asleep on my chair, and GK is lying about 1/2 way across the room. The only kitty who is really upset is Gateway. He will probably be fine once he realizes that his brother are not worried at all.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:12 pm

Glad everybody is settling. Sounds like Mouse has learned his bounderies and that Bingo
is a gentlemen.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:28 pm

It's been a long day. Bingo is sleepy, and the kitties are all snuggled down in our bed.

Bingo found a home - Page 2 IMG_20131229_185258222_zps3c869d10
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:09 am

What a handsome boy. I see more than a little fox hound there.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:28 am

Today, he woke up well. We went out to the barn to feed (and to have a doggie pee). He allowed the kitties to eat, and came in calmly for his breakfast. He knows sit, so I make him sit and wait quietly for his food to be put down. I don't like animals that rush their food. He aced that test.  cheers 

He needs to work on keeping himself from putting his paws on people when he's excited. It isn't exactly a jump, but it could turn into one. He's too big for that behavior. He just gets really excited. So, I'm trying to channel that behavior into "down" and "sit." So far, we've made a little progress. We'll see how it goes. So far, he's a joy. Good doggie!
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:01 am

Just keeping working on it. Glad he waits for his food. UGH!! Rushing and pushing for
food is naughty at best. Sounds like his good dog commands are just a bit rusty. He does sound like a joy.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:10 pm

I discovered on our morning walk that he was a hunting dog at one point. The hunters are out for the last days of vacation hunting, and they have their dogs and trucks parked along the roads. We were walking by some trucks with guys hanging around waiting to hear their dogs flus deer. (HATE it, but that's how people hunt here.) Bingo kept trying to leap into the back of all the trucks. He was kind of pulling on the leash to get to some scents. He did mind though, and once we passed the hunt trucks, he was back to his old self.

We're back from first vet visit. He now has a rabies tag and a county license tag. He also has an appointment to start heart worm treatments in a couple weeks. Poor guy still has them, and shows no symptoms. So, he gets preventive today and then starts his treatments on January 17. We expect no bad effects from the treatments since he's otherwise in great health. Smile
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:16 pm

I've bird hunted with dogs and also fox hunted actually it was chased since the the hounds weren't permitted to harm the foxes.  Anyway it's incredible to watch these dogs work when properly handled.  That's good to know that he has that back ground.  

Sorry to hear that he still has heart worms.  Poor guy that can be tough to beat.  Still like you said as long as his health is good there should be no problems.

Last edited by Sue Short on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : speling)
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:43 am

Hunting here is flushing deer. He doesn't like to get his feet wet, so he was probably dumped from a hunt pack. The dogs do work really well together, and are trained well. But, they don't live happy lives. Sad

We had our first accident last night. I let him sleep instead of waking him up for a night time walk. He left us a wake up present. YUCK! Now, we know that he needs that night time stroll.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:35 am

YUCK! Is right. Still these things happen. I know what you're talking about that's why I stopped hunting. I saw how some the 'hunters' treated their dogs.  Sad Mad 
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:39 pm

Sounds like you two are finding your rhythm together fast enough. Pups learn what's expected in a new home the first two weeks...though they can learn more later on too. He's learning the rules of home fast, everyone is settling into a new family dynamic, and without a lot of fireworks. Well done.

Heartworm is tough to beat, the treatments can be quite toxic. I've known a few dogs that went through those treatments....they got sick from the treatment for a little while after each one but in the end it worked and was well worth it. Surprised they let you give him preventative....they usually don't let you do that if they already have heartworms. Not sure why but the vets here won't let you.

(((((((((((GOOD VIBES)))))))))))) for the new year!

Oh, how's Gateway adjusting? Any better with Bingo?
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:09 pm

We went for a LONG walk today. Originally, I had planned to take him to the courthouse area (town), and walk him on the sidewalks. He was terrified because of the traffic. So, we came home and walked down the road. We went about 2 miles. He did very well and didn't get excited or pull on the leash at all.

The vets here explained that the treatment now is to start with an antibiotic (which he got at the shelter). It kills a bacteria that takes advantage of the infected heart. Then, the preventive keeps the baby worms from being able to take hold in the heart. The treatment (arsenic based stuff) kills off the adult worms. The dog remains on preventive the whole time to keep any other worms from taking hold. It's complicated, but most dogs seem to do really well. When he gets his first treatment, he'll spend 4 hours at the vet office just to make sure he doesn't get sick from the shot.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:55 pm

Bingo is a lap dog. (And he weighs 61 pounds!)

Bingo found a home - Page 2 1545805_10201610731288005_471266232_n_zpsc99f2093
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:07 pm

Hi, new friends. I am Bingo. I am having a HAPPY doggy new year. I am going on a walk soon. Happy happy happy! (wag wag wag) I hope all of you have a good year and have lots of chewies and hugs.  Bingo found a home - Page 2 3110174621 
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:03 pm

Welcome to the family Bingo! Looking forward to all the stories of your adventures with your new family. And lots of pics too.  Very Happy 
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:46 am

I spent a while in a horse trailer today. I had never been in one, but this one was warm and had nice hay to sleep on. Mom brought me out for a short walk and it was so cold! I was shivering. I usually stay outside while she cleans up after horses. (Aren't those things nifty?) She says it gives the kitties time to relax. I wish the kitties liked me. I try to be nice and make sniffy faces at them. They puff up and run away. How do I make friends with kitties?
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:44 pm

You gotta learn their language....kitties don't usually sniff each other, especially in the rear. It's considered impolite I think. Try to be gentle, not hyper, and don't bark at them. Give them time, they'll come around. At least Mouski will show them you're a nice dog.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:23 pm

I don't bark. I don't even bark when strange people visit my people. I try wagging and moving very slowly. I'm afraid Mouski told me that I am very big and that the kitties do not understand big unless it's people. I feel a little sad about it. I will try. Since I am a hound dog, I sniff everything. I will have to try to remember that kitties do not like to be sniffed. It will be hard.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next