Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Envoy and Casper off to Boarding School

+4
Sue Short
fiffur
Suzzzz
bpaquet
8 posters

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Envoy and Casper off to Boarding School - Page 4 Empty Re: Envoy and Casper off to Boarding School

Post by Sue Short Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:54 pm

Yes, inquiring minds want to know Question
Sue Short
Sue Short
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Envoy and Casper off to Boarding School - Page 4 Empty Re: Envoy and Casper off to Boarding School

Post by bpaquet Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:40 am

Lukie is a 16 hand dark bay Dutch Warmblood who is in charge of the barn now. He has an attitude for those who don't know him, but once you get used to his pinned ears, you find out he's really just a big ham. He hangs out with the youngsters and teaches them to stick up for themselves. Unfortunately, he has a degenerative disease in one of his back legs, so he's retired.

Pavie isn't with us any more. He used to be in charge of the barn. He was a 16 hand lighter bay Dutch Warmblood who was SWEET and extremely talented. He was the perfect babysitter. He colicked badly last January, and had to go to the Bridge.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:39 pm

I'm very sorry about Pavie; he sounds like a sweetheart. I guess Envoy knew him. I hope Lukie will be nice to Casper!
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by BobCat Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:20 pm

How sad... Crying or Very sad
BobCat
BobCat
Admin
Admin

http://www.whoppingfalls.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:07 pm

We all miss Pavie. He was a very special guy. Lukie loves Casper. When he goes out, he always walks past Casper's stall/paddock to sniff noses and share a bit of horse conversation.

No riding today. It was very rainy and the temps were dropping like crazy. Casper and Envoy were both wet from standing in the rain, so we longed them in their halters. They dried off well enough to get their sheets put on. I tucked everyone in, and came home to tuck myself in.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:47 pm

I'm glad Casper has made a new friend in Lukie. How is the filly who took a shine to him? Has he made friends with her yet? I imagine most of the horses at school haven't seen a gray horse either in their life or for a long time, so their curiosity should help in making more friends for Casper.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:57 pm

Everyone seems to like Casper. They haven't gotten to go out together yet since it's so wet. The pastures are under water and it's still raining. Everyone is hanging out in stalls and looking miserable. It's supposed to stop raining tomorrow -- PLEASE.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:02 pm

I feel your pain, while it's now dry it's freezing.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:58 pm

No luck... It rained all day today too. Casper's paddock is more like a pond at this point. The weather people are threatening freezing stuff tomorrow and maybe even some snow. What a mess! Even with an indoor, riding hasn't happened. The horses have been using it for their run-around time.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:46 pm

Nothing like terrible weather to put a damper on everyone's spirits........ we could use the rain but so far this winter has been quite dry but cold. Our farmers are worried about the upcoming growing season....we're still technically in 'deep drought'.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:13 pm

Today is rain and snow. The weather people think we could get up to 5 inches. And, the weekend temps are supposed to be close to 50 degrees. Weird stuff. The horses have blankets and neck covers on tonight. Envoy was silly and kicked some hay outside so he could eat in the mud. Who knows?!
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:30 pm

Today was lovely weather. It's muddy as anything, but getting drier.

Casper is finding his canter. After Envoy and I rode, I decided that Casper would do some longe work. He was quiet getting ready, which is an improvement. He only bucked and pulled a couple times on the line. Some of that might be pent up energy from the days and days of rain. But, he settled down and trotted nicely. I asked him to canter to the left, and he bunny hopped. He just couldn't get himself right. So, we slowed down at the trot and tried again. He got it! He couldn't sustain a clean canter, but he did get the transition and a few strides. I asked him to stop after those strides. We did a couple of those transitions and he got treats. He was smoother to the right, and could canter almost all the way around the circle. More treats. He got pretty sweaty after 15 minutes, so we quit and I walked him around to cool off. Again, he looked really proud of himself. He's fun!
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:44 pm

Becky, words and a emoticon just doesn't cover this. What a wonderful
boy. Time, all it takes is time. He truly is an unpolished gem.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:30 pm

Our diamond boy! Still in the rough, perhaps, but polishing up nicely! I love hearing that he's pleased with his work, and oh, Becky, I'm so grateful he fell into your hands. Smitten
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:35 pm

Casper worked with the trainer tonight. He learned to bend his neck while he walked and trotted. He was nice and quiet. Well behaved. He also had some lessons on not barging over people. He gets a little shove-y with his shoulder. I learned a trick to keep him out of my space. He was chewing and thinking a lot. I think we'll try some of this under saddle as soon as I can get a bridle. (His broke.) He seems like he's ready to do some quiet walking and a bit of trotting. Canter is right out for now. He really does not know how.

He still needs lessons on not snatching treats out of people hands. That's a tough one. Smile
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:29 am

I think the last is the hardest part. Still great progress, is such a Like a Star @ heaven
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:41 pm

Got to be hard not to snatch a treat when you've known starvation. That may take a while. My (late) little dog Ursa had a terrible life, chained and terribly neglected outside for years before she was rescued, fostered and finally homed with me. She was a small, bright, energetic elderly lady with excellent manners, perfectly content as my constant companion and the queen of our home. But I'll never forget the time, about 5 months in, that Weezer (still up to her tricks back then) had brought a vole into the house and let it loose. I was tracking it to capture and take outside (with Ursa in attendance, as always) when we spotted it in the bathroom. I was about to put the bowl over it when Ursa, quick as lightning, snatched and swallowed it. I've never seen anything like it, and I was so shocked I could hardly believe it. Ursa moved so fast she was literally a blur. Pure survival instinct kicked in with this dog who had been loved, fed and cosseted for (by then) for almost 2 years. Some things never leave us.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:09 pm

Casper is better about treats than he used to be. He used to open his mouth WIDE and try to swallow your whole hand. Now, he just snatches with his lips. He isn't nippy, which is good. I don't like it when horses are nippy. They can hurt you quick without meaning to.

Today, everyone stayed tucked in. It was 22 dark degrees when I got to the barn. I might have to try to ride tomorrow, but I need to bring a quarter sheet for the horses. (Covers their butts and my legs for riding.) I just cleaned, fed, and got in the car. BRRRR! And, now the weather people are calling for white stuff on Friday. Ugh!
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:50 pm

That's so true Suzzz. Glad that Casper is learning to be a gentleman. As to the weather
well affraid
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:31 pm

Casper is starting to polish up nicely for a diamond in the rough........ Very Happy
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:37 pm

Another day of staying in blankets. Tomorrow is supposed to snow a bit. I plan to ride a bit in the snow because it will be warmer than yesterday and today.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:15 pm

Will you need to caulk?
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:42 pm

Both boys are barefoot, so no special treatments. Just a good ride through the snow. Except, the snow just sprinkled down in the morning and didn't stick. That's supposed to be tomorrow, but I can't get to the barn. Neutral Oh well... It won't be our last chance.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:45 pm

Unless you are doing heavy duty work, I think barefoot is best.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:08 pm

Hang in there Becky, spring is supposed to be coming in about what......6 weeks?
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next