Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new...temporary....kitty

+6
fiffur
WarriorNY
bpaquet
Suzzzz
Sue Short
jeanebellini
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

new...temporary....kitty - Page 2 Empty Re: new...temporary....kitty

Post by Suzzzz Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:31 pm

Just adding that whenever Weezer has a vet procedure and comes home on pain meds & the new one-shot antibiotic, her poo is unbelievably stinky for several days. A 5am cat poop will wake up the whole house. Shocked The stink might be a result of the snip. Hopefully it will mellow out soon.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by gbste Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:51 am

If the stinky poopers will eat a little plain yogurt, it will improve things considerably. Of course, one of the worst offenders here won't eat yogurt, and he doesn't bury his poo either--leaves it on top to share the essences.
gbste
gbste
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:02 pm

My parents know all about stinky poo. There have been times I have started to gag and immediately left the room because of a cat who just pooed. With Pugsley, his stinky poo is mostly likely a result of his diet of canned food.
fluffnstuff
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:31 pm

Found Kitty at least covers up;) the Rescue Kitties were never taught to cover i guess...or at least never knew the proper way (or maybe need a HUGE litter box)Nobe never makes an attempt but some of Judy's kids will scratch and scratch but never inside the box! (if there's a blanket over something next to the box the blanket will wind up inside the poop box..if there's a cardboard box nearby it will get shredded but the poop stays in place). At least they try;)
i think he's doing better though. BUT i'd like to be able to get him out of the little cage/crate set up and let him walk around a bit and get some lovin'.
I started to feel bad cuz someone from Alley Act Allies who sends me stuff about cats who need help sent one about a cat that needs help because its in a cage for 23 hr a day. Poor Found Kitty is in that cage/crate set up 24 hrs a day! he has room to move around but its kinda like one of us having to live in a ..i don't know...a walk in closet?
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:48 pm

Yeah a cell in the Tower of London. By the way alpha cats don't cover their
poo. Still I know what y'all are talking about.
Sue Short
Sue Short
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:12 pm

well...at least he can see out ..he has the part where he sleeps in the crate and the food and little and a space big enough to stand in the cagey part. the light and the tv are always on in that room(though i really thing a very low classical radio station would be better than the tv and just a nightlight at night. (I was thinking today about how Paulie for years, when she lived in the laundry room (it was her own choice though!) that the only light she had was the florescent and that it was on 24/7.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:26 pm

My kitties get the classical station on while we are gone. It seems to keep them happy. I used that for Sabi when he was penned up in the barn too. Very soothing. Light is another thing... I am not sure what kitties prefer. Sunlight, of course, would be ideal, but sometimes it's not practical. Question
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:49 pm

I think lil kitty's poo smell will improve when his lil system gets used to the food he's eating. I know food quality has a lot to do with the stink, the better the food the less smell and "litterbox presents" you'll get since they'd be digesting more of it than if they eat the cheap stuff.

Did you post pics of the lil kitty? I didn't see any.............
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:05 pm

did you ask upstairs if the tests came back okay? If they are taking him to fairs and stuff I would hope that the test results are in and he is okay
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:04 pm

the rescue group is taking him to the pet fairs so i figure they know what they're doing. nobody has told me his reports have come back but its been 5 days since he got snipped. if i don't get time with him by Thurs i hope to be able to do it on Thurs and Fri since i'm off when again.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:49 pm

i think i mentioned somewhere in here that the folks upstairs got a new house for nobe but they're using it for little found kitty until he gets a home., they had initially put it about 3' from the door to the room Ms Puff is in. it was in an area where they could see him every time they walked back and forth from where they spend most of their time to the kitchen,bathroom etc. I don't know what happened but it didn't last a day in that area. he's back to his place in the livingroom again but in a bigger cage.
last night i went up to talk to him and he didn't do his usual thing where he rubbed on my hand and licked my fingers. ever since he got here he's been a real kissy kitty but not last night. BUT he was very interested in a set of taillights of a car as it went past.
he's at another adoption this today so we'll see what happens. i have someone who would probably take him but as i mentioned elsewhere,i don't know what the rules are with the rescue group to has been taking him to these things.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:23 pm

Maybe he was just too tired from going to the pet fair to be very kissy.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:22 pm

All the traveling to/from the adoption places is probably tiring him out. That might be why he wasn't at his best at that one fair. Kitties do so well with routine. I hope he finds one and gets to be somebody's forever kitty soon.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:06 pm

Yes, a little lover like him shouldn't be in a cage all the time, he should be sitting on someone's lap or being held in their arms.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:56 am

