Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Envoy and Casper off to Boarding School

+4
Sue Short
fiffur
Suzzzz
bpaquet
8 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Envoy and Casper off to Boarding School Empty Envoy and Casper off to Boarding School

Post by bpaquet Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:58 pm

My trainer is wonderful. She came to be with me when Sabi was put down. She said that I could bring Casper to be with Envoy this winter. This is a great thing in many ways. Casper will be with his buddy, but live in a separate paddock, which will help him with his separation anxiety. I will be able to ride him and Envoy, which will help both of them. Casper will be ready for the trails in the spring and Envoy will get more rest days. It will be good for my husband, who won't have horse duty after work and can get some rest days. I will have to clean an extra paddock/stall, which will make the New Year's resolution more of a reality. Smile

We pack up the weekend after the New Year. I will need to bring some hay over first, and then we are just about ready.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Envoy and Casper off to Boarding School Empty Re: Envoy and Casper off to Boarding School

Post by Suzzzz Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:02 pm

I'm glad to hear this, Becky. I've been worried about Casper being home alone after Envoy goes back to school.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Envoy and Casper off to Boarding School Empty Re: Envoy and Casper off to Boarding School

Post by bpaquet Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:25 am

I would never ask a horse to be alone for very long. They are herd animals, and so need a buddy. Worse to worst would be that I would get a goat. Goats and horses actually are good companions. But, I don't really know anything about goats.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:56 pm

I am glad Casper can be with his buddy Envoy this winter. I was worried about how he'd be alone in the barn. It will be good for both of them to go to school. Casper won't be alone, can work on his issues, see other horses learning (and maybe learn himself by seeing?) and Envoy will have a buddy to help him with his grief.
How long will Envoy have to keep going to school? Just wondering.
fiffur
fiffur
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:31 am

The boys went to the trainer's today as a mini-adventure. They were a bit worried when I went to load up. Casper was sure he was going to be alone, and Envoy thought he was going to be leaving by himself. They both loaded quietly though, and once they were in the trailer, everything was fine. They looked happy to be in a new spot for a while. We didn't do anything exciting. We just went to visit. Envoy had a short ride in the arena, and Casper learned that he could see over the fence and into the open wall of the building.

Fiff, school is just my name for it. Really, Envoy goes there in the winter because there's good footing and shelter for riding. If I kept him at home, he'd have most of the winter off because of mud and rain. So, we will go as long as we're invited. The school part is really just like life lessons. Learn good lessons all the time. Smile
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:47 pm

Envoy was a bad boy this morning. They took advantage of an open gate. Casper came to me when I rattled some grain. He went right back to his house. Envoy ran around and around the house until he realized that his buddy was in the barn. Then, he ran right to his stall. What a goofball!
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:11 pm

ROTFL
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:55 am

lol! What a little devilish . Your trainer is wonderful and I've never met
her. Glad the boys loaded well and that they can be together at school. You know
when they come home a goat might not be a bad idea. I don't know anything about them
either except that the will kudzu and grasses and weeds that horses won't eat. I knew of someone
here in Texas that kept a small flock to help keep the weeds in their pastures under control.,
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:59 pm

ROTFL Envoy, you naughty pony! Didn't take you long to see what you could get away with now that Sabi isn't there to make you toe the line.
Glad at least Casper had the good sense to come when called. Grain is a good incentive!
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:02 pm

All good boys today. They did check out the escape route, but I had my brain about me even really early in the morning. It's raining, and the boys weren't too enthusiastic about much. At least it isn't too cold yet. I have a feeling we're in for it later this winter though.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:36 pm

Yeah, long about the end of this week. I assume the escape route has now been blocked?
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:08 pm

Yeah, by Friday I figure what we're going to get on Thursday will be where you are Becky. Truly nasty weather on the way. The boys won't have any incentive to try to escape anywhere except back inside the nice dry, warm barn.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:32 pm

The escape route was a gate I stupidly left open. Embarassed I got distracted by an almost empty water tank and then let the horses out without closing the gate. Dumb, dumb me. I couldn't be mad at Envoy. He just took advantage of the situation.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:56 pm

WEll, can't really blame him then for answering the call of adventure, can we? Wink
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:20 pm

It just struck me tonight. I won't have any horses at home once Casper and Envoy go to school. This will be the first time in 12 1/2 years that I won't have anyone to feed in the dark of morning. (The kitties beg to differ.) It's going to be really weird. I need to keep getting up early, but I am SO tempted to sleep in.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:25 pm

Get up with the Kitties, they will appreciate it having you all to
themselves.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:30 pm

I bet you'd have tons of attention from the kitties......after they get breakfast of course.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:31 pm

My thoughts went right to the kitties, too. They're used to you getting up at O'Dark O'clock, and if you think they will let you sleep in just because the horses are away, just wait and see. tongue

It will be different, though, won't it? Best be prepared for some "empty nest" feelings, sweetheart.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:22 pm

Yes. At least I'll see them every day. It will just be at dinner time instead of breakfast and dinner time. This will be our opportunity to get caught up on some barn and property chores. I just need to take some time away from school to do those chores.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:18 pm

I bet they'll miss seeing you at breakfast too Becky. Horses are creatures of habit much like kitties are. No sleeping in for you....the kits will see to that. There is no such thing as a snooze button on a cat who wants his breakfast!
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:00 pm

I think they're kinda like me in the morning as long as they get breakfast (and as long as I get coffee), we don't care who we see. Laughing

The boys spent the day hunkered down in the paddock with their hay nets. They didn't venture out to the pasture at all. The wind is blowing and it's COLD. They have blankets on, but seemed very happy to come inside. At school, they'll have paddocks of their own attached to stalls where they can go to hide from the wind/rain.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:25 pm

Sounds like a really good set-up for a horse to spend the winter. And, like you say, it's not as if y'all won't see each other -- you'll be spending time with them every day! And I'm sure you have farm maintenance to do to keep you busy (if the cats can't think of anything). cyclops
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:33 pm

Sounds like a good set up to me. Cats by the way don't have snooze buttons but they
also don't have pause buttons either.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:24 pm

Isn't that the truth! Even on Christmas when you want to sleep in they won't let you.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:22 pm

Sue Short wrote:

Cats by the way don't have snooze buttons but they
also don't have pause buttons either.

That's something Shadow and Phantom have taught me.

Becky I am so glad Envoy is settled. Is there an indoor arena for riding him? It will be good for him to have exercise without (as you said) rain and mud to contend with).
Bob
Bob
Mutts Nutt
Mutts Nutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next