Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Horse racing and other things equine

+4
fluffnstuff
gbste
bpaquet
Sue Short
8 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Horse racing and other things equine - Page 3 Empty Re: Horse racing and other things equine

Post by Sue Short Mon May 19, 2014 10:59 pm

Very Happy Yeah and A &M did a study years ago that said they were worthless.
Sue Short
Sue Short
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Horse racing and other things equine - Page 3 Empty Re: Horse racing and other things equine

Post by bpaquet Tue May 20, 2014 10:18 pm

Hey... If they make the horse and jockey happy, so be it.  Laughing 
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Tue May 20, 2014 11:03 pm

Becky, in the end that's all that counts.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:10 pm

Well the Belmont was an incredible race. I'm sorry California Chrome lost but it was a great race. It's interesting that the Times ran an article either Thursday or Friday noting that on paper there were four horses in the field that on paper could beat him. Look them up and one of the four horses that they mentioned beat him. The other was Wicked Strong. Still great race, Art Sherman is a class act. That one owner needs to sit down and shut up.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:08 pm

What a sore loser he was! Shoot, he had to know that there were going to be other horses there that hadn't run in all three legs of the Triple Crown.
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:17 pm

Horse racing is like life at times. It's not fair.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:28 pm

Did you see the story about Chrome's injury coming out of the gate? Nothing too awful, but it definitely might have made all the difference. Ouch!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/horseracing/2014/06/07/california-chrome-sustains-gash-to-foot/10188807/
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:50 pm

I did, I think they are making more of it than what it is. It has to really hurt but horses do that and still win. I'm not knocking his heart, he has a big one but on that date and at that time someone else had the better horse.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:13 pm

True enough, but it still hurts. I think he showed how much heart he has by running and finishing with the hurt hoof. And, now he has the life of Riley for a horse. Think of it... He gets to retire to the breeding shed. Not a bad life for a backyard horse. Smile
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:34 pm

No not a bad life at all. I hope they don't retire him, that would add insult to injury of the bad sportsmanship on part of one of the owners. The only thing worse than retiring him would be sending him to another trainer. Art Sherman has earned this Big Horse.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:04 pm

Yes. He should definitely stay with his trainer, but I like to see horses retire while they're still sound and well. It hurts my heart when horses are raced until they break down. It's a hard life even for the top racers.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:00 pm

I agree on all counts Becky. He's still sound and can and should be brought back for the fall races.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:20 pm

I always want the racers to become riding horses. Smile
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sat May 02, 2015 11:49 pm

I spent a good chuck of this weekend watching horse racing. It's Derby weekend. So damn good races. The sport is still a mess.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sat May 02, 2015 11:53 pm

It wasn't a really exciting Derby, was it. Good race, but not a nail biter. I was rooting for Carpe Diem since she has such a cool name. Oh well...
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sun May 03, 2015 12:10 am

I had American Pharoah, thanks to him I came out a little a head. And your right it wasn't exciting and the fractions were so slow a buggy horse could have had the lead.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire Flower Sun May 03, 2015 9:12 am

If I was a gambler I woud have bet on American Pharaoh just beacuse if his name. I would have won! Very Happy

Fire Flower
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sun May 03, 2015 9:25 am

Yeah... I pretty knew that the favorite would win. Carpe Diem had press before the race, but not much of a chance. I think she took off at 7-1. But, whether or not she won, her name is still great. Smile
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:42 pm

Well children we now have a Triple Crown winner. I was not quite twenty eight when Affirmed won. Do the math at your peril. It was a great race and American Pharoah won by five and half lengths in 2:26 and some change. Secretariat's was 2:24 and some change and the distance 31 lengths. I hope they rest him and bring him back for Saratoga and then the Breeder's Cup.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:38 pm

Cool.....it's been a long time since I saw a Triple Crown winner! I remember Affirmed too BTW.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:46 pm

It's SO exciting. Smile It was a very good race. I just kept remarking on how GREAT his stride is. His angles are almost as good as Secretariat's. He is rhythmic and relaxed. Heck! He was barely sweating when he finished the race. Great horse.

I heard that they do plan to let him finish the season and then go to stud. I just hope they bring in some of the less well represented blood so we can build stronger, sturdier TBs. Here's our chance!
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:25 pm

I was hoping he would race at four. But the Irish want their investment safe and sound in the breeding shed. He came the last the quarter faster than Secretariat's. Secretariat's came the last quarter in :25 and American Pharoah's was 24:68. You're right what an incredible stride.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:38 pm

Poetry in motion........beautiful horse. Very Happy
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:55 pm

I thought I would bring this topic up. The Keeneland fall meet is cranking up followed by the Breeders Cup. American Pharoh is supposed to run the the Classic. He was beaten in the Travers, he ran a good race but someone else had the better horse that day. Some great races coming up and worth paying attention too.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:20 pm

LIKE! Hopefully, it'll be on TV here. I guess I can stream if it's free.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next