Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Severe Weather Check-In

+13
bpaquet
mockingbird
Suzzzz
WarriorNY
Magdalene
Susan A
Sue Short
jimkr2t
lovekitties
fiffur
fluffnstuff
jeanebellini
BobCat
17 posters

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down

Severe Weather Check-In - Page 3 Empty Re: Severe Weather Check-In

Post by Sue Short Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:53 pm

I'm bumping this up because I've seen pictures of NC and have heard reports
from Virginia that they have 14 inches. So everybody from that part of the
world check in and stay put if you can.
Sue Short
Sue Short
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by Magdalene Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:38 pm

I heard the NY will get blizzard conditions, so our contingent in NY/NJ, check in!
Magdalene
Magdalene
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:22 pm

How are you doing Mags?
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Magdalene Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:13 am

We're doing okay in Pittsburgh----cold and jsut a little snow (western PA isn't getting what the East Coast is getting, lol!) But we are supposed to have a warm weekend, and I'm praying for snow/cold---we have an outdoor hockey game to play!!!!

How about you???

No Rain!!!!!!
Magdalene
Magdalene
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:36 am

Cold but dry right now. This could change as the week
goes on.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:04 am

We got 10-15 inches of snow. Shocked
WarriorNY
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:52 pm

I heard NY got a nasty blizzard! Even Georgia got snow in amounts they haven't seen in ages. Is everybody okay out there near the East Coast? Jeane?
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:27 pm

We got 5" here in NC (more in some places) and it was the wet, heavy stuff. I spent all day yesterday with no electricity (i.e. HEAT!) because some snow-laden tree went down on the power lines. Shop Dog, Weezer and I huddled under blankets all day until the lights came on again around 4:00 that afternoon. Hallelujah!! A long, cold day in a freezing house is no damn fun, but I consider us lucky that it wasn't more than those 6 shivery hours! pale

Hoping to hear from Susan A down in Georgia!
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:04 pm

Susan A lives in S. Carolina now - used to be in Georgia. Hopefully, she (and all of our friends here) are A-OK.
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:32 pm

the tv,computer and phone went out last night around 7:00. it took over 24 hrs to get it back. i didn't go to work today and i fear reprocussions. i was supposed to work 8-2...i would be walking both ways cuz the folks upstairs won't drive when there's more than maybe an inch or two of snow and there's no buses.
NJ was in a state of emergency since last night. well, i called the store three times and got no reply.so i called marta to see if she knew anything and she had been trying to call here (i didn't have time to tell her the phone line wasn't working..i was on my cell and they should have my cell #).supposedly they were opening the store at 1:00 and i could go in then to do the money stuff and leave. I said something to the effect that i'd try to get there...not 100% one way or the other. though i did ask that if i didn't go in if i'd lose a day's pay even though the store was closed all but one hour of the time i was supposed to be there. and the answer was yes.
so i lost a day's pay because i wasn't walking for at least 90 min (x2) in 2' of snow. the governor said there should be no cars on the road that weren't necessary. i suppose i could have walked down the middle of the road.'ANyway...i'm off tomorrow as well and only go in foru 4 hrs on Weds. I'll probably get hauled into the office and chewed out if not fired because i didn't go in today...i'm sick over it,but it just wasn't worth it. (If i'd get there at 1:00 andi' have to leave by 3:00 to get home before it was dark...cuz there's no way i'd be able to walk through the drifts in the dark even with the little flashlight i have.

i know there was a lot of snow in NYC and a lot of storesin the city were closed or opened late. i don't know if lk got into work but i bet there was a lot of snow in her area as well. here's hoping she can get online tomorrow to let us know!
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:06 pm

Haven't heard from LK today. She is probably snowed and if the Gov.
declared a state of emergency and said no traffic there is nothing you can
do about it. Glad you are fine, just snug in the best you can. Prayers are with
you. I may try to give you a call tomorrow.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by jimkr2t Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:19 pm

Boy, we had some real snow Sunday - over here, in (west) South Jersey, it was 12 " - over in the east South Jersey, it was something like 20 " - and it was COLD - windy, shivering, OUCH - I stayed in Sunday afternoon, but after dinner, about 7 PM, I shoveled about 3/4 of the driveway - but it was still snowing, so when I got up Monday, there was MUCH to do - but it was at least sunny - COLD, but sunny. got the shoveling done, but my muscles hurt pale Looks like NYC and Boston got it worse!

Jim
jimkr2t
jimkr2t
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:40 pm

MyLord, you got buried out there in Joisey!

Jeane, if they give you grief remind them the governor himself said if you didn't have to be out there in the snow not to be. Walking down the middle of the road when plows are fighting to clear them is NOT safe. And a 90+ minute walk for 1 hour's work is not worth the risk. They really can't expect you to do that.

