Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Injured kitten

+8
lovekitties
WarriorNY
ARNIgal
Bob
bpaquet
Suzzzz
Sue Short
gbste
12 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Injured kitten Empty Injured kitten

Post by gbste Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:32 pm

I have to go by one of the vetrinarians after school. I found out by email that one of the ACOs picked up a kitten with a leg injury--the skin on his back leg had been pulled away from the muscle. Sounds like he was up in someone's car engine. Sooo--I only went 2 days without foster kittens in the bathroom. I'll have to set everything up for him so that he can move around without hurting his leg. I don't know if he even still has the leg. Poor little poody!
gbste
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Injured kitten Empty Re: Injured kitten

Post by Sue Short Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:00 pm

((((((((((((((HEALING VIBES))))))) for Little Poody.

laughing at the thought of you having an empty bathroom.
Sue Short
Sue Short
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:42 pm

I got the kitten home safe and sound. She's about 8 weeks old, mostly white, calico. The ACO didn't get her into the vet's until just a few minutes before I picked her up, which meant she sat in a cage at the dog pound all day with that injury! Oh well, at least they didn't just put her down, which is their usual practice for injured animals.

She has a big cut up most of the inside of her left rear leg that extends across part of her tummy. This just involved the skin, and she has that stitched up. The fur on the inside of her other leg has been rubbed off, and she has bruises on her tummy and right leg. The doc said she would wake up in 20 minutes, but it took more than an hour. She's groggy now, but awake at least. The vet gave me amoxi drops for her, but no pain meds, so she'll probably be very uncomfortable for several days at least. They said she could eat late this evening if she wants to. Holding a good thought for this baby. It should be a big improvement from here on out.
gbste
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:54 pm

Holding VERY good thoughts for the poor baby. Weezer had a similar injury once after a run-in with Mean Kitty, a clean slice all the way up the outside of one back leg that peeled her skin back but didn't cut the muscle. She healed remarkably well so I'm hopeful for your kit. Odd they didn't give you pain meds; did they say why? Poor little thing! Please keep us posted on her.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:59 pm

They said the anesthesia would be all she needed. Of course, that is wearing off, and I would think that injury would be painful for several days, at least. We'll keep her quiet and see how it goes.
gbste
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:14 pm

More ((((((((((HEALING VIBES)))))))) for Little Poody. Hopefully she won't be too uncomfortable
tonight.

While I'm thinking of it a (((((((((GOOD NIGHTS REST VIBES)))))))) for everybody.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:27 pm

Hugs for the little sweetie. It sounds like she'll be just fine with the good care we know you'll give her, gbste.

My vet tries to avoid pain meds because sometimes it's good for them to be a bit uncomfortable so they don't move around too much. If you take too much of the edge off, they can take longer to heal. But, it still is tough to think of them being in pain. You might try some Rescue Remedy just to make her feel better in general.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:42 pm

Rescue Remedy is a good idea. I'll put some in her water when I set that up for her. Right now she's still resting in the cat carrier. I am checking on her frequently to change out the paper towels she's sitting on (the wound is draining) and put hot water into the bottles under her folded up sweatshirt. She lets me handle her, but I don't want to do that too much. She's cold, and needs the hot water bottles right now. When she wakes up a little more, I'll open up the crate and set up a litterbox and a food and water dish.
gbste
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:44 pm

Well so much for getting an empty bathroom for a while, but it's in a good cause. It's amazing how resilient animals are, even at that age. If the little critter is resting and not trying to get at the wound it's got to be a good sign.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((Healing thoughts)))))))))))))))))))))))))) from this side of the pond from me and my two little Comet Rangers (Shadow and Phantom).
Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:50 am

What an big injury for such a small one. affraid I agree with what bpaquet said about the meds! {{{Healing prayers and vibes from Flint}}}
ARNIgal
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:11 am

Poor baby...but she is so lucky to have found someone who can give her the help she needs.
WarriorNY
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:21 am

