Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movie Reviews

+10
jimkr2t
lovekitties
fluffnstuff
fiffur
WarriorNY
gbste
Bob
BobCat
jeanebellini
Suzzzz
14 posters

Page 6 of 32 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 19 ... 32  Next

Go down

Movie Reviews - Page 6 Empty Re: Movie Reviews

Post by BobCat Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:47 pm

Speaking of scary, over the weekend I watched the one horror movie that scared the bejeebers out of me as a kid - The Mummy. I mean the original, with Boris Karloff. I hear that some people don't like the slow pace of this version, and I suppose if you compare it to the recent one it is, but that creepy atmosphere is second to none! Eating Eating Eating Eating Eating Shocked
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:27 pm

bc the originals are the BEST. though my fave part of the old ones is when they're making the stuff to bring the mummy back (its tannen leaves...i can't remember how many any more!)Its like the werewolf movies....about even a man who is pure of heart and says his prayers at night can become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.
I don't think any of that stuff is in the new movies anymore. i pity the kids who won't see the originals!

Bob, are you going to see the new Fright Night?(I"m beating you saw the original back in ....i think it was the early 80s..though in my head it seems like the late 70s). i'd sure like a review of that one from someone who saw the original! (i think Roddy McDowell's part is being played by someone who not only is doing it very differently but is also very familar;) )
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:55 pm

Fiffur wanted to know if Open Season 3 was good. No...it was not good. It was boring and it just wasn't funny. The first two were WAY better. The entire purpose of the third one was to give Boog a love interest. Mad

Open Season 3 gets Eating from me.
WarriorNY
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:34 pm

just trying to squeeze the last penny out of a dying theme,eh? i've only seen the first one...i figure its like madagascar..the first one was good and the rest were just 'lets see if we can get a few more bucks'.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:27 am

I liked Madagascar 2. The Penguins of Madagascar is one of my favorite shows. Some franchises actually work.
WarriorNY
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:35 pm

Poking around in the library today I saw the Batman movie! Knowing it was on my Bob-imposed superhero teaching agenda, I snatched it up. Got it home, looked at my list, and realized it's the wrong one. Rolling Eyes Bob set me to watch Batman Returns and I got Batman Begins. Well, I watched most of it anyway, and I have a few points I'd like to discuss:

1. How the heck do you keep all these movies straight as to which is which, and which ones are the good ones?

2. As I said, I watched it anyway, but it was so long I had to turn it off after Batman saved saved the girl but before he saved the city. I have it for a week, though, so there's still hope.

3. Question: is this franchise all part of a whole? Will my now knowing how Batman got started have any bearing on his future endeavors?

4. (this relates to keeping them all straight) I spent the entire time thinking to myself, "That cannot be Michael Keaton!" Checked IMDb afterwards, and of course, it's not. Geez.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:56 am

Suzzzz wrote:Poking around in the library today I saw the Batman movie! Knowing it was on my Bob-imposed superhero teaching agenda, I snatched it up. Got it home, looked at my list, and realized it's the wrong one. Rolling Eyes Bob set me to watch Batman Returns and I got Batman Begins. Well, I watched most of it anyway, and I have a few points I'd like to discuss:

1. How the heck do you keep all these movies straight as to which is which, and which ones are the good ones?

2. As I said, I watched it anyway, but it was so long I had to turn it off after Batman saved saved the girl but before he saved the city. I have it for a week, though, so there's still hope.

3. Question: is this franchise all part of a whole? Will my now knowing how Batman got started have any bearing on his future endeavors?

4. (this relates to keeping them all straight) I spent the entire time thinking to myself, "That cannot be Michael Keaton!" Checked IMDb afterwards, and of course, it's not. Geez.

Suzzzz my love I fear you are a lost cause. lol.
1) I was raised on comics and superhero serials so keeping them straight in my mind is practically second nature to me.
You have to forget the Michael Keaton Batman Grasshopper and concentrate on the now.

2) There's not much more of the film after he saves the girl. But the denoument(love that word) with Ras Al Ghul is worth seeing.

3) remember there is another film to watch before the third in this series comes out in the cinema.

4) See answer 1. lol

5) 'Bob-imposed superhero teaching agenda'. Love it. lol!

Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:02 am

jeanebellini wrote:bc the originals are the BEST. though my fave part of the old ones is when they're making the stuff to bring the mummy back (its tannen leaves...i can't remember how many any more!)Its like the werewolf movies....about even a man who is pure of heart and says his prayers at night can become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.
I don't think any of that stuff is in the new movies anymore. i pity the kids who won't see the originals!

Bob, are you going to see the new Fright Night?(I"m beating you saw the original back in ....i think it was the early 80s..though in my head it seems like the late 70s). i'd sure like a review of that one from someone who saw the original! (i think Roddy McDowell's part is being played by someone who not only is doing it very differently but is also very familar;) )

Hey Jeane. Tana leaves brought the mummy back to life, and yes the Karloff version is the best.