So far our only severe weather is a strong possibility of freezing drizzle and black ice tonight--again.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:53 pm

the news is still saying that people aren't supposed to be out driving on the roads in the state. i saw some reporters in Brooklyn and they're still shovelling out there. the people in NYC are really po'd because they're not able to move their cars and the sidewalks are crappy.

as for me saying anything...they won't want to hear it. if more than two people were able to get into work then we are all supposed to get in....but as i've said before, i can't say much on the net for fear or reprocussions.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by mockingbird Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:24 pm

Keeping all of our Mutties friends and their families and friends up North in my thoughts and prayers. I've seen on the Internet news how awful this blizzard is. Please be careful as you venture out, if you must.

Christmas in Southern California was pretty soggy. We were safe from the severe flooding at my parents' house, but even just down at the end of their street a house was completely surrounded by water and the road was flooded out down there. Lots of water, lots of mud, lots of folks' cars stuck in the water and mud. My father pulled an SUV out of mud up to that big vehicle's tires. My father has a Jeep and was able to get the guy out pretty easily. Joshua and I were with him as we were going to see the road washed out at the river. We did and I'll be sharing pictures of that soon.

Here in Georgia I guess Atlanta got a white Christmas, but only light flurries in Savannah and surrounding towns. Some places it stuck, but not for long. It's COLD here, though. I mean, quite cold for here. The wind and humidity makes it worse. It looks like it will be warming up a bit later this week, though.
mockingbird
mockingbird
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

http://www.wildgooseberry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:48 pm

lovekitties finally checking in! My part of Brooklyn got about 2 feet of snow.
I came home from my cousin's on Sunday, left about an hour after the snow started so luckily was home before they closed the LIRR.
Woke up Monday and attempted to go to work. The drift over one of the doors to my apartmetn house was over 5 ft, the super cleared the other door but no-one had shovelled yet (it was still snowing). the plow had made a cursroy sweep of the Avenue, but my street was untouched. (still untouched this morning. I got as far as the corner of the street and was about to cross when I saw a neighbor heading back. She said the trains were all out.
This was a rotten rerun of the blizzard of 1993 except this time NYC was supposedly ready to combat it. HAH!
yesterday, I managed to get to KIngs Hway. My train still out so I was going to take the bus to the F train which was running. Missed on e bus and ended up walking (about 3/4 of a mile) in the middle of the street to get to the very packed train. trip in to work took 2 1/2 hours where it normally takes 45 minutes.
THis morning my train was still out. but I got an empty bus! to the F train. I missed the packed train, but there was an empty train in the station which was going into the city so today my trip was only about 1/2 hour longer than usual.
My train is still out although all the other trains in NYC are more or less back.
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:22 pm

I've been hearing the roads, trains, and subways out there have been total nightmares. Glad you weren't one of those people who got stranded on the train overnight freezing in your seat.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:50 am

Bumping this topic up to the top (and making it a "sticky") for the big storm that is headed for the midwest, and then the east coast afterward. I had a bit of a slippery trip to work this morning, but it was just the precursor to the big stuff due to hit late morning or early this afternoon.

Stay safe everyone - and check in here when you can!
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:34 pm

I'm fine and so are my parents and kitty crew. Last looked, there are 905 hundred of cancellations and delays just due to weather. That's just for the count I live in and the surrounding counties. Roads are iced up and the tree branches are covered with ice. I can barely see another line of the same thing on the radar. Some areas already have power outages. Just found out that the mayor raised the travel status orange meaning only essential travel is recommended.
fluffnstuff
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:04 pm

They're talking the worst storm we've had here in 100 years starting in a few hours...............I probably won't be online tomorrow at all.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:46 pm

Ice warning has been issued. Enough already of this weather and when is this going to end?
fluffnstuff
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Magdalene Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:21 pm

Little icy here, not like two weeks ago (check out the video on Youtube, Fallowfield street). I used to use that street before I started working from home!
Magdalene
Magdalene
Mutts Fan-atic
Mutts Fan-atic

Back to top Go down

Post by lovekitties Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:17 pm

we had about 3 inches of snow last night but its been sort of sleet drizzling all afternoon. a bit slippy out. will be lots of ice and sleet tonight, tomorrow turning to rain.

Good luck to all the midwesteners. I hear you are getting hit bad this time.
lovekitties
lovekitties
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:27 pm

It took me an hour and 15 minutes to drive 12.5 or 13 miles from work to home this afternoon, not to mention almost getting knocked over by the wind walking to my car. It was white knuckles all the way. What a Face I won't be going anywhere for the next couple of days, at least.
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:33 pm

Right now it is in th upper teens. The roads are horrendous, it started with rain last night.
That turned to freezing rain and sleet, then snow. Everyone here has hunkered down.
Antonio is just beside himself. It's supposed to be dry but extremely cold until the weekend.
We have pipe blankets underneath Lair house so hopefully the kitties are underneath there.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next