Our Mutts Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Envoy and Casper off to Boarding School

+4
Sue Short
fiffur
Suzzzz
bpaquet
8 posters

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Envoy and Casper off to Boarding School - Page 3 Empty Re: Envoy and Casper off to Boarding School

Post by Suzzzz Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:15 pm

How did it go today, love? Will you visit them Sunday? I'm a little worried Casper will feel abandoned and need to see you. Embarassed
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Envoy and Casper off to Boarding School - Page 3 Empty Re: Envoy and Casper off to Boarding School

Post by bpaquet Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:39 am

Everything went well. Both boys are tucked into their stalls/paddocks. Casper was a bit upset when Envoy went into his stall for dinner and "disappeared." I walked with him into his own stall and showed him his food bucket. That cured his upsetness. I put the hay nets on the paddock fences so Casper can see Envoy. He will get used to things, and then I can feed them both inside. The weather is supposed to be nice for most of the week, so eating hay outside won't hurt them. They'll have their blankets on, so they won't get chilled.

I'm going out every day but Fridays (and special occasions), so no one will feel abandoned. I need to go out both for them an for me. If I don't clean every day, the stalls and paddocks will be a disaster. Part of my deal is that I provide care for my boys. I can't leave them for more than a day and keep up with the work. Smile
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:59 pm

That sound great. I'm sure it will all be fine, especially when Casper gets used to the new digs and feels secure that meals will come in regularly. tongue I hope, also, he'll find it interesting to be in this lively and friendly place and find he has challenging tasks to do with you. How did they seem today?
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:33 pm

Today, I rode Envoy. We just had a light ride since it's been a while since we worked. He was excellent as usual. He even visited with some horses who were riding around the neighborhood. We'll probably join them another day. Today, we were trying to get our legs back.

Casper was challenging today. He was not happy when I brought him into the arena. He ran and bucked for a while. I see some longe lessons and ground work for him for a few weeks. He tried to kick out at me while I was brushing him in the cross ties. I bopped him with the brush. He got the message that kicking is not allowed. He actually calmed down once he realized that if he kicks and acts bad, I would just bop him on the side with the brush. It is how mom horses treat their kids. "Do something bad, and I'll instantly bite/kick you." He kicked and I "kicked" back. After 2 tries, he behaved himself. He's smart. He'll get it. Smile
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:41 pm

Glad Envoy was a good boy, well I guess some silliness is to be
expected from Casper. Happy to hear that he settled down
Sue Short
Sue Short
Guard Dog's Guardian Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:43 pm

I have a feeling Casper will settle down even more in the next few weeks. You being 'mama' and using discipline he understands will go a long way to making him a better horse. Good thing Envoy is there to help too, a nice example to see of how a horse is supposed to behave. No kicking, no bucking, no fuss.
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:18 pm

My heart goes out to Casper, sent off to a strange environment after the paradise of home. I can't blame him for being resentful and grumpy. BUT! That's no excuse for bad manners, and he acknowledged that, so points for him. He clearly trusts and respects his Ma, and
hopefully he'll eventually put his grumpiness aside and come to enjoy the whole experience.

Can't help but contrast him today, secure enough to express his feelings, to the broken and deeply depressed creature he was when he first came to you. That horse wouldn't have even bothered to protest.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:11 pm

He is definitely developing his personality (and his voice). He was very well behaved today. He shouted while Envoy was getting groomed, but it was just shouting. He didn't fuss when I put his blanket on, which is an improvement. He didn't act grumpy. So, he improved. I didn't work with him today. Weekdays, I need to trade between the two. So, tomorrow, Envoy gets the day off and Casper gets some ground work.

Tonight's ride on Envoy was terrific. I tried a new bit (Pelham with no curb rein or strap attached Pelham image). Envoy loved it. He was completely forward and really trusted that bit. Now, I need to find something similar with no curb shank. Smile
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:01 pm

Try a Tom Thumb or jointed, I've had horses go very well in them.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:06 pm

Tom Thumb is a no-go. I had a KK loose ring bit (with the little football in the middle) on him before. He just fools around with the football. He hates a single jointed snaffle. Right now, we're going to stick with the Pelham rigged up as a snaffle and just pretend like there are no shanks. I'll continue the bit search. By the time I find the perfect one, I'll have a wall full of the things. Razz
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:15 pm

Lol! You ladies are talking Martian to the rest of us! But I gather Envoy liked the new bit, so cheers

How did Casper do today?
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:32 pm

I had so many mouthpieces at one point I could have opened
store.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:42 pm

Essentially, a Tom Thumb bit is a curb bit with a ported mouthpiece. A curb bit has "arms" on the sides so your reins work with some leverage on the horse's mouth. It can help to keep a horse's head down. It can also be very harsh if you have hard hands.