The kitten has an abrasion on her private parts, and she is "leaking," so she's got a stack of soft paper towels on her bed that we change often. So far she hasn't eaten anything. I gave her a dropper full of water after she got her Amoxi drops this morning. If she hasn't eaten by the time school is out, I will mix up some kitten formula and get some of that down her. She will need the nutrition to help her heal. She is fully awake, and moves around in her bed, and has enough gumption to hiss at me as I fix up her bed and hot water bottles, so she's improving. She may be a feral kitten, or she may just be scared and hurting.
gbste
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:37 pm

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{good luck and healing vibes for little Poody}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:38 pm

Poor Little Poody.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:52 pm

Poor lil babe: scared, hurting, confused.....no wonder she's hissing at everyone and everything. I think I'd be checking with the vet about her not eating, the urine leakage, and lack of pain meds. If she were human you can bet she'd be popping pain pills for an injury that big. She might be feral, but from your description still young enough to tame. (((((((((((((((((((((STRONG HEALING VIBES)))))))))))))))))))))))

Bless you for giving up your empty bathroom. Bet it felt strange to have it empty for two whole days, huh?
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:30 pm

Poor little girl. How humiliating to be injured THERE. I'd bet that's part of the hissing. I hope she decides to eat and get well quickly. ((())) for baby Poody. (I think she has a name!)
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:32 pm

Thinking of you both tonight. How's our baby?
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:05 pm

She's more alert, but she doesn't want to leave her carrier safety nest. Food, water, and litterbox went untouched all day. Kevin kept her clean and changed out the paper towels on her bed while I was at work. She's still leaking bloody urine. I'm afraid that her tail may be paralyzed, and that can cause incontinence in kitties. Still, with all the abrasions in that area, and with swelling still a problem, I'm hoping that she'll regain use of her tail and control over her bodily functions. I've put some Vetricyn on her wounds, and they look much better today.

I gave her some kitten formula this afternoon, and will give her some more later tonight. She'll need some nutrition to help her heal. She's fearful and sore still, so I'm trying to strike a balance between letting her hide where she feels comfortable and giving her the attention she needs to get well.
gbste
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:50 pm

Well Little Poody is in great hands.

((((((((((((MORE HEALING VIBES)))))))))))
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:29 pm

If the swelling goes down it may reduce the pressure on her nerves so the tail will work again. Could that also be why she isn't moving around much, could it be affecting her back legs too? Poor lil Poody......when does she go back for a recheck at the vet's?

((((((((((((((((((((((((((strong healing vibes))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) Poody can use all she can get.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:56 pm

She won't go in for a check for at least another week unless she develops an infection or other complication. We are keeping her clean and comfortable as possible. I've done some research on "dead tail," and the concensus seems to be to wait for several weeks before doing anything drastic with the tail in case swelling is what is causing the problem, so I have no problem waiting. I spoke with the vet by phone to see if she should have anti inflammatory meds, but they said no, so we'll just have to be patient there.

She ate on her own this morning, and had some Fancy Feast as well as some kitten formula, so she's feeling a little better. She had trouble passing a stool last night, and I had to gently pull it out for her (using a wet wipe--I can be pretty "girly"). It was mostly made up of grass and small twigs, so that can't be comfortable to work through a kitty's digestive tract!

I'm really wishing for healing in her tail. If she turns out to be incontinent, that will seriously hurt her chances at finding her own home. If anyone wants to send out more "healing vibes," this little girl can surely use them.
gbste
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:39 pm

That's a good sign. Sounds like she was starving if twigs and grass were in her system.
I understand the ***ahem** girly thing.

(((((((((((MORE HEALING VIBES))))))))))))
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:57 pm

I got home today to find that she had eaten all the kibble I left her, and that although she's still making messes in her carrier, she got into her litterbox and successfully used it twice, so that's a hopeful sign. She ate her dinner right up too.
gbste
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:11 pm

That sounds VERY hopeful. She knows what a litterbox is for and using it when she can. Eating real food instead of twigs (!) should help her feel better.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:11 pm

Great improvements! I bet she had quite a tummy ache from all that junk in there. She probably feels a LOT better now that it's worked its way out. cheers

Gateway just climbed up and gave a big paws up. I guess he is cheering our little Poody on. You go, girl!
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next