Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rescue Kitties

+9
fluffnstuff
fiffur
WarriorNY
BobCat
bpaquet
Suzzzz
gbste
Sue Short
jeanebellini
13 posters

Page 3 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next

Go down

Rescue Kitties - Page 3 Empty Re: Rescue Kitties

Post by Sue Short Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:38 pm

Glad to hear that they are being good kitties. Since we are past the danger of a late
frost I'm going to plant a new plant and then plant some more of the seeds in the same
pot. Hopefully this bunch will last longer than the last.
Sue Short
Sue Short
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:56 am

I need to see if my wild plant sowed its own seeds. It usually does, and I've had monster nip every year for about 7 years. I'll be able to tell soon. It's warming up nicely here and we've had decent amounts of rain to make everything green.

Jeane, if you have a fluorescent lamp someplace, you can try giving the nip a dose of that light every day. It isn't perfect, but it might help. I can send you a grow bulb that fits into a regular light fixture. It's hot so don't leave it on when you're not around to watch. Let me know if you'd like it.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:45 pm

well the nip is in a window on the same side of the house as it was in the kitchen window..its just that its down at ground level so i don't kow how much light it gets. its flourescent light is enough then it might be okay cuz they leave the light in the outter area on 24/7 and its florescent. i'm hoping in a couple weeks it will stay warm enough to put it outside. (i don't think it has to be too warm to be okay for nip...probably even 50 is warm enough!)
I've got lavendar seeds i want to grow this year....i've been trying to read about but i don't know what sort of dirt to use..weather reg dirt (which is great for nip) or special planting soil! I know cats can't eat lavendar but it would be nice to have some and make little lavendar bags!
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:59 pm

so far so good for the nip in the window. everyone is staying out of the window and the nip is growing well. i did a big snip yesterday.

been weighing kitties lately...i don't like to do that (cuz it means i have to see how much my fat butt weighs on its own!)but i wanted to see how big salem and toothpick really were. salem is 20 lbs and toothpick is 18 1/2lbs. salem's started to look thin to me so i've weighed him a couple times and he hesn't lost any and is the weight he was before he got sick those years ago. so i guess its just my imagination!
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:13 pm

glad to hear that they are big healthy boys. I like your profile picture.
Interesting shot and can be a hard one to get sometimes.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:01 pm

its salem and franny sitting on the windowsill that is now full of catnip plants in pop bottles. i can't remember if it was a snowy day or just a sunny day. i wasn't trying to get them as a silhoette....black cats and a lot of light just made it that way. i get some interesting shots by accidents. (I made one of my best short films using a reel that i had taken out, put back in and had stuff doiuble exposed and running backwards!

healthy i don't know too much about (wish there was something you could get for ear mites like you get for fleas and ticks..that you just put on the back of the neck and it kills the bugs). i'm keeping my eyes on 'em though.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:21 am

Revolution kills ear mites in addition to fleas and ticks.
gbste
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:31 am

I bet I know who's who in that pic Jeane: Franny is the lil one on the right!
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:00 pm

all you've gotta do is count the ears and you know who salem is;)
wow...i'm going to have to ask andrea to call the vet and see if we can get that Revolution. (I'd still like to get salem up there before he gets anything done but if not,at least that might help everyone down here. )i'm actualy worried about taking salem to the vet cuz its been several years since he had his surgery and i don't want to hear that the cancer is back:( I don't really have a cause to worry...his ears don't smell like they used to. but there's still ear mites and all the yuck from them. and sometime he itches to much he bleeds a bit. (but its no good getting his ears cleaned and then having him come hometo lay with his brothers and sister who have mites as well!)
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:12 pm

I bought some ear mite medicine at PetSmart. I can't remember the name, but it had a yellow label on a white plastic bottle. It is non-prescription and it worked fine. It would be a great idea to have Salem checked out, but you don't have to for ear mites. One bottle is probably enough for all the RKs. Smile
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:27 pm

was it this stuff? http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11147067 R-7Mâ„¢ Ear Mite Treatment for Cats and Dogs
Sounds like it would work well enough Jeane. 4oz bottle should be plenty to treat all the kitties too.

