Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movie Reviews

+10
jimkr2t
lovekitties
fluffnstuff
fiffur
WarriorNY
gbste
Bob
BobCat
jeanebellini
Suzzzz
14 posters

Page 9 of 32 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 20 ... 32  Next

Go down

Movie Reviews - Page 9 Empty Re: Movie Reviews

Post by Sue Short Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:58 pm

Watched the King's Speech, great movie. Highly recommend it. You don't have to know a lot
about that period of history to enjoy it. A side bar here. I didn't recognize Derek Jacobi and Clair Bloom.
Great cast, cinematography and great score.

I give it Eating Eating Eating Eating
Sue Short
Sue Short
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:54 pm

Sue Short wrote:

Watched the King's Speech, great movie. Highly recommend it. You don't have to know a lot
about that period of history to enjoy it. A side bar here. I didn't recognize Derek Jacobi and Clair Bloom.

Second that. VERY good movie! If you're expecting some dull English historical thing, think again!
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:16 am

Suzzzz wrote:
Sue Short wrote:

Second that. VERY good movie! If you're expecting some dull English historical thing, think again!

I WAS expecting just that Suzzzz (and I'm a Royalist) however I thought the casting, acting, scripting, darn it everything about it, was terrific. I'm not a big Helena Bonham Carter fan (although she was great in Sweeney Todd) but as the Queen Mother she really played the part well.
Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:51 pm

I'm a shameless Anglophile, myself (and NO one grovels at the feet of British Royalty like an American; I think it's some sort of leftover guilty nostalgia thing) but I, too, thought it would be dull. How nice to be proven wrong!

Today I "impulse bought" a used copy of Gilbert Grape on Amazon. I had some gift card credit and the used copy only cost me $3.75 including shipping. I hope it's watchable, but I must say I've never had a problem buying used DVDs from Amazon. For some reason that movie has been in the back of my mind lately. So long ago, yet Depp and DiCaprio were brilliant in it IMO, young as they were. Maybe it's because I recently saw Juliette Lewis (played one of the sisters) in Drew Barrymore's Whip It. Now, there's a cool little movie for all us cowgirls! Twisted Evil Eating Eating Eating
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:06 pm

Loved Gilbert Grape.

Saw 'Contagion' and Puss In Boots' today. What an odd mix I hear you say.
Contagion was an okay movie. But there were any number of occassions when you wonder why on earth they reacted as they did. One such time was when they contact someone they think may be contaminated by mobile phone. He is on a bus, but instead of telling him to stay put and to tell the driver to take the bus and passengers to a secure area they tell him to get off. Silly as all the passengers are contaminated by him and they're letting him loose in the city.
Eating Eating

Puss In Boots is absolutely brilliant. I love the character from the Shrek movies so to see him in his own movie is a bonus. Antonio Banderas gives voice to the feline charmer and Selma Hayek is the voice of Kitty Softpaws.
Eating Eating Eating Eating
Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:07 pm

The whole idea behind Contagion didn't do a lot for me. I can't wait to see Puss N Boots.
I love Antonio Banderies. Antonio is named for him. I love my suave, elegant men in tuxedo's.

Watched Rio Grande, the second in the Ft Apache trilogy.
Classic John Wayne, with his first pairing with Maureen O'Hara.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:07 pm

I don't plan to see Contagion. First of all, I'm OCD enough about germs as is, being raised by a germ conscious mom & doctor dad, though I think I've balanced it pretty well being a firm believer in the 5-second rule and the old saw that we all eat at least 2 pounds of dirt in our lives. Besides, I distinctly remember eating a handful of sand from the backyard sandbox when I was 5, and I'm still here. Bob just clinched it. Illogical nonesense in a supposedly tightly smart movie drives me crazy.

I also wasn't planning to see Puss N Boots, but everywhere I turn I hear it's great, so maybe I will.

On the other hand, I'm willing to sit through a cute-ish, dull-ish, cliche-ridden movie just to see my sweet John Candy. Watched Cool Runnings last night and, while I can't give it many stars, I can't say I'm sorry, either. jocolor Eating Eating
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:20 pm

I've seen that movie a couple of times. I agree with your view of it still it was clever and
the end was so touching.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:48 pm

The end was wonderful. I'll watch anything John Candy's in. Even if I can only give a film of his 2 stars, they are all 4 stars to me.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:25 am

A movie marathon took place yesterday. I wanted to have a jolly good laugh so I dug out my copies of 'Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines', 'Monte Carlo or Bust' and 'The Great Race'. Nice links with Terry Thomas as Sir Percy Ware-Armitage in the first and second film and Tony Curtis in the second and third. Have to admit The Great Race cracks me up every time. Jack Lemmon at his magnificent best as the drunken prince surrounded by pugs.
The sad part was realising how many of the people in the films are no longer with us.
Hoiwever.
Those Magnificent Men etc etc. Eating Eating Eating ROTFL
Monte Carlo. Eating Eating ROTFL
The Great Race. Eating Eating Eating Eating ROTFL ROTFL Always finish on a high. Rock On
Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:36 pm

