Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movie Reviews

+10
jimkr2t
lovekitties
fluffnstuff
fiffur
WarriorNY
gbste
Bob
BobCat
jeanebellini
Suzzzz
14 posters

Page 15 of 32 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 23 ... 32  Next

Go down

Movie Reviews - Page 15 Empty Re: Movie Reviews

Post by Sue Short Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:37 pm

Put Mirror, Mirror on my Netflex list. Will put Salmon Fishing on later. Just finished watching the
Help, great cast Allsion Janey from the West Wing was in it. Listen up here, there are certain nuances
other than race involved in this movie. I know the subject of Jim Crow vie a vie the maids is the main
theme. There are other things at play, namely class, that is subtle. The other thing to me is how this movie
resonants depends on what part of the country you grew up in. I'm originally from eastern Kentucky and the later
lived in central Kentucky. I spent seventeen years in Chicago. So that colors the time period for me. I highly recommend
this movie. It's a great film that works at various levels. Eating Eating Eating Eating Eating One other thing
having dealt with the Junior League and been a member of the DAR. Well I snorted my wine and had to stop the movie while
I recovered.
Sue Short
Sue Short
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:09 pm

Watched The Artisit tonight. Remember the hype about that? The "modern" silent movie about the silent movie star? It was really very well done. Employing all the conventions of silent films, it started kinda slow compared to modern movies, but once you got used to looking instead of hearing, it was completely engaging. Got really dramatic, too! I enjoyed it very much, and the ending was great!

Eating Eating Eating

P.S. The true star of the show, IMO, was the dog -- a Jack Russell terrior (hello, Earl!) who was adopted by his trainer when he was about to be sent to the pound by his original owners for being too wild. He was perfect! Movie Reviews - Page 15 3110174621
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:58 pm

Just finished watching Shall We Dance. I think somewhere along the line I've
reviewed this movie in the forum. Anyway, Richard Gere, Susan Saradon and J. Lo.
The title is actually from the King and I. It's a wonderful dance routine and the movie
built on it. Eating Eating Eating Eating
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:22 pm

I loved Shall We Dance! I even bought it! Great movie.

I agree with Eating Eating Eating Eating

And now I have shall we dance from The King and I in my head! drunken
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:35 pm

ROTFL Happened to me too!!!!
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:20 pm

Finally finished watching Lawrence of Arabia. This was originally released in 63. (Don't even go
there y'all) The cinematrogphy is just fantastic, the score is just wonderful. Now for the actors. I had to
look some of them up. Peter O'Toole before he became dissapted and debauched. I had to hit the internet
to look up the cast in order to recognize them. Omar Sharif, damn he was drop dead good looking. Alec Guiness.
It is a long movie and very boring at times. I won't go into the details of why it took me so long to watch it. Let's
just say constant interruptions. Still the film has been beautifully restored and worth the time. Eating Eating Eating Eating
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:15 pm

Sue, have you ever seen The Egyptian? Or Land of the Pharoahs? Both have scenery on an epic scale like Lawrence......and some actors I think you will recognize.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:55 pm

Anybody interested in a little real-life East Texas murder flic with plenty of dark humor, go rent Bernie. Utterly (hilariously) true-to-life sweetheart of a true crime movie. (Sue, I'm talking to you!)

Eating Eating Eating Eating
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:11 pm

On the list,
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:45 pm

Just finished watching Aviator. I don't why it took me two days to watch this movie.
It's an excellent movie with a fantastic cast and set design. Eating Eating Eating Eating
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:00 pm

Oh, that's a good one!
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:03 pm

Saturday night we wanted to start to get in the mood for the upcoming Halloween season so we watched a movie called "Fido". No, it's not about a dog. It's a zombie movie with humor, and different from the usual zombie movie fare. I'd give it Eating Eating Eating just for the nostalgia and origin storyline.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fido_(film)

fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:14 pm

This past week we caught up with a couple of movies that we had wanted to see for a long time. First, we watched Black Swan. I really wanted to like it a lot, but as happens a lot with me, I thought there was more movie than needed to be. It wasn't excessively long, but at times it felt like it was. Even though it was well-done, mental illness is hard to watch. That said, it was still a good film, with one very cool special effect, though Natalie Portman was so skinny she was hardly recognizeable. Eating Eating Eating