Here's a link about mouthpieces. About Horses - Mouthpieces

Essentially, horses often prefer different bits, and they can be kind of picky about it. Envoy is pretty picky. He doesn't fuss if he doesn't like a bit, but he won't relax and drop his head either. I think he's quite happy right now. Hopefully, I can find a mullenmouth mouthpiece with no shanks. If I ever want to show, I'm not at a level where I can use a curb bit.

Casper and Envoy both had today off. I had a stupid meeting at work that ran really late. I didn't want to be out until the sun came up, so tomorrow's Casper's day.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Okay, horse ladies, I have a question for you. I haven't ridden a horse since I was a kid, and don't think I rode with anything more than a hackamore. I've always thought that a horse must mind a bit in his mouth, and always wanted to ask about that. Does he mind? If not, why the heck not? Why would he tolerate a piece of metal over his tongue?
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:36 pm

It all depends on how the horse is started as a youngster. If you are slow and gentle, there
will be few problems down the road. Also a good horseman will be wary of the really servre
mouth pieces. Xenophon wrote over two thousand years ago the more iron in a horses mouth
the less skill in the hands of the rider. As to biting a horse it's also a slow process, like Becky is
doing with Envoy. They can talk and when the bit doesn't work they will let you know in a skinny
minute.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:39 pm

Bits are just things horses learn to accept. If the bit is fitted properly and the horse's mouth is cared for, it shouldn't be uncomfortable. I compare it to mouth guards that football players wear. They aren't natural, but the players learn to tolerate them. Like Sue says, much depends on how a horse is started, and how the rider uses his/her hands. Harsh hands = harsh bit. And, harsh hands can actually flip a horse over with a long shanked hackamore.

Casper did really well tonight. We longed in saddle and halter. I found out that his used bridle broke, so he isn't going anywhere with me on his back until I can get a replacement. He learned voice commands for walk and trot. He obviously knows trot, but it seems that no one has asked him to go slowly and calmly. So, we did about a million transitions up to trot and back down to walk. He also hasn't been asked to work going to the right. We did some of that. His big challenge is learning to stop on the circle. I don't like a horse coming into the circle when we stop. I like them to stand and let me approach them. Safety first! Casper finally got that, and we stopped. I stuffed him full of horse cookies. Smile He looked very proud of himself when we came back into the barn so he could get brushed and put to bed. I think he likes having a job.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:37 am

****SIGH****I'm telling you children there is more to be learned at the walk and
on the ground than you can imagine. It's the basis for all. I hear you on that habit,
it can be unsettling at best. What a smart boy Smitten
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:48 pm

Wish I could've seen the look on Casper's face when you took him back to the barn. Bet it was priceless. Very Happy
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:16 pm

Sounds like Casper tried hard and really wanted to work well for you. What a good boy! He should be proud! So should you, Bek. You're giving him such a great second chance.
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:32 pm

He's got a ways to go, but he's a fun guy. He's getting along really well with the trainer's horses. She's considering letting everyone out together. The young filly thinks Casper is really cool. I don't think she's seen a gray horse before.

No riding or working for any of us today. I got caught in a horrible traffic jam. It took me almost an hour to go 2 miles to the closest exit. By the time I got done with cleaning, it was almost 8:00. It's an hour from the barn home, so I decided I'd go tomorrow. I normally take Fridays off, but I'll just swap today for tomorrow. Smile
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Short Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:53 pm

He is such a character. I'm glad you two found each other.
Sue Short
Sue Short

Back to top Go down

Post by fiffur Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:22 pm

I am glad you found each other too. Seems like a match made in heaven. Very Happy
fiffur
fiffur

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:43 pm

Bobby socks flirtation with the young filly? I think Casper's going to really like this new horizon once he gets used to the idea! Razz
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by bpaquet Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:35 pm

Heehee! I wonder if Lukie (the big old horse) will agree to let Casper flirt. He isn't as protective of the babies as Pavie was.
bpaquet
bpaquet
Shtinky's Shweetheart
Shtinky's Shweetheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzzzz Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:43 pm

Tell us about Lukie and Pavie! Question
Suzzzz
Suzzzz
Earl's Very Best Friend
Earl's Very Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next