I didn't even think to count ears, thought the bigger one was just facing just so that one ear wasn't in view, I just went on size of kitty to tell who's who. Franny is the smallest of all the rescue kitties, isn't she?
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:47 pm

if its something you have to put in their ears and then wipe out...doesn't work with the kitties. they freak out. i need sometingyou don't have to put in their ears...somethingi can put on the back of their neck or something and then wash all the stuff i can that they sleep on and then probably give them another vial if medicine in another week or month or whatever. i have to give it to all of them at the same time. and doing the drops in the ears and trying to clean it out just gets me ripped up all over my body and only one ear or one cat at a time. (which means the mites just hope from one ear to the other and its a never ending circle).
one kitty...two kitties..probably could do it that way...if i had someone i could work with and would work with me for the amount of days you have th do the ear drops and clean if might work. but one person(even in heavy sweat suit) just can't do it. not with all the Rescue Kitties!
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:53 pm

Bummer! It is drops that go in the ears. I didn't see that you had to wipe it out, but you do have to get the drops in. Neutral
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:24 pm

well the vet on the pet stop today mentioned using Revolution this time of year for not just fleas and tickets but mites as well....so it sounds like something i should get. after this weekend i'll have to ask andrea to call the vet and see if he says its okay. (I know years ago when the fleas hit bad (now i can't even open the windows for fear they'll come through the screens again:( they rbought some stuff from the vet that came in little vials to put on the back of their necks. this was so long ago i had to even put it on Judy! i want to say it was revolution cuz it was a name i had hear of before. I believe it was $80 for enough to give them twice once and then a follow up)i really only need it for four kitties now so it shouldn't be much more than that even with inflation.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:22 pm

That sounds about the same as what I paid for Revolution & that was enough for 3 mos. in my household. Another solution that I thought of was using mineral oil. I remember someone in ARNI using this and its a really vague memory so correct me if I'm wrong and at least ask someone else, preferably a veterinary professional, before trying.
ARNIgal
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:35 pm

I've used Revolution in the past. It works pretty well. I didn't know it treated mites though. Cool. I am having to rotate flea treatments here. I use Purrscriptions from PetSmart, followed by Revolution, and then Advantage. Sometimes I use Frontline, but it only works at particular times of year. Weird. All the treatments from the vet are similar price. The Purrscription stuff is $15 for 3 vials and it's worked almost as well on fleas. I don't know if it works on mites. Might be worth checking.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:08 am

Yup...Revolution is WONDERFUL & I'll vouch for its efficacy in treating mites Like a Star @ heaven
ARNIgal
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:50 pm

You have to put the mineral oil in the ear too, it smothers them so they die. Don't know if it does the same thing to the mites's eggs or not.

Revolution sounds like a good start. But you might want to consider the ear drops too, to get a jump start on getting rid of them all. Even if all you get is one ear per kitty, you can get the other ear in a few days and really put a dent in the mite population.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:09 pm

The good thing about Revolution is that it kills mites at all life stages. Sometimes you will need to clean out the ears in addition to using Revolution if there's a lot of mite gunk in there. My vet says that Frontline and Advantage kill mites too, but the companies have not done product testing for that, so vets can't use those products for ear mites at this time. In my experience, mitacide eardrops do nothing against mites. Mineral oil does work, but it's messy and you have to keep using it every day for some time. We use a really good ear cleaner at our place, but I don't remember the name of it right this minute.
gbste
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:13 pm

i think after this month..or at least after this weekend i';ll see what i can do. its hard to talk to the people upstaires....i mean, they're just a few yards away but its easier to email than to actually talk to them. every time i go up there and try to talk they're either on the phone, busy or the dogs start barking.

i don't want to do anything with the kitties right now anyway...for the past few days they've been off their food and for a couple days have been throwing up. first it was a couple, then it was a couple others but all in all they all seem to have been throwing up sometime during the day which scares me. jnust remindsme of Buddy and i can't go through that with all the cats at once!
BUT i've cut out all wet food for today and have put out only purina one urinary tract formula by itself or a little of the indoor friskies by itself. the indoor stuff in their 'treat' i guess. so far nobody has thrown up since toothpicky did a little of the wet stuff (i gave some this morning right after i woke up to see if Salem would eat it ..he just licked off some of the gravy)and water. so nothing for around 9hrs. i'm keeping a careful watch on everyone right now.
i don't think they could get whatever i've had going on with me (though the noises my stomach makes sometimes freak them out if they'r sitting really close)but you never know.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:54 am

Poor kitties! I hope it's just a 24 hour thing. Could a can of food have gone bad somehow?
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:50 pm

no i started looking at the expiration dates to make sure its okay and i can't see anything wrong with the dry or the wet food.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:07 pm

(((((((((((((HEALING VIBES)))))))))) for the Rescue Kitties
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:39 pm

so far no gacking or barfing for the last two days...at least not that i've found or heard. they had two different cans last night...one holistic turkey/chicken pate which they ate right now..the next was merrick's grandma's pot pie which they barely licked the juice on,. tonight i gave them two containers of wiskas filet mignon...man that smelt good! i almost took a taste myself! they licked that up really well. but i think there's fishy stuff in it so they won't get it often.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:39 pm

Jeane, just read your last post and had to laugh. When I was married in the 80's I would in case of
emergency open a can Dinty Moore's Beef Stew and add some red wine to it. So one night I'm opening
a can of cat food that is some kind of stew and Makr(my ex) goes you that smells like tinned stew. I haven't
looked at since.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next