Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movie Reviews

+10
jimkr2t
lovekitties
fluffnstuff
fiffur
WarriorNY
gbste
Bob
BobCat
jeanebellini
Suzzzz
14 posters

Page 5 of 32 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18 ... 32  Next

Go down

Movie Reviews - Page 5 Empty Re: Movie Reviews

Post by Bob Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:22 am

Suzzzz wrote:I admit I'm not a big fan of the comic book genre so I probably won't see GL or CA

Shock, horror.
Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:28 pm

Watched Yogi Bear at Brads over the weekend. If you can get past the fact that the bears don't look real, it's not a bad movie. Made me laugh a few times, so I give it Eating Eating
fiffur
fiffur
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:36 pm

Bob wrote:
Suzzzz wrote:I admit I'm not a big fan of the comic book genre so I probably won't see GL or CA

Shock, horror.

Hey. I loved Superman II, and I was a Trekie back in 1966 before you were even born. Do I get NO cred for that?? Oh, wait, you're as old as I am. But still!

Okay, if I were to give comics movies a shot, give me a list of essentials. Not a LONG list! Just the highlights. Up to it, my fellow geezer? Suspect
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:37 am

Suzzzz wrote:
Bob wrote:

Shock, horror.

Hey. I loved Superman II, and I was a Trekie back in 1966 before you were even born. Do I get NO cred for that?? Oh, wait, you're as old as I am. But still!

Okay, if I were to give comics movies a shot, give me a list of essentials. Not a LONG list! Just the highlights. Up to it, my fellow geezer? Suspect

Okay, I admit I was shocked as I thought comic books were as mother's milk to the majority of Americans (they were for me. lol). Hmm if pressed for a starting point for comic based films I guess I'd have to offer 'Batman Begins' for starters, Iron Man was surprisingly good. Robert Downey jnr made a great Tony Stark. The first two X Men films and Wolverine as main courses and Spiderman as a dessert. How's that for starters?

If you enjoy the odd horror film Constantine was good and based on a DC comic. Course you have to get past Keanu Reeves playing the lead role. In the comics Constantine was blond and came from Liverpool, England Neutral . I rest my case. It's still a good film in spite of that. Very Happy
Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:27 pm

There's also the first Fantastic Four movie................
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:14 pm

hate to tell ya this Suzzz...but Cowboys Vs Aliens is based on a graphic novel;)
i had to laugh when you said 1966 was before bob was born! i didn't look at his info but i knew he had to be at least as long as me cuz he had won a Dalek way back when Wink (and whenever i start to envy those folks who say "i met David Tennant' or 'i met John Barrowman' i just remind myself I have a friend who once owned a DALEK!)
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:50 pm

Bob wrote:
Suzzzz wrote:
Bob wrote:

Shock, horror.

Okay, I admit I was shocked as I thought comic books were as mother's milk to the majority of Americans (they were for me. lol). Hmm if pressed for a starting point for comic based films I guess I'd have to offer 'Batman Begins' for starters, Iron Man was surprisingly good. Robert Downey jnr made a great Tony Stark. The first two X Men films and Wolverine as main courses and Spiderman as a dessert. How's that for starters?

If you enjoy the odd horror film Constantine was good and based on a DC comic. Course you have to get past Keanu Reeves playing the lead role. In the comics Constantine was blond and came from Liverpool, England Neutral . I rest my case. It's still a good film in spite of that. Very Happy

Fine. Writing this down. But I should warn you that I did see Iron Man, and found it a bit silly. I'd say this comic book stuff must be a guy thing, but other lady posters here prove me wrong. What can I say? All I did as a kid was play outside in the woods all day long, poke around in the creek and track box turtles, play Tarzan in the treehouse, and watch old Westerns on TV with Dad on rainy Sunday afternoons. The only comic books I had were Archies. This will take some getting used to. I did read a ton of sci fi as a teenager, but it was mostly Asimov & Heinlein. Could never get into the whole LOTR quest thing. I may be a hopeless case.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffnstuff Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:13 pm

I have watched some movies based on comic books. I didn't know Cowboys and Aliens was based on a comic book. But then I wasn't into reading comic books as a kid. My brother and I played outside a lot with the next door neighbor's two youngest kids a lot.
fluffnstuff
fluffnstuff
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:48 pm

oh suzzz i didn't get into the heavy comics until this decade! i grew up with Archies i got coverless packed in bags. i think they were something like 3/25cents. ...Donald Duck...Baby Hewy....maybe a few others. Archies were the only ones i saved up to buy on my own. (I used to have to in half with my sister for things like 16 Mag and 16 Spec)
now i tend to buy comics that have the whole story (or arc) collected together instead of the single ones. (cuz the ones i like i tend not to be able to find in the grocery store!)

jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:26 am

Suzzzz wrote:
Bob wrote:
Suzzzz wrote:
Bob wrote:

Shock, horror.

Fine. Writing this down. But I should warn you that I did see Iron Man, and found it a bit silly. I'd say this comic book stuff must be a guy thing, but other lady posters here prove me wrong. What can I say? All I did as a kid was play outside in the woods all day long, poke around in the creek and track box turtles, play Tarzan in the treehouse, and watch old Westerns on TV with Dad on rainy Sunday afternoons. The only comic books I had were Archies. This will take some getting used to. I did read a ton of sci fi as a teenager, but it was mostly Asimov & Heinlein. Could never get into the whole LOTR quest thing. I may be a hopeless case.