Fright Night is in my DVD collection (as is Fright Night 2. Though why that should be I really don't know. It's terrible). I love that movie. It's balance of humour and horror is terrific.
And yes I am going to see the remake. I'm looking forward to seeing Mr Tennant in the role made famous by R MCDowell esq. Judging from the stills I have seen it is very different indeed.
Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:27 am

I rented Ma & Pa Kettle at Home from the library. So I have something to watch tomorrow afternoon, since I don't have cable and there's usually nothing good on Sundays. I haven't seen that one in a LONG time.
fiffur
fiffur
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:32 pm

Ma & Pa Kettle? What a hoot! Haven't seen one of those in years. Perfect for a Sunday afternoon. Who was Ma, Marjorie Main? Is that right? Whatever, she was marvelous!

Tonight I watched Saving Grace, tho I don't know if it was the one previously recommended. This was a Brit film, a sweet, silly romp about a woman who's husband died leaving her nothing, so she turns her gardening skills to raising marijuana in order to save her home (with full support of her little Cornish village). Delightfully, Martin Clunes (Doc Martin) plays the stoner village doctor, and I'm pretty sure it was filmed in the same village as Doc Martin. Great fun!
Eating Eating Eating

Bob, I think you're right, I may be a hopeless case on the superhero front. I simply don't have the background for it. The Batman movie I saw was okay but, truth be told, I had way more fun watching 15 minutes of The Parent Trap (original version - popped up on TV when I turned my movie off) than I had in the 2 hours of slogging through Batman.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:00 pm

Ok, that one is now on my list. It sounds familiar but what they hey I'm going for it.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:58 pm

suzzis Craig Ferguson in that movie about the woman growing maryjane to get by?
as for superhero movies....i'd say try the Spiderman ones. they're easier for me to understand than the batman ones. though i admit that one with the black spiderman (a black suited spiderman...as opposed to the new spiderman in the comics who is actually a black person; ) )was hard for me to understand until i read the book (the novelization was written by peter david..when you read one of his its almost like watching the movie!) and...at least for now...you don't have to keep asking yourself who plays Spidey cuz they've kept the same guy for three of them!

and now for a film NOT to waste your time with..The Love Guru...i LOVE Mike Meyers...but this movie (which is on as i type) sucks like a black hole.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:10 pm

Watched 'Scent of a Woman' today. Have to admit it's a film I never fancied watching before, but as there was nothing else on TV, I thought 'what the hey'.
Anyway, yes, there is a modicum of bad language in it, but all in all I thought it was a great film. Good story and acting from the two principals (Al Pacino and Chris O'Donnell) and also from the supporting cast too. I, surprisingly, really enjoyed it. A really good film to watch.
Eating Eating Eating Eating
Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:44 pm

Suzzzz, you're right it has Marjorie Main and Percy Kilbride as Ma and Pa. I have "The Egg & I" on homemade disc, and that has them in their very first appearance as Ma & Pa (as supporting characters). They were so popular that's why they spun off the Ma & Pa movies. If it weren't for the library loan system I wouldn't get to see those anymore.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:27 pm

I saw "Scent of a Woman" years ago. I have an uncle who loved that movie and made sure we watched it. I remember enjoying it, but that "HOO-AHH" stuff wore thin with me in a hurry.

Watched "UP" last night. It was pretty fun.
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:44 pm

I've seen that, you're right is fun but also very sweet.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:40 pm

I liked the book Holes but if it wasn't for my friends here I never would have watched the movie. The author of the book wrote the screenplay so it was very faithful to it. I give the movie Eating Eating Eating Eating

WarriorNY
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:13 pm

WarriorNY wrote:I liked the book Holes but if it wasn't for my friends here I never would have watched the movie. The author of the book wrote the screenplay so it was very faithful to it. I give the movie Eating Eating Eating Eating

Yay for our team. cheers
Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:30 pm

Seconhand Lions was a good movie. It was funny and moving.

I give it Eating Eating Eating Eating
WarriorNY
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:36 pm

Glad you liked it. It's a sweet and moving film.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:31 am

Just watched the remake of Conan. Save your money it's total dross. Not even worth one bag of popcorn. But it gets three sick faces for that Urp Urp Urp
Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:11 pm

What a shame, it stared the guy from Stargate Atlantis in the title role. But an actor can only do so much with a script.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:50 pm

I didn't think it was very promising from the trailers. You got to admit that the one with
Arnold was a lot of fun. Bad acting, bad script but dang it was fun.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:17 pm

Sue Short wrote:

I didn't think it was very promising from the trailers. You got to admit that the one with
Arnold was a lot of fun. Bad acting, bad script but dang it was fun.

I totally agree
Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:24 pm

guess the best Conan for the 21st century is the O'Brien version;) (for some reason i'm itching to see The Green Hornet though...met some of the folks at NYCC last year but never saw the movie).
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 32 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 19 ... 32  Next