Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cree found his own little girl

4 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Cree found his own little girl Empty Cree found his own little girl

Post by bpaquet Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:21 pm

I got a surprise call from a lady not too far away. She said that her family was looking for a horse who would be good with kids. She has a daughter who wants a horse to ride around the farm, and they have no plans to ride hard at all.

They came today to meet Cree. The girl brushed him, picked up his feet, and loved all over him. She rode him around the back yard, and the mom did too. He absolutely bloomed with so much fussing. He was completely steady even though the wind was howling and it was cold.

The people love him, and want to bring him home. They have a couple mini horses, cows, and goats, so Cree will have buddies. They have lots of hay and a nice run-in shed so he will be nice and dry all winter. He will have plenty to eat.

I've told them that I would love for him to have his own little girl, and be so loved. I will write a contract to have the right of first refusal if they decide not to keep him. I want him to be assured of a safe home if the little girl decides she wants to have a horse who can take her to shows. Since Cree's feet are not 100%, he is not that horse. But, he is perfect for what she wants now. They've said I can visit any time, so I plan to bring carrots often. Smile

I am sad to see him go, but I am very glad he has found someone who loves him so much. It was wonderful to see people who just fell in love instantly with a sweet boy.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Cree found his own little girl Empty Re: Cree found his own little girl

Post by Sue Short Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:27 pm

That's great Becky. I know how much you care for him. The contract is a great idea and even better you have visitation rights. Hopefully they will also send snaps.
Sue Short
Sue Short
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire Flower Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:06 am

That is great!

Fire Flower
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:50 pm

OhMy, this is a huge change! I hope Cree is happy and they send pics too. LOVE that you get visitation privileges . Wish they had a regular barn rather than an open shed for him.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:52 pm

The shed is actually really nice. It has three walls, so he won't be getting wet in the weather. I am sending his blanket, so he will be tucked in. I think he will love it. I do wonder what he will think of cows.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:21 pm

Good question...has he ever seen cows? Can that shed's fourth wall be closed off when the weather gets REALLY bad, to keep Cree dry and warm?

I wonder if Bingo has ever seen cows....will he be coming along to visit with you? Any of the other ponies?
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:34 pm

It's called a loafing shed. It's used a for animals out in the field to take shelter out of the weather. While not as nice a stall in a barn as long as they are kept clean and properly built there fine.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:18 am

All the horse literature says that horses are actually healthier when they can choose to come and go as they please. The sheds keep the hay dry, and they can go in to dry off or stay out of the wind. I don't know any horses who are unhappy when they live out all the time with the choice of when to come/go. A closed barn or shed is very dangerous because the dust in them is very bad for horse lungs. They can actually develop expensive breathing problems if they don't get enough fresh air.

I left the kids out late yesterday because today is supposed to be rainy. I figured they would want as much time to run around while it was dry as they could get. When I went out around 9 to bring them in, Cree was lying down sound asleep. He had picked the highest point in the pasture as his bed. Envoy and Kina were snoozing on either side of him keeping watch. Very cute. I hope Cree's new mini mares take care of him that way.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:24 am

I didn't know that Becky. I know that the big breeding farms have them in Kentucky.

Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:26 pm

Tonight, Cree is inside drying off. It's very moist outside.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:28 pm

Cree's little girl is coming to visit him on Sunday. Her mom called to say that she REALLY wants to feed him carrots and brush him. He's going to be the biggest teddy bear! Smile
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:43 pm

Cree's little girl came to visit today. He was so happy. He had three little people brushing him, and he gave a ride to his special little one. I am so happy that he is going to such a great home.

I need to put together a feed chart, a blanketing schedule (what temperatures/weather he should have jammies), and the numbers for the vet, farrier, and dentist. Smile
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:33 pm

I'm glad Cree seems to be so happy with his lil girl and her friends. They'll pamper him and fuss over him....he'll be King of his own lil herd (of peoples). When will he be leaving your herd Becky? How will Envoy and Kina handle that?

I loved the visual you gave me of Cree sleeping with them on either side standing watch. I second your hope that the mini mares will do the same for him.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:57 pm

Cree will go to his new home Thanksgiving week. That gives me time to get his fall shots, his worming done, and his feet trimmed. He'll be all ready for his new home, and they won't be faced with big bills right away. I plan to give them receipts so they know what to expect. They've done a lot of self care for their minis.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:09 am

I saw my horse vet at a social thing last night. I asked her about Cree's new family and if she thinks it's a good home. She said he won't be cared for the same way he is at my house, but he will have plenty to eat and lots of love. I was glad to hear a vet say that it is a pretty good match. I wouldn't know what to do if she had said, "Don't do it!"

Cree is happily asking for his blanket. I haven't pulled it out yet because I just don't want to deal with that yet. He has a really good winter coat, and it's not wet, so he can fluff that fur. It is actually healthier for them to be naked. I keep telling myself that as I shiver into my own coat.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:15 pm

on the first matter, you would have done the right thing. Backed out in a skinny minute.

As to the last, it is healthier for them to naked unless it's wet and freezing, then dry shelter at least.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:47 pm

True. The dad is building a nice run-in shed that will give him shelter. I'm giving the family his blanket, neck cover, and the sheet. I'm sure he'll be warm and dry.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:54 pm

I just hope Cree is happy with the arrangement. Sounds like they're trying to provide what he will need. If it doesn't work out, he can come back to you and the little girl can visit.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:19 pm

Well, as these things go, the girl isn't as interested as she thought she'd be. But... There is a REALLY nice barn close by whose owner IS interested. He would be loved and very well cared for. She wants to ride him and see what he knows. I am not a hunter rider, so I couldn't tall her if he jumps. He does go walk, trot, and canter, which is a positive thing. I've seen pictures of kids jumping him, so I think he'd be fine in that situation. I hope it works out because he'd be so good and taken care of so well. It's a small operation, so he wouldn't be used too hard. And, the lady knows all about foot pain, so if his feet don't hold up to it, she'll treat the problem. FINGERS CROSSED!
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:42 pm

I'm sorry that it didn't work out. As you said it's how these go. The other place like a treat too.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:25 pm

I think we have several good people interested. Thank goodness. I would let him come back, but I don't have a stall right now. I'm using my 3rd for shavings storage. I hate the thought of making one live outside all the time.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:54 pm

That's good, I hope it all works out
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:48 pm

I sure hope Cree finds his forever home. The place next door sounds good and the little people friends could still visit him over the fence.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:52 pm

No word yet, but I'm not really surprised with a holiday coming up.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:00 pm

I bet he has a great new home either by Thanksgiving or before Christmas.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next