Don't get me wrong, I played outside too. Me and friends would go off for the day on our bikes. Course depending what we were playing at the time the bike could be anything from a flying carpet to a Thoat(Edgar Rice Burroughs books set on Mars were a favourite) and I'd be travelling across the plains of Mars with good old Tars Tarkas beside me looking for adventures. We built tree houses, nearly drowned in a local pond (don't ask) while the farmers cows looked on in amazement. Then we'd go back home and have something to eat and read and swap comic books. TV was reserved for rainy days (as you said) and after homework was done.
All good fun. I just realised how this has strayed from movie reviews. Yeesh. lol
Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:53 pm

Bob wrote:
Suzzzz wrote:
Bob wrote:
Suzzzz wrote:
Bob wrote:

Shock, horror.

Don't get me wrong, I played outside too. Me and friends would go off for the day on our bikes. Course depending what we were playing at the time the bike could be anything from a flying carpet to a Thoat(Edgar Rice Burroughs books set on Mars were a favourite) and I'd be travelling across the plains of Mars with good old Tars Tarkas beside me looking for adventures. We built tree houses, nearly drowned in a local pond (don't ask) while the farmers cows looked on in amazement. Then we'd go back home and have something to eat and read and swap comic books. TV was reserved for rainy days (as you said) and after homework was done.
All good fun. I just realised how this has strayed from movie reviews. Yeesh. lol

Well, yes, we do seem to have been having an extended sidebar, but I think it has very much to do with movie reviews, because what we like to watch NOW is rooted in our pasts, our lives, and how we see the world.

One more thing before we close it out: if any of your recommendations have anything to do with horror, gore or extreme violence or cruelty, tell me now. Cannot, will not, watch it. (No, no hidden trauma, I just hate that sh*t.)
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorNY Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:46 pm

I won't watch any of that type of stuff either. Evil or Very Mad
WarriorNY
WarriorNY
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:05 am

That's the main reason I won't watch Criminal Minds
anymore.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:22 pm

as much as i love things like Pulp Fiction or Natural Born Killers i can't watch something like Saw...those Saw movies are just made to gross people out. i tried to watch one and couldn't find any sort of plot.

i'm the same about any sort of cruelty to animals....i'd rather be told from the start that some critter is going to be hurt or killed in a movie (don't have to know details just 'warning: an animal is hurt/killed/whatever'). though i will ammend that with i love There's Something About Mary AND i love when the dog is in its full body cast on top of the car and sticks its tongue out.I've seen it maybe 100 times (cuz it was part of the commerical when the movie and the video came out)and it still cracks me up!

I was watching The Pelican Brief. All those Grisham novels made into movies are pretty good. A Time to Kill is very good (though there is violence i believe the really bad stuff isn't shown).Even The Client is good.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:07 pm

The Client is incredible. Sometimes I think that Grisham writes in the form of a movie
script. Vincent Price said something interesting many a long year ago. I'm paraphrasing here
he noted that the current crop of horror movies (many a long year ago) were meant to gross people
out but not scare them.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:34 pm

Vincent Price was spot on, IMO.

I know I'm supposed to be watching Batman Returns, but it will have to wait it's turn in my queue. Tonight I watched The King's Speech. Despite the acclaim and awards, I still suspected it would be slow and draggy. But it really was good! Hoo, what a family, and what a life they're born into. That's true for many of us, to be sure, but at least our birth circs don't preclude other options, and we can carry on our lives in private.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:00 pm

I've read a lot of biographies of the principals of that drama and none of them
come off winners. Still it's an interesting topic and I need to put the movie in my
list. Suzzz, you right what a family. If you think about it their collective memories go back
to Queen Victoria. Think about it Queen Mary married a son of Queen Victoria and knew her
personally. Elizabeth II can recount stories that were told to her by her parents. Her father knew
her great grandparents.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:57 pm

Had a Netflix gap this weekend so, aside from The King's Speech, I watched some old faves off my shelf. Wanted light fare, so picked Groundhog Day (I'm not a big Bill Murray fan but this one delivers Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven ) and In Her Shoes (love everyone in it, and it always gets to me Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven )
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:01 pm

Watched Mars Needs Moms over the weekend at Brads. Cute movie. If you're in the mood for animated, cute, with a decent plot, then I give this one Eating Eating Eating
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:24 pm

watched Final Destination ...gee i think it was 3...this afternoon. so bad that i can't even tell ya how it ended and it was right here in front of me!
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:56 pm

Now that is bad.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:43 pm

all i can remember is looking and they're on a subway and then i look up and the credits are rolling.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:04 am

jeanebellini wrote:watched Final Destination ...gee i think it was 3...this afternoon. so bad that i can't even tell ya how it ended and it was right here in front of me!

Another example of shock and gross but not scare. I saw an advertisement on TV the other night for Final Destination 5. Didn't even know there had been a 4. Yeesh.

Watched The Rise of the Planet of the Apes over the weekend and absolutely loved it. Brilliant effects, good story and lots of nods to the original film. I found myself cheering for the apes at the end and they've sown the seeds for a sequel. If, like me, you enjoyed most of the Planet of the Apes films you'll probably love this one too.
Eating Eating Eating Eating
Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:14 am

I remember the originals, the remakes haven't done a lot for me.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:17 pm

I won't get to see that one Bob until it comes out on dvd. I know Brad won't resist the siren call of the dvd section at the store then. The first one was good, especially the makeup effects. Much better than the original movies makeup. Don't know how I feel about computer generated apes in the sequel, will have to see for myself before I make up my mind.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 32 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18 ... 32  Next