Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Envigado & Jay Jay (plus my kitties in Lansing too)

+7
WarriorNY
jeanebellini
bpaquet
BobCat
Sue Short
fiffur
ARNIgal
11 posters

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

My Envigado & Jay Jay (plus my kitties in Lansing too) - Page 3 Empty Re: My Envigado & Jay Jay (plus my kitties in Lansing too)

Post by jeanebellini Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:41 pm

is annie off at her family's is that why she's not at home? (hoping its something that simple)

i know about the swat at the floss....if i happen to need to see something on tv while i'm flossing i'll stand by the bed and finish up...always have a couple kitties wanting the 'string'. ....of course they also like to dig it out of the trash and play with it. (i find it on the bathroom floor every couple weeks!).
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

My Envigado & Jay Jay (plus my kitties in Lansing too) - Page 3 Empty Re: My Envigado & Jay Jay (plus my kitties in Lansing too)

Post by ARNIgal Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:32 am

Unfortunately not...Annie was in the hospital for about a week for heart (because of diabetes and the warm weather ) related issues. She got back just a little after I returned from the library yesterday. Very Happy Now Jay Jay will be able to see her when he goes for walks Smile
ARNIgal
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:21 pm

does she have any sort of AC in her apt? i feel bad when people with health problems wind up in the hospital due to the heat.

glad to hear she's home and will be able to have visitors...esp kitty visitors:)
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:06 pm

Glad Jay Jay can check in on his new friend again. That should lift her spirits. Can Annie afford to turn on the AC or is it that she doesn't even have an AC unit?
fiffur
fiffur
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:01 pm

I do not think she has one for her apartment. There was a window unit for my apartment, but the window that it would be put in is the one Jay Jay likes to sit in, so when my landlord asked I declined the a/c and said Annie could use it.

Besides, in Flint, people are REALLY hard up for cash. Several friends have had their a/c's stolen for scrap metal...even the central air units that are locked up in metal cages. Some of my friends in the city have actually given up having a/c and just suffer thru the really hot days.
ARNIgal
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:58 pm

That's happened here in Dallas. What's happened here is that schools and
churches get hit because there is no one around to check on the buildings..
Glad to hear Annie is out of hospital. Even better that you and Jay Jay can
check on her. I don't think people realize how important that is.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:12 pm

oh man..here (not in my town but in NJ as a whole) they have broken into houses that were for sale or just vacant and tore out the pipes for the copper and metal. i never thought of them stealing ac units!

there are ac units that sit in the room....i think they're usually round like an ottoman. but if you don't have money for it you can't get one..but if someone is without ac just because they can't have a unit in the window then its an option. i was told that they were on sale some place for $89.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:58 pm

I've heard and seen those. My great grandparents had one and it worked great for a lot of years. You can check Menards or Lowe's for similar AC units. When they put in the two computers for tenant use in my mom's building the room they put them in is extra hot in the summer despite AC being on in the building. So there's a free standing AC unit in there. Just have to have a small spot for the exhaust hose to stick out.

You could have one of those and not block a window. You can put them anywhere you want and move it from room to room also. That way you can have your AC and JayJay can have his window too.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:26 pm

i hope the room ac is cooling off well....thaT's one thing i learned early on..you can't have a place too hot for a computer...too hot and the computer will die. i killed two webtv units in TX cuz it was too hot in the apt!
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:03 pm

If the heat fried your computers I'm surprised it didn't try to do the same thing to you! Did it also fry the tv and fridge? I know dvd players and vcr's don't like it hot either..............
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:26 pm

So far the weather hasn't been hot enough for me to want to spend the money...but Jay Jay and Envigado are right...stretching out on the floor does cool one down Smile
ARNIgal
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:32 pm

wait a few more weeks...you never know what sort of deal you might get on an ac unit....not many people know about the inside kind so you might hit a deal you can afford. i know i've got my eyes open for one here.

the heat didn't kill the fridge nor the tv...they're not as delicate as computers.computers need a cooler environment because of their circuits or something.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:58 pm

As long as your PC can vent, high temps shouldn't hurt it too bad. The big, old mainframes needed to be refrigerated though. I remember working at a place with an ancient one. It had its own special room that was FREEZING.

ARNI, if you can't find an AC unit, look for a dehumidifier. They work wonders. It still isn't cool, but at least it won't be hot AND sticky.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:22 pm

i don't know if the old webtvs had vents. they died when i didn't even have them on...but it was pretty hot in the apt down in TX.
i remember those big old computers....the ones you had to haVe a whole room for...i would have loved to work in one of those cuz i think they were 50s or lower!

ya know, there's also something called a swamp cooler..i don't know how big they aRe though...but i've heard they're pretty good at cooling down.
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:10 am

I wonder if kitties would lay on a pile of ice chips like dogs would when it's really hot. I've seen a few pics of dogs doing that to stay cool.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:35 pm

ooo sounds like they'd get frost bite that way! ....i have some of those beads that you put in fabric and soak in water and use to cool off....every year i say i'm going to make some of those cooling mats with them! (but i never get anywhere where i can get pieces of fabric to make 'em....and i don't think anyone would one one made from old clothes!).
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:57 am

I don't think the kitties would care where the fabric came from as long as the spot was cool. And as long as the fabric you're using is still in good condition, unless people are superfussy they won't care either.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:09 pm

Right now, I have an oscillating fan that does the trick. Its so funny watching Jay Jay approach it. His goal is to sit perfectly under the oscillating head. Unfortunately he doesn't like the actual air hitting his face. Its like he's stepping on hot coals as he's approaching it. Envigado is not so hot on the fan. He prefers to stretch out on a glass-topped end table that I've inherited.
ARNIgal
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:11 pm

AHHH!! Yes, I know that one. Boo is partial to
porcelian.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:47 pm

Archimedes would lie in the pedestal sink in the bathroom. Gateway sprawls on the tile bathroom floor. GK likes the ceiling fan. Aren't kitties just fascinating?
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:11 pm

Yes, they are.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:55 am

Yes, and Bijoux likes to find just the perfect spot to get the breeze from both the fan (if it's on) and the AC. That usually means he's in the middle of the couch if both are on, or the arm of the couch closest to the AC if the fan is off. Either way, we get a blast of kitty bodyheat interferring with OUR enjoyment of the cool air.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanebellini Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:51 pm

i have one fan i can oscillate....toothpick esp will stretch out on the bed and let it just swish back and forth over him;) He looks so long stretched out like that i tried to take a pic with my phone but couldn't fit him all in! (i have to find out if there's a way i can get those pics from the camera into the computer!)
jeanebellini
jeanebellini
Moochie's Muse
Moochie's Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:15 pm

Ooooh, he was kinda like the Mutts strip from long ago that showed Mooch all stretched out, titled Cat Thermometer.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by ARNIgal Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:40 pm

I loved that strip...it was one of my faves Smile If it wasn't for the kitties though, this hot weather is actually my favorite!
ARNIgal
ARNIgal
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next