Any word from the adoption people?
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:55 pm

i thought i'd put in here but i guess it was somewhere else in the forum...i went up to the other day to say i might have a place for him (after being caught with the little door open and my hand in the cage petting him...never have taken him out and held him not for one second and that was the only time i've ever gotten my hand in and actually petted him) and was informed that the whatever it is rescue (they don't know the name of it, don't know if he's listed on Petfinder (cuz i've been looking in there so i could let you guys know so you could see a better pic of him than i'm allowed to take) had a woman they were doing their background stuff...that they have to go through a 'vetting' (what the freakin name of critterdom is THAT?...was informed that the person had to do through a search through the person's vet that they were qualified to have a cat!). esh.... i let the person who had told me they might want him to forget about it.
But i asked....what if the person never has had an animal before so they never had a vet to go to??? got no answer... i guess it means that if you've never had a pet according to some rescues you're not allowed to save a critter! i can see where they'd like to know about the person and where the animal is going but that's no helping the kitty ...and remember Found Kitty is being taken to these events by the same woman who had the fire and all those poor animals died because they were in cages.
Gawd or Gawd....i pray someday i somehow can have a little house with a little yard and someone to help take to the vet and i can actualy help on my own.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:16 pm

I can't see why that rescue won't let a person who's never had a cat before have one, if they're a good person with a decent home and a vet lined up for future care. Everyone has to start somewhere.

How is Found Kitty? Did he purr for you when you petted him?
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:15 pm

The rationale behind the vet reference is to make an attemp to find people who realize that pets are imperfect living beings rather than inamiate objets d'art. This type of reference weeds out the mommies and daddies who want to adopt a pet solely to "teach their children responsibility".

That said I do realize there are people out there that have never owned a pet that would be wonderful pet owners Smile I just haven't come up with a better way to pull them out from the crowd...
ARNIgal
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:59 am

I think I would ask for a plan for ownership. Something like lining up a first vet appointment x days after adoption, follow up care, emergency plan. If a person thinks that far ahead, they obviously know that animals need things other than children to keep them healthy and happy. I also think I would reserve the right to request proof of first and follow-up vet visits.

(The mommies and daddies who get their kids pets for a responsibility gig really get on my nerves.)
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:08 pm

My mom always told us "you want it, YOU have to take care of it properly" and she made sure we did. Good learning experience........my sis and I are great pet parents!
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:43 pm

You may be a responsible pet parent, Fif, but there are too many kids out there who "have to have a dog, cat, hamster etc" and promise to take the responsibility for it, and too many parents who give in to them, or think it's a wonderful idea, and then when the kids lose interest, and the parents don't want the responsibility either, the pet is sent back to the shelter, neglected or worse, abused or just thrown out to fend for themselves.
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:01 pm

becky you really have a good idea there. the problem (at least here in NJ) is that most of the rescue groups are very very political and almost like hoarders in that they'd rather keep the poor cats in cages in their houses (garages? whatever they put them) than give the poor kitty to someone they don't deem 100% perfect. (its one reason i don't like the group i used to raise money for....too much freakin politics and they turned all the Rescue Kitties away).

as for the parents who get their whining child a critter because the kids wants it....gawd...its the season for bunnies and chicks. so many die from being mishandled, are deformed because they aren't fed correctly or left in the tiny cage etc....and worse, bunnies are thrown out in the yard to go wild(where hawks and dogs and even feral cats have them for dinner).

a little story from work.... a grandmother was in buying a remote control snake for her 3yr old grandson. she said she was buying it and he'd probably not want it cuz he was demanding a python! yeah..python. I suggested when he was maybe 6 or 8 if he was still interested in snakes to try starting him off with a garter (or i believe corn? i think corn snakes are about the same size as a garter snake) but she said the kid was throwing fits until someone bought him a python.
esh...
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:21 pm

If the stupid parents give in to a tantrum throwing 3 year old and give him a python I bet it wouldn't be long before we saw in the papers the "tragic story about the pet python who wrapped itself around the toddlers neck and killed him"
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:28 pm

That poor snake... Sad If that were my son, I'd let him get the python, but only thouroughly researching the snakes and starting off small as jeane suggested. @bpaquet, that was the line of questioning we would give to people that did not put a vet on their adoption applications. I did, however turn adopters down if the first thing out of the adult's mouth was the responsibility bit. My landlords at the time knowingly let me go over the apartment's pet limit & I couldn't handle a returned pet that was terrorized by a child. We at ARNI had a noticeable amount of pets returned in that condition. Towards the end of my time in Lansing, I was answering the phone for ARNI, I had to tell a couple people we couldn't even take our own pets back since there were only 2 very full foster homes left. This still makes my heart bleed... confused

Lovekitties...I was thinking the same thing Twisted Evil
ARNIgal
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:01 pm

if only the kids didn't rule the world in this part of NJ....i think its only this part of the state...i HOPE its only this part of the state. I've heard 2 yr olds screaming at their mothers and grandmothers that they had to leave or that they coudldn't buy something (not something for the kid but something they were buying for a present or something). i swear the words are directly fromt he father and the kid is a recorder spewing themback. but here the kids rule..whether they're 2 yrs old or 22 yrs old!
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next