Then there was The Help. This was done in a typical Disney fashion of making an uplifting movie from a tough subject. Even though this one was almost 2 1/2 hours long (a pet peeve of mine - I don't think most movies need to be that long to tell a story), it held my interest from beginning to end. Eating Eating Eating Eating (I wish I would have had a half-popcorn, because I would have given this one 3 1/2 - and may have upped the prior review by a half-popcorn too, just for the artsiness.)
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:49 pm

I couldn't get through the Black Swan, much to dark for me. I've seen the help and rated it five
popcorns. Such a tough subject and I thought they handled it very well. The scene with the DAR had in
me laughing so hard I was in tears. I don't think they planned it to be funny but if you've been a member of
that group, especially in the South, well what can I say.

Watched Starman last week, it was a revisit. Such an underrated film and so thoughtful at
times. Eating Eating Eating Eating
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:41 pm

Starman was a sweet and (I agree) thoughtful movie, well suited to it's time. I saw it for the first time a few months ago and loved it.

I decided not to try Black Swan. I just don't want to willfully experience that much dark. Real life has me full up, thank you.

The Help was great for what it was, a relatively light make of a relatively light book. The horrors of that time were, IMO, glossed over in both. Reading the book, I was terrified the whole time that something really bad was going to happen. I felt no such terror watching the movie. On the other hand, the book was the author's attempt to express what she grew up experiencing, and on that score it was honest. The movie pretty much stepped away from any horror and played up the absurdity of certain Southern culture of the time. That they did, and it was hilarious! I liked both book and movie. To each genre it's own.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:20 pm

Yes, The Help was definitely light fare for the subject matter, but again, I kind of expect that from a Disney production. If it were more true-to-life, it would have been as hard to watch as Black Swan. Black Swan was indeed dark, but it was also tedious in parts. I have an easier time watching this kind of dark than I do watching the senseless violence in so many movies these days.

Have never seen Starman. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:47 pm

Oh, that's a good movie Bobcat.

We watched Dark Shadows last Saturday. If you can get past the changes they made from the original series (I was a very faithful viewer back then) it was good and quite funny in spots. Good cast too. Eating Eating Eating

fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:58 pm

I'll have to rent that. It stars Johnny Depp doesn't it.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:39 pm

Watched "It's Complicated" tonight. Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin in a rom com for grownups. Nice!

Eating Eating Eating
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:37 pm

Yes it does Sue! He did a good job of it too. It also has Helena Bonham Carter, Michelle Phiffer, Johnny Lee Miller...........who all did a wonderful job.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:24 pm

I've got to check it out then.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:16 pm

I hope you like it. I'm hoping for a sequel....
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire Flower Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:14 pm

I saw an afternoon show for Wrech-It Ralph. I loved it! It was a really good movie...especially for gamers like me. It was smart and funny.

Eating Eating Eating Eating

Fire Flower
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:11 am

Just finished Good Will Hunting. I'll really don't know what to make of this movie. Very
well crafted but I just couldn't get that interested in it. Still it has Matt Damon, Robin Williams and
was written by Ben Affleck and Matt Damon. Eating Eating Eating
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:45 pm

I was "meh" about Good Will Hunting the first time I saw it, but when I watched it recently I think I saw it it for what it was, a psychological treatise on redemption. Robin Williams did it a second time with Fisher King. Both should probably wait until you're in the mood for such things.

Watched Kevin Spacey's tribute to Bobby Darin last night, Beyond The Sea. I guess that was about redemption, too, in a way. Very unusual mix of fact and showmanship, and apparently (from what I've read) a long labor of love for Spacey. Still not sure why he was so invested in Darin, but I was curious so see what he'd made. I think whether you love it or not might depend on your affinity for a certain time in show biz (late 50's - 60's) when the domination of crooners was giving way to a new kind of sensibility and music. Or you're a Bobby Darin fan. Still, I give it Eating Eating Eating with the caveat that you read about it first to see if you're interested.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 32 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 23 ... 32  Next