Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kittens in a bag

+4
ARNIgal
fiffur
bpaquet
gbste
8 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Kittens in a bag Empty Kittens in a bag

Post by gbste Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:02 pm

I put my Coffee Cup Kitties on the van on Saturday. They went to the petfair, did not get adopted, and were transferred to Look What the Cat Brought In. However, as we were loading animals onto the van, one of our volunteers told me that a local vet had some orphan kittens, so after they opened, I went over to see what the story was. Turns out that on Thursday morning, they had found 3 kittens that had been tied up in a plastic bag and left next to their dumpster. They brought the kittens in, but for some reason they had been giving them 2 percent milk in a little dish. I decided to take these kittens home as soon as I saw them. They are too young to eat from a dish yet, and who gives kittens 2 percent milk anyway? I bought them some formula and some kitten food, and got them started on the bottle. They are "swimmer kittens;" their rear legs are splayed out sideways. After getting them situated, I heard from the woman who runs LWTCBI. She had a litter of very young kittens, and she was worried about the smallest 2. She asked me if I would bottle feed these 2 kittens, and I couldn't really tell her no after all the cats she's taken from us here. So now I have 5 kittens to care for. The LWTCBI kittens seem more mature, though they are physically smaller than the "swimmers." That may be because of the mobility issues, though. Everyone is eating well, the 2 little kittens are teaching their foster sibs to eat from a dish, and my swimmers are starting to get their rear feet underneath them. Life goes on.
gbste
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Kittens in a bag Empty Re: Kittens in a bag

Post by bpaquet Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:25 pm

Somebody put kittens in a bag??? Evil or Very Mad No Horrible. Thank you SO much for taking these little ones in. It's good to hear they're (literally) getting back on their feet.

I'm sure the Coffee Cup gang will find their perfect peoples. They've come so far already.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:15 pm

I am so grateful you took all those lil kittens in. BLESS YOU! I know bottlefeeding a litter is a LOT of work (and a lot less sleep!) but well worth it in the end. I have no doubt they'd do well and be very well adjusted people loving kits.

Whoever put those kits in a plastic bag near the dumpster should be in one themselves, and actually go for a ride in the garbage truck. Who on earth could put innocent tiny babes in a bag and throw them away? Evil or Very Mad

I'm also sure the coffee cup kits will find the purrfect homes soon enough.
fiffur
fiffur
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:48 pm

The kittens are starting to eat out of a dish, so that makes things a little easier. The 2 I got from LWTCBI are very fond of soggy kitten food. The little bag kittens are more delayed, but they take a bottle better than any other foster kittens I've had. The 2 LWTCBI kittens also are good litterbox users. The others are a work in progress there. I'm hoping that as their mobility issues clear up they'll be able to climb into and out of the litterbox more easily. One of them walks really well now, though he's a little shakey on slippery surfaces. The other 2 are getting along well on rugs, but they can't handle the tile floors yet. One in particular has to be cleaned up a lot, because he can't really squat to do his business yet.
gbste
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:05 pm

Well, kittens in a bag is a bit more understandable since some people out there have always been idiots! confused What is confusing though, is the staff at a VET'S office giving kittens MILK?!! confused confused Of all the people who should know better...!!
ARNIgal
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:57 pm

I'm with you Arni about people being IDIOTS, but the vet clinic feeding milk well is
confused confused
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:46 pm

That people in a vet's office would try to give suckling kits 2% milk in a dish is just beyond comprehension.

All your charges sound like they're responding beautifully, Arn. Loved the report! And you are such an angel!!!

All best wishes & vibes to the Coffee clutch! They've had the best start they could ever hope for, given their circs, and I pray they find their forever homes soon. I love you
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:50 am

I would've thought folks working at a vet's office would KNOW to use KMR milk replacer.....most vets carry the bottlefeeding kits and the milk for sale. I know ours' have those things right in the waiting room. Only reason I can see for them using 2% is IF they were out of KMR and that was the only milk they had available.