I've seen the first and third movie, they're always good for a great time. But I never heard of the second one.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:22 pm

Watched the new Tintin movie today.
It's absolutely brilliant. Action, adventure and all out humour too. Full marks to Mr Spielberg for making this film. So many references to other genre (there was even a slight homage to Sherlock Holmes with a mention of the giant rat of Sumatra).
All round I give it Eating Eating Eating Eating It would have been five but Snowy didn't have a speaking part. lol!
Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:03 am

Watched the Secret of Roan Inish(Island of the Seals). I checked this movie out from the library
and I know it's available on Netflix. It's an Irish production and totally shot in Ireland. It's a wonderful
retelling of a very old legend of the Selkie. The cinematoprahy is awesome and the music sublime. For those of
you who think that Irish music consists of the Chieftans or Tommy Makem and/or the Clancey Brothers think again.

Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:09 pm

I don't know if it's a local thing or what, but Irish stuff has been so big here in recent years that I can hardly stand it any more. I'd have trouble watching that simply because everyone thinks they're Irish around here and I've heard enough reels and jigs to last me a long, long time.
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:51 pm

I know what you mean BC. It has gotten out of hand all over.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:42 pm

Oh! I saw Secret of Roan Inish several years ago! Wonderfully sweet and spooky, and I still think of it sometimes. I think I need to see it again. I know nothing of this Irish obsession of which y'all speak.

Bob, can one not versed in the history (or other genres) enjoy Tintin? I'm not even sure who he (?) is. In any case, I'm glad you thought they did a good job with it, and enjoyed! Very Happy
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:54 pm

It's not as bad in Dallas as it can be in Chicago. I think with Chicago it's because the Daley family ran the
city as their own personal fiefdom. In Chicago it used to if you weren't Irish you were no one.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:29 am

Suzzzz wrote:
Bob, can one not versed in the history (or other genres) enjoy Tintin? I'm not even sure who he (?) is. In any case, I'm glad you thought they did a good job with it, and enjoyed! Very Happy

I was raised on the books and the cartoons. It was the staple diet (along with the German version of Robinson Crusoe) during the school holidays. I think it's a film that anyone can enjoy. They do explain that Tintin is a reporter and hint at other stories in the film so I'd say yes, anyone can enjoy the film.
Given that Mr Spielberg was so keen to make the film I thought Tintin was fairly well known across the pond.

Watched the remake of The Wolfman again yesterday and I still love it. They put a nice plot twist into the story and a reasonable ammount of humour (have to admit it's the barest minimum though), plenty of shock moments so it appeals to me. Twisted Evil
All in all, and bearing in mind that the wolfman is still one Larry Talbot (as in the original Lon Chaney Jnr version. Still one of my all time favourite Universal films) I really rate this film and give it: Eating Eating Eating Eating
Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:21 pm

The local PBS station ran Charade. This is one my favorite movies. Stars Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant
great supporting cast, a classic Henry Mancini soundtrack. I'd have to look up but I think Chanel did Hepburn's
wardrobe. What's not to like?. Eating Eating Eating Eating Eating
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:43 am

Total agreement on that Sue. Charade is an absolute classic and deserves the five popcorns you gave it.
Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:29 am

Bob, maybe it's me but what I think that made movies like that so special was they told a story.
There wasn't a lot of special effects if any. Everything depended on writing and directing. Then again
that's still true, the actor is only as good as the material that he has, and the material is only as good as
the actor can make. The director is the coach.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:52 pm

i've only seen pages of TinTin but not whole stories....the artwork looks beautiful. i love snowy..he's so cute:)
there's an ad..i can't remember what its for! that has ...oh! Purina Dog Chow! it has TinTin,Snowy and some guy i don't know in it. very cute.

of course i want to see it...just look who wrote it! one of the best story tellers out there! ( love to hear him read his own descriptive parts of the stories)..yesh, TinTin is Moffatized;)
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:11 pm

Sue Short wrote:

Bob, maybe it's me but what I think that made movies like that so special was they told a story.
There wasn't a lot of special effects if any. Everything depended on writing and directing. Then again
that's still true, the actor is only as good as the material that he has, and the material is only as good as
the actor can make. The director is the coach.

Again I totally agree. Good writing and direction make all the difference. Audrey Hepburn wasn't the greatest actress in the world but she had a quality about her that worked.
I thinkI like Charade because it kind of keeps you guessing and the business with the trap doors in the theatre had me on the edge of my seat.
Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:22 pm

That was great, the disembodied foot steps and the music. Goose bumps and shivers
affraid
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:26 pm

Got My Neighbor Totoro from the library and watched it last night. I want to go to work every day on the Cat Bus!!!!!

Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 32 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 20 ... 32  Next