Sounds like your lil kits are doing very well BTW. Any pics for us to see of them?
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:07 pm

The 2 little kittens from LWTCBI were doing poorly yesterday. They wouldn't eat, and had loose stools. I gave them some Nutrical, made them eat some formula, and gave them some kitten version of Pedialyte, and they're doing much better today, although I'm keeping with the fluids and formula. No pics yet, but I'll try for some in the next few days.
gbste
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:44 pm

They're probably reacting to the diet change. Sounds like they'll come through it ok. You're such a good nurse. I love you
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:04 pm

The little tuxie kitten with the Groucho Marx 'stache had bloody stools this evening, so I will try to get her in to see a vet tomorrow. Actually, if I can get an appointment for everyone, that may be a good idea.
gbste
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:39 pm

pale That's scary "G".
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:34 am

The kittens are hanging in there. All but the little 'stache girl have robust appetites. She eats a little mushy kitten food, and I make her swallow some formula, plus a little Nutrical, plus the kitten Pedialyte. I'm hoping to get them in to see a doc after school today.
gbste
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:47 am

Might be more than diet change at work here, have the vet check for giardia if he doesn't suggest it himself (it's a protazoa-type germ). A lot of kits get that and it causes loose stools, bloody stools, and poor appetite. Meds clear it up pretty fast though. Sounds like you've got things well in hand though until they see the vet. Just give her extra feedings to get enough into her.

(((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))) for all the kits.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:15 pm

The vet wormed the kittens, and sent some antibiotics home. She said to get them eating solid food, but the swimmer kittens have tiny little teeth, and are totally clueless about the food dish. The little LWTCBI kittens are doing pretty well on the kitten food mush, although they end up wearing almost as much as they eat. I put a little human chicken and gravy baby food in the kitten food and in the formula. I don't want to switch their food too quickly. Jennifer from LWTCBI is sending me some meds for coccidia in case they have that. Today, everyone is eating and active. I'm going in to do the morning litterbox scoop, so we'll see the state of things there soon.
gbste
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:01 pm

That means Stasche girl is doing well too?
ARNIgal
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:48 am

Great news gbste. It sounds like everyone is progressing. I hope they start figuring out eating real food. It's such a mess when they get it all over themselves. (But it's a cute mess.) I always see the picture of me as a little kid with a chocolate pudding spoon in my hand and pudding all over myself! Laughing
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:39 am

I remember cleaning up lil kits who hadn't learned to eat from a dish yet......so messy but yes so cute too. Very Happy
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:38 pm

All the kittens are doing much better. Charlize, the 'stache girl, ate food from a dish like a pro. So did her orange brother, and one of the swimmers (the medium furry one) gave it a try too. Charlize chewed the tops off two nipples yesterday, so I have to get new ones if I can. Here are pics of the crew. Fiffur, I'll email the pics to you.

Kittens in a bag 005_6410
Charlize

Kittens in a bag 003_6410
Charlize's brother

Kittens in a bag 009_6410
Furriest "swimmer"

Kittens in a bag 008_6410
Short hair "swimmer"
Medium furry "swimmer"

Kittens in a bag 011_6410
gbste
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire Flower Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:11 pm

Cute! Smitten

Fire Flower
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:18 pm

Too Precious. Like a Star @ heaven I love you
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:29 pm

They are adorable! Look at that 'stache!!

Puleeeze start brushing that furry swimmer now, gbste, so he'll allow it later in life! I'm on a mission against mats. Evil or Very Mad
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:33 pm

Very Happy I just looked real close at the stache and he/she is either Charlie Chaplin or
Groucho Marx.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:00 pm

The extra furry kitten gets a good go over w/ a flea comb once or twice a day. No fleas, but it's the right size for this kitty. The others get a comb out daily too. They also get a wipe down w/ a wash cloth after each meal. Here's why:
Kittens in a bag 012_6411
gbste
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:03 pm

I've seen some sloppy eaters in my time but that well that definetly takes the
cat food for sure.
Sue Short
Sue Short